Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a ESA (Dog) LHR-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hello,
I assume the trip didn't go ahead because of COVID. If you did still go, can you please tell us how the trip went?
I have travelled 15 months ago with an ESA dog LHR/LAX/LHR business class on AA and she did wonderfully. No issue at all with holding pee and poo. No other passenger noticed except when we walked to/from the toilets and some people (esp children) asked to pet her and cooed with joy.
Only snag is that AA did not do the paperwork correctly so when we landed it appeared that our flight was not carrying any dogs. So we were questioned by the FA on whether we had smuggled her, which was really offensive, but easily solved once I showed all the paperwork.
AA seems to be a bit lighter than BA on the requirements (e.g. they only need a letter from the psychotherapist, not from the dog trainer). Also the seat configuration on AA is better.
However, we are flying in the autumn again and need to do so with our 2 year old daughter and dog and nanny so we're booking on BA avios. That's going to be fun (joking).
Bottomline is: as long as you're confident that you need an ESA to withstand such a long flight (which I do), and are confident that you've trained your ESA well and that you have all the paperwork in order, it's totally doable.
I would never do it for trips shorter than a month personally, but that has more to do with my stress rather than the animal.
Ask yourself: if you are scared that other passengers would notice your dog, don't fly with him/her. As simple as that.
All the best
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I only ever came across 3 puppers on my flights, but then had to move to a different working position on the aircraft due to allergies...

Always disappointing as I am a massive dog lover.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by babats
Plural of roof is rooves - at least it was when I went to school
rooves is OK, but it's an archaicism, as such maybe used in American english.

Or perhaps you just went to school a long time ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.