Search

Rumour: BA return to Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Rumour: BA return to Melbourne

From an article today on God Save the Points:

Before a route is launched, the airline must purchase on board digital documents which pilots use for situational awareness on the ground, called the on-board airport navigation system (OANS), and like many things in the modern world, each airport must be purchased separately!

According to multiple BA pilots with first hand knowledge, Melbourne is now a listed destination in the on board digital airport navigation system. Again, every other airport available in this important flight system is an actual British Airways A350 destination, or will soon be, with service announced.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
The BA A380 OANS database contains loads of airports BA will never serve with it including Melbourne. This means literally nothing.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Wonderful if true on many counts. Great to be going to Melbourne again. Great that's it's an A350 too. Such a wonderful city! Such a wonderful plane!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
The BA A380 OANS database contains loads of airports BA will never serve with it including Melbourne. This means literally nothing.
Hope dashed so quickly!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Another quality post by GSTP
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:45 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
This may sound like a stupid question but...................Would they not get it/have it in case of diversions anyway?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BA and Qatar have made legally binding submissions to the Australia Aviation authorities to get permission to form a JV covering Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Canberra - see our article here https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...joint-venture/

Nowhere in this binding submission does BA say it wants to fly direct. This fact would, of course, have a VERY material impact on getting Government approval to co-operate with Qatar Airways on flights to Melbourne.

The very fact that BA flies to Sydney is the reason that Sydney is not included in this joint venture application.
YacozA, :D!, James91 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
This may sound like a stupid question but...................Would they not get it/have it in case of diversions anyway?
Wouldn't surprise me if CYQX/Gander, CYYR/Goose Bay and CYFB/Iqaluit were in their database as well, all common diversion points for transatlantic traffic. I'd eat my shorts if BA announced scheduled service to one of those.
BearX220, wrp96 and etiene like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Running a service to Melbourne requires more than 2 aircraft. I cannot see BA doing that.
wemyss likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by BAeuro
more like a QR codeshare and the rest is clickbait to boost readership of a mediocre website.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Melbourne

Originally Posted by Rubecula
Running a service to Melbourne requires more than 2 aircraft. I cannot see BA doing that.
Yes just as a BA 777 sits forlorn at SYD for the day, on a remote stand, seemingly doing nothing, until it's late afternoon departure back to SIN.
Think they'll rely on QR for MEL, as they do for ADL (soon to have Q SUITES this month) on the excellent A350.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Another quality post by GSTP
Is this the same person who said BA can't fly the A350 on true long-haul due to lack of space for meals? I seem to recall he said he'd come on here and apologise if BA announced such a route but, since Tokyo has been reinstated as an A350 destination, I haven't seen his apology.

I would say to him "don't give up your day job", but this probably is his day job in which case he should give it up.
holtju2, DYKWIA, T8191 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:01 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
BA SYD flights have been known to divert to MEL in the past.

It might be the case that the A350 will take over the LHR-SIN-SYD route from the 777-300, especially when the -300's get the reduced F cabin and new CS.
Elevate and revorgap like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Please let it be true! Love the A350 and would rather fly on BA than QR.

LHR-SGN/HAN-MEL would be a great routing.
N830MH likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
Wouldn't surprise me if CYQX/Gander, CYYR/Goose Bay and CYFB/Iqaluit were in their database as well, all common diversion points for transatlantic traffic. I'd eat my shorts if BA announced scheduled service to one of those.
Condor serves Whitehorse, Yukon non-stop from FRA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.