Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change Fees for Tickets booked BEFORE the CV 19 Alert, Involving Areas With Disease

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fees for Tickets booked BEFORE the CV 19 Alert, Involving Areas With Disease

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If we decide to travel when we see the risk, aren't we actually bearing the risk? I know I am.

I am not holding BA responsible for flying me into London this afternoon, even though where I am have far fewer cases than they do in London.

I am holding myself fully responsible for my own choice. I had an option to pay the change fee and fly another time, or even ditch the flight altogether, but I haven't done so. That was entirely my choice.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by flygirl68
The baggage handlers had returned from Italy, and haven’t been at work since then.
Is flygirl68 an industrial insider source?

I don't know?

Thanks
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mnhusker

I don't know?
Yes. I am not an insider but I know one of the handlers in the same team, so can also verify this.

If you use the full version of FT you will see the tagline which makes this clearer.
flygirl68 and argonath like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mnhusker

I don't know?

Thanks
Yes I am. I may put that description on my name badge, sounds much more exciting and mysterious than ‘cabin crew’!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
The fact that BA baggage handlers are now sick with Covid 19, and most likely eventually more staff, constitutes one more potent reason for which BA MUST waive change fees irrespective of the ticket's purchase date, since the company can now be tangibly part to contamination of passengers' baggage.
You do realize that you do not get a cold from a bag? You get it from touching your face. You won't come in contact with the baggage handlers so they won't sneeze or cough on you. But our personal hygiene should be on us not airlines. Just think that you may have this cold as well now without symptoms and you may be infecting other people. BA staff are people too and they may come in contact with a bunch of much worse diseases than this cold virus, and yet they show up every day at work to take us to various places. If someone does not want to travel, they should prioritize their health over money that they will loose by not travelling. They should not make airlines pay for their decisions.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If we decide to travel when we see the risk, aren't we actually bearing the risk? I know I am.

I am not holding BA responsible for flying me into London this afternoon, even though where I am have far fewer cases than they do in London.

I am holding myself fully responsible for my own choice. I had an option to pay the change fee and fly another time, or even ditch the flight altogether, but I haven't done so. That was entirely my choice.
Fully agree with this.

It is our choice to continue travelling and we accept the (small) risk that comes with that in doing so at the present time.

If I get it... well there's little I can do. But there have been six cases within a few miles radius of where I live - I can just as well catch it here rather than on an aircraft.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:56 pm
Suspended

New update for Italy refund for will destinations or rebook for travel up to 4 april
Key Message – Updates in red

The following guidelines have been published to assist any customer who may wish to change their travel date for Northern Italy.

Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is still OPERATING or is CANCELLED

Rebook onto

British Airways

Airports affected

To/From

All airports in Italy

Tickets issued by

08 March 2020

Ticket travel dates

Up to and including 04 April 2020

New travel dates

Up to and including 31May 2020

Rebooking Allowance

Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin

Change of gateway (1)

Rebook onto a British Airways operated service to/from ZRH (Zurich) or GVA (Geneva) and London (any airport) into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin.

Must advise the customer that any consequential cost to travel between the original and the new Swiss gateway, e.g. surface transport, hotels, etc. are at their expense. Add a remark into the booking stating that you have advised this.

Visas may also need to be checked to travel into Switzerland.

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes

Yes – as above

Refunds Allowed

Yes

Redemptions included

Yes

Available for Trade

Yes

Important Information
  • one involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options
  • Includes any connecting BA/Joint Business services on the same ticket
  • If changing both outbound and return sectors, travel must be completed by dates specified
  • For customers on cancelled flights, please follow the standard Customer Handling Guidelines > Flight Cancellations
  • Adherence to commercial policies/conditions of carriage guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
I have no idea of what percentage of tickets "changeable for a fee" actually get changed against the fee payment under normal circumstances, but I am certain that the airlines know about it: Is it 5%, maybe 10% ? At any rate it is probably a fairly constant figure over a year in normal market conditions. So the airlines normally cash in the change fee for... 5, 10 % of this kind of tickets.

Comes an extraordinary, dangerous and scary situation like Covi-19. Many people will want to change and the percentage may jump to 50, 60 or more % of the tickets (planes are flying empty, 18 pax in an A 321 between Paris and Athens last week), hence the long wait lines to reach the airlines by phone. Rebooking costs NOTHING or almost for the airlines (especially considering the paltry pay of reservation agents) and the money they receive from the fees constitutes a BONANZA. Again, nobody is talking about cancellations or refunds here.That is what I call profiteering and what I assimilate to avoiding restrictions through black market in a time of war. During WW2, profiteers were jailed or even shot. Back to the airlines, waiving the change fee in such exceptional situations actually costs them very little, just the fee for the usual 5 or 10% who always change as a fairly constant percentage.

Do airlines lose passengers because of the situation ? Yes but this is an entirely different matter.

A few airlines have understood this very well. To answer Hawk777's question, YES, I have had a reservation for next week from the US to Europe on Finnair , originally booked in October 2019, changed yesterday by 5 weeks for NOTHING, and AMEX which handled my reservation also waived the usual $ 39 they charge each time they touch any booking, as "If the airline waives the fee, so do we". This is ETHICAL, HONORABLE, in one word not profiteering. A few other airlines, Southwest, Delta, even AA on a case by case basis (I suspect that being an elite FF member helps).

Still answering Hawk777, yes I do have BA bookings which I try to change without paying the change fee. ( I simply wait as long as possible, hoping for a policy change). If 1 million passengers (intentionally a very small estimate) pay 300 euros each to change a booking that they would not have changed under normal circumstances, this is 300 Million euros that BA would not have received "under those normal circumstances". Nobody is asking BA to absorb a cost... In fact, there is almost no cost, just an unexpected BONANZA. If this is not Profiteering, what is ? Again, yes the airlines suffer from the pandemic but so do all other sectors of the economy. I am only talking here about rebooking. not macro-economics.

I am sorry that some in this thread consider this a rant. For me it is anything but.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Mar 9, 2020 at 7:19 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Still answering Hawk777, yes I do have BA bookings which I try to change without paying the change fee..
What BA bookings have you got?

EDIT: by the way I tried to change an AY booking a week ago fo mid April which originated in northern Italy and destination HKG. I was told by AY any changes would be per the ticket rules. I see AY have issued a new waiver today (albeit it is badly worded and it’s not clear whether it covers just new bookings or existing bookings) so perhaps changes may be allowed now without a cost.

EDIT2: just checked AA’s policy as you mention them. Setting aside flights which are cancelled, AA change fee waiver is for bookings made after 1 March only http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...&locale=en_GB#

delta is the same, the blanket change fee waiver is for bookings made from 1 March https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...travel-updates

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 9, 2020 at 5:49 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA

EDIT: by the way I tried to change an AY booking a week ago fo mid April which originated in northern Italy and destination HKG. I was told by AY any changes would be per the ticket rules. I see AY have issued a new waiver today (albeit it is badly worded and it’s not clear whether it covers just new bookings or existing bookings) so perhaps changes may be allowed now without a cost.

EDIT2: just checked AA’s policy as you mention them. Setting aside flights which are cancelled, AA change fee waiver is for bookings made after 1 March only Newsroom - Coronavirus: Latest Information from American Airlines - American Airlines Group, Inc.

delta is the same, the blanket change fee waiver is for bookings made from 1 March https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...travel-updates
yeah but at least with AA and most other american carriers, you incur a $200 penalty for cancellation and retain the remainder of your ticket cost for one year to a new itin.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VSLover
yeah but at least with AA and most other american carriers, you incur a $200 penalty for cancellation and retain the remainder of your ticket cost for one year to a new itin.
Good point. I think this is a general provision which has existed for a while and not CV related?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by KARFA

EDIT2: just checked AA’s policy as you mention them. Setting aside flights which are cancelled, AA change fee waiver is for bookings made after 1 March only Newsroom - Coronavirus: Latest Information from American Airlines - American Airlines Group, Inc.

