Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

India essentially closing its borders for a month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India essentially closing its borders for a month

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Originally Posted by golfmad
I am not concerned about getting in but getting back!!

My ebusiness Visa will still work on the way in.
You may want to double check since my team in Delhi advised me differently this morning... If you do travel let us know how you get on
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Virtually all travel and trip cancellation insurance excludes pandemics/epidemics, at least that sold in the USA. That was recently highlighted in an article from Consumer Checkbook as yet another reason why this type of insurance is almost always a waste of money.
My UK travel insurance covers it - they classify it as a Natural Disaster!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Donsyb
My UK travel insurance covers it - they classify it as a Natural Disaster!
Who is your provider?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Yanshuf
Who is your provider?
NatWest bank
Yanshuf likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
My planned trip to Chennai and Bangkok is now FUBAR-ed. MAA definitely off, Just trying to decide whether to risk BKK and possibly being stuck there..
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Only1BD
You may want to double check since my team in Delhi advised me differently this morning... If you do travel let us know how you get on
I should have clarified. My eVisa would have worked because I would have arrived a few hours before the visa cancellations took effect. In the end I decided to cancel the trip completely and am now headed home.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Update 3 for India
- allows rebooking until 1 August, no penalty but fare differences will be charged where applicable
- changes to stopover or changes to destinations not allowed (unlike USA)
- Refund, no, but the same USA provision, allowing the value of the booking to be retained for a future booking within 12 months. This has to be redeemed (not necessarily travelled) within 12 month of the original booking.

The above is for flights still operating, which may be tricky to arrange anyway. I would expect cancellations.
CharlotteC, golfmad and 13901 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Update 3 for India
- allows rebooking until 1 August, no penalty but fare differences will be charged where applicable
- changes to stopover or changes to destinations not allowed (unlike USA)
- Refund, no, but the same USA provision, allowing the value of the booking to be retained for a future booking within 12 months. This has to be redeemed (not necessarily travelled) within 12 month of the original booking.

The above is for flights still operating, which may be tricky to arrange anyway. I would expect cancellations.
I guess one must call to proceed to do these changes (i.e. not on-line, right?)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 13901
I guess one must call to proceed to do these changes (i.e. not on-line, right?)
Yes, this is beyond BA's IT.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, this is beyond BA's IT.
I simulated a change to May and the surcharge seems to be Ł145. Will try tomorrow, but if that's the price to salvage the trip I might as well bite the bullet and open the wallet. Thanks c-w-s.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:46 pm

Called BA's US number. Got rebooked to late May, for free, with relatively little hassle. Interestingly enough they didn't say that I could've rebooked up until August, but that the outbound had to be at least before 31/5. May is good for me anyway - hopefully - so not an issue.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I have a BA holiday booking to India for Easter, I have not called BA Holidays because it is in early April - people with more pressing needs can sort out their problems. Do the same rules apply to BA holiday bookings as well or do they operate on a different basis?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
I have a BA holiday booking to India for Easter, I have not called BA Holidays because it is in early April - people with more pressing needs can sort out their problems. Do the same rules apply to BA holiday bookings as well or do they operate on a different basis?
Generally they follow the same updates, but you have greater consumer protection in that the holiday has to be fit for purpose. So if the place went into mandatory quarantine you are in a stronger place than someone with a conventional booking, for example BA Holidays has to offer an alternative. This is assuming you have met the requirements of "The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018", which should be in the documentation received from BA.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by golfmad
For info, the duty manager here at JFK offered me a cancellation and full refund for my trip.
Just to follow up on this. I spoke with the GGL team who advised that the duty manager did make good on her full refund offer (that she scribbled on a piece of paper). It has now been actioned. Very fortunate outcome.
cbagent likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by CharlotteC
I am supposed to be flying to Mumbai on 21 March and ideally would love to reschedule for April
If I'm fair, I wouldn't reschedule for April. The UK will be in a worse situation then, not improved. Far more cases. With that in mind, chances of India letting you in in April is lower than March, in my opinion.

COVID-19 isn't going away in a month, so delaying a month isn't advisable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.