Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CW/ F to HKG to reduce risk of contracting virus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted your opinions. I will be moving to Hong Kong soon and planning to book a ticket (one way) and have 2 options either to leave on CW/ F. There is basically availablity for CW almost everyday but for F, there is only 1 redemption on the 26th. I have been checking expertflyer for load of the flight and it seems almost all cabins that are leaving in a few days are full - not sure what it is like in real life though! Any inputs would be appreciated. I am not bothered about the "comfort" as CW will do just fine but what are your opinions about contracting it from neighbours within the cabin as we are packed like sardines so unsure if the CW divider would be any good. Of course social distancing would be really good but am I a bit paranoid? I have an N95 mask purchased for the flight.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:02 pm

Can you fly CX?
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Can you fly CX?
I was hoping to do that but there is no availability at all
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Just wanted your opinions. I will be moving to Hong Kong soon and planning to book a ticket (one way) and have 2 options either to leave on CW/ F. There is basically availablity for CW almost everyday but for F, there is only 1 redemption on the 26th. I have been checking expertflyer for load of the flight and it seems almost all cabins that are leaving in a few days are full - not sure what it is like in real life though! Any inputs would be appreciated. I am not bothered about the "comfort" as CW will do just fine but what are your opinions about contracting it from neighbours within the cabin as we are packed like sardines so unsure if the CW divider would be any good. Of course social distancing would be really good but am I a bit paranoid? I have an N95 mask purchased for the flight.
My Personal opinion , and with the kindest of intentions , but I feel there is just a little bit of over thinking and anxiety here . There again I have seen about 50 patients today so perhaps my compassion is wearing a bit thin this evening .

Last edited by simonsmith; Mar 11, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’d say it makes no sense anyway. If you are worried about neighbours, cw with screens on is actually more “protected” than f (not that the general suggestion of choosing between cw and f makes any sense to me in the first place).
AceCobra1 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
If you think CW is “packed like sardines” have a wander back to the rest of the aircraft.
AceCobra1, irishguy28 and etiene like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I am not bothered about the "comfort" as CW will do just fine but what are your opinions about contracting it from neighbours within the cabin as we are packed like sardines so unsure if the CW divider would be any good.
I have yet to see any Club World cabin "packed like sardines". Arguably, you could use that phrase to describe World Traveller. Are you sure that you haven't mixed up your cabins? Or is there a reason why you in particular, out of one or two hundred people on the flight, would be particularly at heightened risk if you were to slum it in Club World?
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I’d say it makes no sense anyway. If you are worried about neighbours, cw with screens on is actually more “protected” than f (not that the general suggestion of choosing between cw and f makes any sense to me in the first place).
Thanks for your inputs - when I mean packed like sardines, its because we are all sitting straight - unlike other J products which is akin to the BA F. Obviously I want to minimize the risk of getting the disease so I am thinking if it is worth waiting for a few extra days to go 1 cabin up as there will be more distance between each of us. Of course I don't know how full the CW cabin is but based on expertflyer, it seems quite full. Or perhaps there I am just overly cautious. However, looking at the way things are going, I would not be supprised if arrivals from UK will require qurantine.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
In my experience, moving from Y to J had a massive effect on me and my wife when we were living in Singapore (flying SQ). Flying Y We would always get colds, coughs - any sort of bug - and it was on different times of year so not winter related. I would definitely argue there is a strong correlation with space/ distance from other Pax and “protection” from J or F seats ie suites, high walls, spaced out etc.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:47 pm

I have an N95 mask purchased for the flight.
As has been reported ad infinitum, surgical or N95 masks offer no protection against catching this virus, you can leave it at home.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/t...ronavirus.html

AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I flew CW to HKG on Sunday. You'll be fine. Loading was about 70%. Just practice good hygiene, hand washing.

If you are that concerned, fly a cash fare with CX as all crew (and passengers) will be wearing masks and gloves
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Obviously I want to minimize the risk of getting the disease so I am thinking if it is worth waiting for a few extra days to go 1 cabin up as there will be more distance between each of us.
It's a disease with exponential growth. Waiting a few days will likely achieve the opposite of what you are trying to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.