Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US impose 14-day travel ban for Schengen (Information & Help thread - "noise free")

US impose 14-day travel ban for Schengen (Information & Help thread - "noise free")

Old Mar 11, 20, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

....for the next 30 days at least

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51846923
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
The UK is exempt, so it might actually be a boon for BA depending on how it's enforced/written...
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MR Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Spire; RR Gold
According to the DHS press release the specific restriction here is on passengers arriving in the US who have been in the Schengen Area within the last 14 days.

Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Source: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:23 pm

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Ex-EU trips and US travel ban (from March 13th for 30 days)

Doesn't affect me as I am still in China with no trips planned until May, but I figure that at some point a new clinic thread may be needed to deal specifically with this aspect, given the popularity of Ex-EU trips to the US (mods feel free to disagree and move this to the main COVID-19 cancellations and rebooking thread).

For people that have such Ex-EU trips to the US, especially if the positioning flight is also on BA (but also otherwise) I wonder if it might actually become sensible for BA to allow these trips to start in the UK (given that the alternative would be a complete cancellation)?

And of course details still need to be clarified on what would trigger the ban for an individual - would a low risk back to back (not going through immigration) be okay still?
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think you need to wait for the full details of the ban/restriction become available.
Otherwise, it would be nothing but speculation, which could potentially be harmful.

Give it a day or two for full details to be made available, and meanwhile, it is wise not to take any action or speculate.
Brighterside and GinFizz like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:28 pm

Some details. https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

It appears the ban applies to individuals who have been in one of the Schengen countries during the 14 days prior to entry to the US. It looks pretty clear, so cant see how ex EU routings will work. Maybe BA will allow the first sector to be dropped.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:47 pm

I have an EX-US trip that I think will be impacted. Can't think that BA will be very successful at getting flights operating profitably.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
There is no mention of the RoI which is neither Schengen or Mainland Europe

I'm due to do ARN-HEL-JFK next week so am looking for alternatives

if DUB is OK then I can go if not then I can't

Scrub that. I was in Belgium last weekend so am well and truly stuffed.
Old Mar 11, 20, 9:01 pm

Programs: ex- AA EXP, climbing ranks of BA now.
Just landed ExEU to JFK this evening... meant to be here a week, but now thinking about cutting it short.

Mean't to be flying exUK on 5th March and ExEU on 23rd- doubt those will happen!

We will have to wait and see, but this could well be rescinded shortly.
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Hello everyone,

If you are seeking information or have official information update, please re-post it on the new thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...oise-free.html

I tried to move some of your posts, because of the chronological order issue, I couldn't do it without messing up the new thread.
So, my apologies but please re-post any request for help, or official information on the new thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 11, 20 at 11:02 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: