Fast track immigration for BA at AUH

Old Mar 9, 20, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
Fast track immigration for BA at AUH

I will be flying to Abu Dhabi on BA73 shortly. I was wondering if there is any fast track immigration - Iím having a rare trip in F. I have done some googling and have found references to Ďblue cardsí for fast track being handed out, but canít find out if this is true for BA.

Also, how busy is AUH at that time of night? (00:15 scheduled arrival)

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I flew BA73 in F in November of last year and we did not receive any blue cards. I was not bothered as the queue was small - if only the immigration officers were a bit more efficient but i donít think you need to be worried about long waiting times at that time of day. I did the EY flight which landed shortly after BA73 a few times before that and never had any issues.

Enjoy the trip
Old Mar 9, 20, 4:43 pm

Programs: JE SUIS EXTRAORDINAIRE
I believe smart gates are available in auh if you have a passport from certain countries. Thereafter never more than 20 seconds in Auh r dxb
Old Mar 9, 20, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I went to AUH in Feb twice and both times there was no one at the smart gates and that puts you into the baggage hall via a carryon bag scan in under 2 mins. You can use the smart gates if you've been to the UAE previously with a UK passport.
John
Old Mar 9, 20, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, BA LTG, BA GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Originally Posted by thejohn View Post
...you can use the smart gates if you've been to the UAE previously with a UK passport....
Has that now changed? Excellent news if so. DXB and AUH smart gates did not used to be linked, and required separate registrations at a manned gate for each airport - only if requested prior to commencement of processing at DXB and seemingly automatic at AUH. YMMV.

Last edited by rjn21; Mar 10, 20 at 2:41 am
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:37 pm

You have to have been registered previously in order to use the e-gates. However, so many use the e-gates that the regular queue is normally pretty light. Ask for the fast track in anycase, but to be honest fast track is only useful over at T3 arrivals.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by rjn21 View Post
Has that now changed? Excellent news if so. DXB and AUH smart gates did not use to be linked, and required separate registrations at a manned gate for each airport - only if requested prior to commencement of processing at DXB and seemingly automatic at AUH. YMMV.
Still no link between the two.
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
Thanks for the replies. I’ve not been to Abu Dhabi before, I guess it”s the ‘normal’ immigration desks for me,
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
You have to have been registered previously in order to use the e-gates. However, so many use the e-gates that the regular queue is normally pretty light. Ask for the fast track in anycase, but to be honest fast track is only useful over at T3 arrivals.
that's what I was told by the guy directing traffic at immigration. But there may have been a language issue.
John
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
Still no link between the two.
I don't know if you are able to expand on that, but I know that I was registered in AUH and I also know the same passport opens the e-gates in AUH and DXB.
Old Mar 10, 20, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I don't know if you are able to expand on that, but I know that I was registered in AUH and I also know the same passport opens the e-gates in AUH and DXB.
Oh! It might be different for residents maybe. I rarely fly out of Dubai, but when I did last November it didn't work and I had to go to the guy at the desk who explained they were not linked. He then "activated" my Emirates ID on the machine and off I went.
NoY likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 4:58 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Originally Posted by SomersetCyder View Post
Thanks for the replies. Iíve not been to Abu Dhabi before, I guess itĒs the Ďnormalí immigration desks for me,
A few weeks ago, we arrived behind Air France but the queue were still light. The regular queue is not too bad, once they processed UAE nationals/GCC passport those from other countries are redirected to the desk.
Now what could take time are the checks: several of us (including me and a BA crew) were pulled apart and our passport taken inside a closed office while we were waiting outside. It took between a few minutes for some to 25 minutes for me to more for some (were waiting when I arrive and still waiting after I left). I have no idea what they were checking for (I was pulled after the guy at the immigration desk made a few faces after scanning my passport).
Old Mar 10, 20, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
A few weeks ago, we arrived behind Air France but the queue were still light. The regular queue is not too bad, once they processed UAE nationals/GCC passport those from other countries are redirected to the desk.
If you do have to queue, always join the queue nearest to the UAE/GCC desk, watch the passport officer, and get ready to move briskly to the head of the new queue when he/she opens the desk to everyone.
Old Mar 10, 20, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I've flown into AUH and DXB about 30 times over the past three years, the majority of them LHR-AUH on BA073, which does not supply fast track passes.
AUH and DXB e-gates are, in fact, only open to those who have visited previously, and the systems are not linked; separate registrations are required.
That said, the queue for immigration usually is very short, especially for a passenger flying in F.
NoY likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
Now what could take time are the checks: several of us (including me and a BA crew) were pulled apart and our passport taken inside a closed office while we were waiting outside. It took between a few minutes for some to 25 minutes for me to more for some (were waiting when I arrive and still waiting after I left). I have no idea what they were checking for (I was pulled after the guy at the immigration desk made a few faces after scanning my passport).
Either you were not at AUH or were not behind AF. They do not fly to AUH (though they do fly to DXB).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: