Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change Fees for Tickets booked BEFORE the CV 19 Alert, Involving Areas With Disease

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fees for Tickets booked BEFORE the CV 19 Alert, Involving Areas With Disease

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Hawk777
maybe people wouldn't have considered it erm much of a rant if in post 1 you didn't make insane accusations of criminality?

Also another daft accusation of paltry pay for booking agents just checked my pay slips and I certainly don't do wider what I earn paltry.

and rebooking does cost say someone bought a cheap ticket for a random midweek and the airlines given them a free change outside of the t and cs and they want to change it to a date that is in peak travel season so usually a lot more expensive ticket, the airlines have then lost out on the price of that ticket
That wouldn’t happen if BA just rolled out their ‘book with confidence’ policy in retrospect. Free changes but collect the fare difference.
ttama likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So OP, do you actually have any relevant BA flights or are you merely suggesting BA’s evil management be shot for profiteering by marching you to a scary but imagined death?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
and rebooking does cost say someone bought a cheap ticket for a random midweek and the airlines given them a free change outside of the t and cs and they want to change it to a date that is in peak travel season so usually a lot more expensive ticket, the airlines have then lost out on the price of that ticket
I never suggested not to apply the fare difference,...

Originally Posted by sigma421
That wouldn’t happen if BA just rolled out their ‘book with confidence’ policy in retrospect. Free changes but collect the fare difference.
Exactly.

Your (accurate) example of a very specific case amply regognizes that there is no cost associated with most other rebookings. QED.
The solution is to apply the fare difference, I never suggested otherwise. I am not even suggesting applying it UP or DOWN.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 10, 2020 at 2:00 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
My Finnair free change was okayed 3 days ago on principle, done only yesterday because I took time to select the dates.
very odd since AY did not have a blanket fee free change policy at all three days ago and would only allow changes for routes which were cancelled. What route was it?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KARFA
very odd since AY did not have a blanket fee free change policy at all three days ago and would only allow changes for routes which were cancelled. What route was it?
AY policy just changed yesterday. It's only the change fee that's waived though.
(It doesn't seem to apply to codeshares). https://www.finnair.com/gb-en/flight...travel-updates
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
AY policy just changed yesterday. It's only the change fee that's waived though.
(It doesn't seem to apply to codeshares). https://www.finnair.com/gb-en/flight...travel-updates
yes I agree. Which makes it odd that the OP was able to get a change done without a change fee three days ago. As noted upthread my experience with AY last week was changes were only done per fare rules unless the flight was cancelled. I would be interested to hear what route this was on.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:02 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by lily23
I’ll chime in. I have 4 upcoming ba flights (London, nice, Glasgow, Seattle) in the next few weeks and I thought I’d call in today to see whether I could postpone without any fees but no luck. Would I have wanted to have that option and do I think ba would build more goodwill if they offered this? Obviously yes. But I also think if it’s so dangerous that I don’t want to fly, then I’d just pay the change fees, in the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge amount of money for peace of mind. In any case I’m going to wait and see how things play out before deciding whether to fly or not, but my decision will be based more on the odds of travel disruption, quarantine, or number of new cases rather than waived change fees. Arguably even if something happens, I’d be better off with the NHS than the shambles that we call health care in the US!
Have no BA flights at the moment except a redemption from SA and paid flights to Victoria Falls and Livingstone from JNB end of May. Not planning to make changes for the time being. However, I had a few flights with AF in March/April. Called the Platinum line and moved them to May/June. No fuss, no penalty fee, no waiting on the line... All done within 5 minutes.

Again shows the difference between BA and AF. Seen a few tweets about flights to TLV. BA insists there are no waivers for changes although distressed passengers were worried about going there and getting quarantined. It is just a new low for BA.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
I got emails from KLM and even more shocking Air France who are usually as tight as hell saying that I can freely change any flights I have currently booked up to the end of May that I have booked on KLM/Air France or Delta. Annoyingly all my long hauls are BA - guess it's a waiting game to see if BA do the same as all my current flights were booked prior to the 3rd March.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Roryb
I got emails from KLM and even more shocking Air France who are usually as tight as hell saying that I can freely change any flights I have currently booked up to the end of May that I have booked on KLM/Air France or Delta. Annoyingly all my long hauls are BA - guess it's a waiting game to see if BA do the same as all my current flights were booked prior to the 3rd March.
You can change all your KLM and AF flights until en of June. The waiver has been extended yesterday!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
That this thread is evolving from staunchly defending BA's policy and calling me a ranter to listing the growing list of airlines waiving their change fee policies and giving implementation dates (often with errors), is an excellent sign. Strictly for info, my AY waiver was granted (way before yesterday, see above...) by calling the AY customer service "Elite" line (I am OW Emerald) in HEL, not their local number (doesn't seem to be one other than general in the US anyway, with endless wait). Given the speed at which my request was granted "in principle", as I gave no reticketing date, I obviously wasn't the first case.

With more and more airlines choosing the honorable behavior, BA WILL eventually relent, as nobody likes or can afford to look like the last bully. They might as well do it earlier than later. If AF / KL did it, so can they. This crisis is of unprecedented proportions, comparable for aviation consequences only to 9/11. The image consequences and bad blood will be long lasting. BA management lurkers, and there seems to be a few, take note !
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:19 am

That this thread is evolving from staunchly defending BA's policy and calling me a ranter to listing the growing list of airlines waiving their change fee policies and giving implementation dates (often with errors), is an excellent sign. Strictly for info, my AY waiver was granted (way before yesterday, see above...) by calling the AY customer service "Elite" line (I am OW Emerald) in HEL, not their local number (doesn't seem to be one other than general in the US anyway, with endless wait). Given the speed at which my request was granted "in principle", as I gave no reticketing date, I obviously wasn't the first case.
What number did you use? As noted there wasn't much flexibility when I contacted them through twitter last week, and there are a number similar people struggling with AY on a few other threads. What route was it?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:28 am

What does “in principle” actually mean? Sounds like you didn’t really change the flights but merely asked if you could?

I think it would help tremendously if the discussion was a little more anchored and grounded in facts and events.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:32 am

With more and more airlines choosing the honorable behavior, BA WILL eventually relent, as nobody likes or can afford to look like the last bully. They might as well do it earlier than later. If AF / KL did it, so can they. This crisis is of unprecedented proportions, comparable for aviation consequences only to 9/11. The image consequences and bad blood will be long lasting. BA management lurkers, and there seems to be a few, take note !
Calm down, dear.

Catching a cold/flu that 95+ out of 100 people will recover from, or aircraft being hijacked and flown into buildings - a very silly comparison.

You're obviously very emotional about this, but the bottom line is if you are THIS worried about it, take the hit and don't fly.
But my actual advice would be a Headspace membership, train your mind to relax a little. And, in future, book with any airline apart from BA. That way they can never conspire against you again.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would suggest this particular case is not worth further input from those trying to advise. There is help available but the OP has repeatedly declined to give specifics - which is their prerogative - so it's all a bit hypothetical. It's also an evolving situation, so if the OP was going to Italy, to take one example, a full refund is now available, which it wasn't 24 hours ago.
DYKWIA, Lefly, 20Rothmans and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thread closed due to futility.
LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.