Flying with a ESA (Dog) LHR-LAX

Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by plunet
A bit of a tangent, but how could a horse be secured for take off, landing and turbulence in the cabin normally configured for passengers?
Carefully
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by plunet
A bit of a tangent, but how could a horse be secured for take off, landing and turbulence in the cabin normally configured for passengers?
It doesn’t look like a very stable environment to me.......oh wait......

Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
By all means, criticise the policy, but not the OP or their partner. That's not on.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think the OP was hoping for advice not uninformed prejudice and ridicule.
flygirl68, wrp96, mikeyfly and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Hey gang,

My wife has an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), our dog and we will be going to LAX on BA283 in a couple of weeks. BA have been incredibly supportive and helpful. We will be flying J and I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience flying with a dog long haul? Any tips/advice from owners regarding the welfare of the dog?

Thanks,

Gaz
If you're truly concerned with the welfare of the dog leave them with a trusted person at home. Or perhaps ask the organization that trained and certified your dog for advice. If you're just using the ESA label to get the dog in the cabin then I promise you that you'll have of the most miserable 12 hours of your life.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by stuvoi
i was listening to jason manford on absolute 80s.

He was talking about emotional support animals and said about aa who had an esa horse in first class on a flight. (had a check and aa allow esa cats, dogs & horses)

on ba help page (they only allow esa dogs):emotional support dogs can only be accepted in the cabin on direct flights to or from the united states of america. If your journey is not to or from the usa, or includes a connection onto a non-usa flight, your emotional support dog will need to travel in the hold.

You need to contact us at least 14 days before your flight, as we need additional information to ensure your emotional support dog can travel safely in the cabin.

Also, you must contact the uk animal reception centre at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure of your flight to the uk to check your dog meets pet travel scheme requirements. They will issue a pre-approval letter for uk entry that must be presented at check-in, along with your approval from us, for you and your dog to be allowed to board your flight to the uk.
a horse 😲
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 13901
Can I bring my screaming goat on board?
Aren't you a bit old for a nanny?
JayeJ likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is that better than the Speedbird IPA?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:00 am

If you are on Facebook, there is a page/group called British Airways Fan Page. There is a lady in there called Inger who regularly flies with her guide dog. Usually on short haul but I’m sure she would be happy to pass on some tips.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Hey gang,

My wife has an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), our dog and we will be going to LAX on BA283 in a couple of weeks. BA have been incredibly supportive and helpful. We will be flying J and I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience flying with a dog long haul? Any tips/advice from owners regarding the welfare of the dog?

Thanks,

Gaz
What type of dog is this?

I'm curious as to how the dog would be secured for takeoff and landing, particularly as there is no obvious way to do this in the CW cabin. It's a long flight to LAX, and our dog (healthy Lab) wouldn't be able to hold in a number 1 or 2 for that length during the day. I really do think it would be better for all concerned for the pet to travel in the hold.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
OP, I have to say I have never seen a dog on long-haul, even a registered service dog. But there are resources at e.g. Guide Dogs for travel with your dog: https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/resourc.../travel-by-air

And specifically for welfare of the dog for travel more than 3 hours, which covers guidance for feeding, drinking, 'spend', and extra equipment you should consider: https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/resourc...of-a-guide-dog

Assuming the ESA dog is trained to the same level as registered service dogs, have BA indicated whether you will be assisted through Heathrow or will be able to direct you to the 'spend' facility?

I hope your travel goes smoothly, but as indicated by the responses to your post, I am sure you are aware you may get some hostile looks from fellow passengers, particularly as your dog will not be on a registered service harness.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:04 am

This topic could easily make the post of the day/week.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Yes of course most welcome.

Please arrange c/o Gate Gourmet, Heathrow Airport, Bldg, 1071 Southampton Rd, Hounslow TW6 3AQ, United Kingdom
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Goat Gourmet surely?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Two dogs (clearly not guide dogs) on my recent AA flight from MXP to MIA, think they travelled in the rear J cabin so only noticed them on disembarking. One was a large dog and as he exited the plane his rear legs gave way beneath him and he was struggling to walk, so he clearly hadn't coped well with being couped up so long. The other was a tiny thing and wearing a nappy, which was completely pointless as in the immigration hall he stopped and peed and left a giant puddle on the floor (the Italian owner just carried on and completely ignored it). I would therefore suggest that unless they are specially trained, dogs really aren't suited to long haul travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.