Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA and BEY [Route cancelled from 12 May 2020]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum

Hi. Just had a notification that my trip to Beirut has been cancelled in late August and it seems to have disappeared from the timetables online. Haven't got through to BA yet on the phone and there's no rebooking option online. Does any one know if this route has been cancelled or if they're just going through a timetable adjustment in light of recent events? There's a very large group of us off to a wedding on multiple ticket types all on the same flight so want to rapidly work out alternative options if necessary.

Last edited by IslingtonFlyer; Mar 11, 2020 at 6:43 am Reason: Update on route close date
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Looks like the route has been canned from 10 May.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In view of the fact that you really do need some very good advice and alternative options quickly, and that BA's phone lines are jammed, a more descriptive thread title might attract attention on this very busy and fast-moving forum. "BA and BEY" means little and sounds dull.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no rebooking policy as of yet - so pointless to call up (unless all you want is a refund). Give it a couple days for a policy to come out (hopefully).
IslingtonFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
There is no rebooking policy as of yet - so pointless to call up (unless all you want is a refund). Give it a couple days for a policy to come out (hopefully).
Thank you for this - i did speak to BA and they confirmed the Beirut is cancelled as of the 12th May. She said they're working through options and did offer routing via Amman but not for the 14 seats i need so your guidance was correct! Will try again in a few days. A real shame to see this route go.

(Re the title I would edit it if I knew how, to flag the BEY route is closed)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
Thank you for this - i did speak to BA and they confirmed the Beirut is cancelled as of the 12th May. She said they're working through options and did offer routing via Amman but not for the 14 seats i need so your guidance was correct! Will try again in a few days. A real shame to see this route go.

(Re the title I would edit it if I knew how, to flag the BEY route is closed)
I have requested the thread title change for you.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I have requested the thread title change for you.
Just managed it myself! Thanks for your help!
golfmad likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:36 am

Not sure if I'm going to far, but could this mean the mid-haul 321s are being converted to regular euro configuration? Or that they are delayed undergoing maintenance?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Check TK via IST.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by ramzi
Not sure if I'm going to far, but could this mean the mid-haul 321s are being converted to regular euro configuration? Or that they are delayed undergoing maintenance?
I think it has more to do with the situation in BEY - and nothing to do with COVID-19 for a change. Lebanon underwent a sovereign default and I believe (foreign) currency controls have been implemented. In other words, most BEY-originating traffic has a difficult time paying for tickets. I don't know about other airlines, but I've read JU (Air Serbia) already cancelled their BEY flights a while back, and with much more immediate effect.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am going there on 8 and back on 10 May so looks like I am on the last flight out of dodge!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by LiHS
I think it has more to do with the situation in BEY - and nothing to do with COVID-19 for a change. Lebanon underwent a sovereign default and I believe (foreign) currency controls have been implemented. In other words, most BEY-originating traffic has a difficult time paying for tickets. I don't know about other airlines, but I've read JU (Air Serbia) already cancelled their BEY flights a while back, and with much more immediate effect.
The odd thing about that is they are very late cancelling, and they are cancelling during the high season which will without doubt be better than the past 4 months have been. Airlines who cancelled did so by the beginning of 2020 at the latest, after they didn't get the expected traffic during the holidays. I'm not saying the economic situation isn't a big reason, I just feel there was another contributing factor that finally tipped the balance and pushed the decision through.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is converting at least one of the remaining midhaul 321s to shorthaul, to use the Flybe slots. Seems a bit quick for that to be the reason, but... aren't the Flybe slots in BA's hands from 11 May?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:19 am

My guess is converting at least one of the remaining midhaul 321s to shorthaul, to use the Flybe slots. Seems a bit quick for that to be the reason, but... aren't the Flybe slots in BA's hands from 11 May?
Bingo.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by ramzi
The odd thing about that is they are very late cancelling, and they are cancelling during the high season which will without doubt be better than the past 4 months have been. Airlines who cancelled did so by the beginning of 2020 at the latest, after they didn't get the expected traffic during the holidays. I'm not saying the economic situation isn't a big reason, I just feel there was another contributing factor that finally tipped the balance and pushed the decision through.
I definitely find the timing confusing as well - a two-month notice is both a bit long for a crisis-response and atypically short/oddly timed for a suspension of a long-standing service for commercial reasons. Maybe it's as simple as an accountant calculating they have enough fully-paid-for tickets for services before 11May to be worth operating but not enough for after 11May. Whatever the proximate cause is, I can't say I'm surprised that route is being pulled - between the pandemic-led global downturn in travel and the local economic situation, it's almost a perfect storm.

Following added in edit
Right, excellent point! That clarifies why that date was chosen - the economic incentives experience a substantial change on that day, and BEY is likely one of the most marginal route on account of length and factors discussed above.

Last edited by LiHS; Mar 11, 2020 at 9:28 am Reason: pertinent comment published while writing mine

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.