My Finnair free change was okayed 3 days ago on principle, done only yesterday because I took time to select the dates.
I got a free change on AA last week, ticket issued in January, but after some pleading. Initial request was answered with a fee. Then waived by the AAdvantage Elite agent. Delta only hearsay by colleagues who had apparently no problem. Southwest widely discussed and praised. Seems LH and LX are also generous. AF KLM sent me a convoluted email hard to understand but I needed not pay much attention.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
My Finnair free change was okayed 3 days ago on principle, done only yesterday because I took time to select the dates.
I got a free change on AA last week, ticket issued in January, but after some pleading. Initial request was answered with a fee. Then waived by the AAdvantage Elite agent. Delta only hearsay by colleagues who had apparently no problem. Southwest widely discussed and praised. Seems LH and LX are also generous. AF KLM sent me a convoluted email hard to understand but I needed not pay much attention.
Do you have any BA bookings that have been affected though?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:13 pm
Suspended

I have no idea of what percentage of tickets "changeable for a fee" actually get changed against the fee payment under normal circumstances, but I am certain that the airlines know about it: Is it 5%, maybe 10% ? At any rate it is probably a fairly constant figure over a year in normal market conditions. So the airlines normally cash in the change fee for... 5, 10 % of this kind of tickets.

Comes an extraordinary, dangerous and scary situation like Covi-19. Many people will want to change and the percentage may jump to 50, 60 or more % of the tickets (planes are flying empty, 18 pax in an A 321 between Paris and Athens last week), hence the long wait lines to reach the airlines by phone. Rebooking costs NOTHING or almost for the airlines (especially considering the paltry pay of reservation agents) and the money they receive from the fees constitutes a BONANZA. Again, nobody is talking about cancellations or refunds here.That is what I call profiteering and what I assimilate to avoiding restrictions through black market in a time of war. During WW2, profiteers were jailed or even shot. Back to the airlines, waiving the change fee in such exceptional situations actually costs them very little, just the fee for the usual 5 or 10% who always change as a fairly constant percentage.

Do airlines lose passengers because of the situation ? Yes but this is an entirely different matter.

A few airlines have understood this very well. To answer Hawk777's question, YES, I have had a reservation for next week from the US to Europe on Finnair , originally booked in October 2019, changed yesterday by 5 weeks for NOTHING, and AMEX which handled my reservation also waived the usual $ 39 they charge each time they touch any booking, as "If the airline waives the fee, so do we". This is ETHICAL, HONORABLE, in one word not profiteering. A few other airlines, Southwest, Delta, even AA on a case by case basis (I suspect that being an elite FF member helps).

Still answering Hawk777, yes I do have BA bookings which I try to change without paying the change fee. ( I simply wait as long as possible, hoping for a policy change). If 1 million passengers (intentionally a very small estimate) pay 300 euros each to change a booking that they would not have changed under normal circumstances, this is 300 Million euros that BA would not have received "under those normal circumstances". Nobody is asking BA to absorb a cost... In fact, there is almost no cost, just an unexpected BONANZA. If this is not Profiteering, what is ? Again, yes the airlines suffer from the pandemic but so do all other sectors of the economy. I am only talking here about rebooking. not macro-economics.

I am sorry that some in this thread consider this a rant. For me it is anything but.
maybe people wouldn't have considered it erm much of a rant if in post 1 you didn't make insane accusations of criminality?

Also another daft accusation of paltry pay for booking agents just checked my pay slips and I certainly don't do wider what I earn paltry.

and rebooking does cost say someone bought a cheap ticket for a random midweek and the airlines given them a free change outside of the t and cs and they want to change it to a date that is in peak travel season so usually a lot more expensive ticket, the airlines have then lost out on the price of that ticket
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I’ll chime in. I have 4 upcoming ba flights (London, nice, Glasgow, Seattle) in the next few weeks and I thought I’d call in today to see whether I could postpone without any fees but no luck. Would I have wanted to have that option and do I think ba would build more goodwill if they offered this? Obviously yes. But I also think if it’s so dangerous that I don’t want to fly, then I’d just pay the change fees, in the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge amount of money for peace of mind. In any case I’m going to wait and see how things play out before deciding whether to fly or not, but my decision will be based more on the odds of travel disruption, quarantine, or number of new cases rather than waived change fees. Arguably even if something happens, I’d be better off with the NHS than the shambles that we call health care in the US!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.