What taxes are refunded

Old Mar 9, 20, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
What taxes are refunded

Hi,

I booked two one way tickets using Avios. I was thinking about canceling. I paid over $2400 in taxes for both my husband and I. The flights are international. I called BA to see what taxes were refundable. The agent told me that she would not know that until I cancel. She would charge me an extra $25 to cancel with her. Does anyone know what taxes are refundable and what taxes are not? Thank you
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For reward tickets (i.e. those you book via the reward search page on ba.com) as long as you cancel more than 24 hours before the booking starts you will get all the avios back and all the taxes/fees/charges back minus a $55 per person cancellation fee.

if you choose the cancellation option online often it will provide a cancellation quote. However sometimes if a manual cancellation is needed it won’t show the exact figures at the point of cancellation.
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
With Avios it’s a maximum charge of GBP 35.00 per person fee that applies so you will get back anything over that. This is making Avios bookings relatively flexible for a small fee. It has to be done 24 hours before outward journey.

as has been advised if the agent does it for you an additional fee is charged over the telephone.

You should be able to get a refund quote on Manage My Booking before you confirm and commit to this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. How long ago did you book and when does the travel start?
2. Are you certain that it is $2,400 in taxes ($1,200 each) or is a portion of that BA's fees, not taxes?
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can you not look at the cancellation page online? Just click through the first bit and it will give you a breakdown of the money to be refunded before you decide to cancel or not.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Unless it is 24 hours before the flight, online cancelation is $35 per person, all taxes, surcharges and Avios will be returned.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Mary Louise View Post
Hi,

I booked two one way tickets using Avios. I was thinking about canceling. I paid over $2400 in taxes for both my husband and I. The flights are international. I called BA to see what taxes were refundable. The agent told me that she would not know that until I cancel. She would charge me an extra $25 to cancel with her. Does anyone know what taxes are refundable and what taxes are not? Thank you
Just checking... can you confirm your route and cabin?

As this is one way, $1200 per person sounds high, even from the US. Are you sure you paid for reward flights and not cash fares but using avios to reduce the cost or to upgrade to the next available cabin?
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gshumway View Post
Unless it is 24 hours before the flight, online cancelation is $35 per person, all taxes, surcharges and Avios will be returned.
the cancellation fee is $55 it's 35£ for online cancellations as long as it's more than 24 hours before travel everything else will be refunded
Old Mar 10, 20, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Just checking... can you confirm your route and cabin?

As this is one way, $1200 per person sounds high, even from the US. Are you sure you paid for reward flights and not cash fares but using avios to reduce the cost or to upgrade to the next available cabin?
Important point. A ticket booked as a “pure” reward, which has some fees attached to it, is cancellable for £35. A ticket which is quoted in cash, but made cheaper by using some Avios, is I believe subject to the underlying fare conditions of the cash ticket (which are probably far less flexible).
Old Mar 10, 20, 3:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
Important point. A ticket booked as a “pure” reward, which has some fees attached to it, is cancellable for £35. A ticket which is quoted in cash, but made cheaper by using some Avios, is I believe subject to the underlying fare conditions of the cash ticket (which are probably far less flexible).
Yes good point. If you do a " part pay with avios " then the avios are only refundable if the underlying fare is refundable.
Old Mar 10, 20, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Hi,

Here is the taxes and fees for the outbound.

Taxes/fees/charges Government, authority and airport charges Per adult US USD 18.60 OG USD 0.75 Departure Charge - Spain USD 11.41 Security Tax - Spain USD 2.59 Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee - USA USD 5.60 YQ USD 600.00 Total government, authority and airport charges*
USD 638.95 British Airways fees and surcharges Per adult Passenger Facility Charge USD 4.50 Total British Airways fees and surcharges
USD 4.50 Total taxes, fees and surcharges per person USD 643.45
Old Mar 10, 20, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk777 View Post
the cancellation fee is $55 it's 35£ for online cancellations as long as it's more than 24 hours before travel everything else will be refunded
The cancellation fee online is £35 for UK or $55 for USA. Offline if you call add £15 for UK or $25 for USA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: