Flying from India to Thailand

Old Mar 11, 20, 5:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: antwerp Belgium
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 178
Flying from India to Thailand

I just read that Thailand does not allow people coming from India entering the country. I have a trip in India before Thailand. At the moment I am thinking of flying to Delhi with BA ( I do not think BA will give me a refund when I cancel)
I have a flexible ticket on Thai so I can change this and connect immediately on that flight so I stay in transit at Delhi airport. Does anyone know if this a valid option. I would only travel with hand luggage.
scubadave is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:22 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London
Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Posts: 2,977
Just as a marker, with this type of news (UK Citizens to Vietnam, Anyone to Israel - see VS today) there is no point in the airline flying, so I cannot foresee TG keeping the BKK-DEL flight, so do consider if any changes you may will end up being in vain...

PG cancelled all USM-HKG flights yesterday on the back of the declaration (India & HKG in same situation). If Thailand is your priority i'd really focus on going direct.

To be more specific, i'd probably still get a Indian visa to cover your self if the TG flight gets cancelled whilst you're in middair...
Sam Bee is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:23 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Vale of Glamorgan
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,608
Thailand has suspended its visa on arrival option for Indian citizens, and 17 other nationalities, but I haven't read anywhere that they are preventing people who have recently been to India from entering the country. Do you have a source?
Misco60 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:29 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Posts: 2,683
What is the source of this? Local news here do not cite India as a banned country yet, nor do official directives.

What has been suspended though, is visa on arrival from 18 countries including India.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/...ernal_referral

ETA: Misco60 beat me to it
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:36 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by scubadave View Post
I just read that Thailand does not allow people coming from India entering the country. I have a trip in India before Thailand. At the moment I am thinking of flying to Delhi with BA ( I do not think BA will give me a refund when I cancel)
I have a flexible ticket on Thai so I can change this and connect immediately on that flight so I stay in transit at Delhi airport. Does anyone know if this a valid option. I would only travel with hand luggage.
There's too much reliance on rumour rather than fact checking. The following authoritative link gives the latest information:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

For Thailand, the above link states:

THAILAND - published 09.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). They must be under doctor's observation 14 days before issuing date. The Health Certificate must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.

There are more clauses, but mainly referring to airline crew.

Things may, and will, change, but please rely on facts not rumours.

Doc Copper

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Mar 11, 20 at 5:57 am
DoctorCopper is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 5:37 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: antwerp Belgium
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 178
Hello , I was thinking that when you had visited India as a tourist it would be the same as been a resident of India. I have my Indian visa so no problem for that. Thanks for your replies we will see how everything evolves.
scubadave is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 868
Originally Posted by scubadave View Post
Hello , I was thinking that when you had visited India as a tourist it would be the same as been a resident of India. I have my Indian visa so no problem for that. Thanks for your replies we will see how everything evolves.

India has just changed rules for entry (Starting tomorrow).
"A minimum 14-day quarantine has also been announced for all incoming travelers - including Indian nationals - arriving from or having visited China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, Spain and Germany after 15 February."

I am sure you will check before travel.
ft4lyf is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:43 pm
  #8  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 22,088
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper View Post
There's too much reliance on rumour rather than fact checking. The following authoritative link gives the latest information:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

For Thailand, the above link states:

THAILAND - published 09.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). They must be under doctor's observation 14 days before issuing date. The Health Certificate must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.

There are more clauses, but mainly referring to airline crew.

Things may, and will, change, but please rely on facts not rumours.
Be very careful with that IATA page. The information is far from fully up-to-date, and there are large number of requirements missing, some of which are quite important and relevant (e.g. self-isolation requirements).

It also generally does not include officially announced but not-yet-active requirements/restrictions.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:17 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by scubadave View Post
I have my Indian visa so no problem for that.
The government has just cancelled a lot of visas. Verify that yours is even valid now.
devdas is offline  
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Be very careful with that IATA page. The information is far from fully up-to-date, and there are large number of requirements missing, some of which are quite important and relevant (e.g. self-isolation requirements).

It also generally does not include officially announced but not-yet-active requirements/restrictions.
Noted. This page might assist the OP as its the official position of the government of Thailand:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

Doc Copper
(I am not a medical doctor)
LTN Phobia likes this.
DoctorCopper is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 12:06 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Stockholm, Sweden.
Programs: BA, JAL
Posts: 689
If British, you are exempt from needing a visa.

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Mar 12, 20 at 1:14 am
RollAnotherFatOne is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 2:57 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne View Post
If British, you are exempt from needing a visa.
The OP can confirm, but I understand the visa to which the OP refers relates to India not Thailand.

Doc Copper
HarryKUK likes this.
DoctorCopper is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Stockholm, Sweden.
Programs: BA, JAL
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper View Post
The OP can confirm, but I understand the visa to which the OP refers relates to India not Thailand.

Doc Copper
His opening line indicates his concern at getting through immigration in Thailand: "I just read that Thailand does not allow people coming from India entering the country". An Indian visa in this regard would be immaterial.

Some nationalities do need a visa to get into Thailand and for some people the Thai embassy website could be confusing when it says all 'on arrival visas are temporarily suspended' [paraphrased]. I was just pointing out that if he was UK, then don't be confused by this (as I was) - I'm heading to Thailand next week and constantly updating the latest government information as it's an Ex-Eu ticket that touches a couple of european countries.
RollAnotherFatOne is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 9:59 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne View Post
His opening line indicates his concern at getting through immigration in Thailand: "I just read that Thailand does not allow people coming from India entering the country". An Indian visa in this regard would be immaterial.

Some nationalities do need a visa to get into Thailand and for some people the Thai embassy website could be confusing when it says all 'on arrival visas are temporarily suspended' [paraphrased]. I was just pointing out that if he was UK, then don't be confused by this (as I was) - I'm heading to Thailand next week and constantly updating the latest government information as it's an Ex-Eu ticket that touches a couple of european countries.
Thanks for this, but only the OP can clarify the visa situation.

I am in Thailand at the moment, returning to the UK shortly. I had a meeting on Thursday afternoon with a person advising the Thai government on policy in this regard. That wasnt the purpose of my meeting but it cropped up in the conversation.

Not sure if this helps but he said the situation was confusing and changing continually. All anyone can do is keep checking for the latest official information.

Doc Copper
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
DoctorCopper is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 10:09 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LGW.
Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Posts: 731
U'm supposed to be heading to BKK next tuesday for two weeks..just don't know what to do now !
no longer atc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread