Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guardian reports 2 BA baggage handlers with Corona virus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond

I am not cancelling my flights yet but interesting to know:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...087df56e4c384c
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by mjack99
I am not cancelling my flights yet but interesting to know:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...087df56e4c384c
Is this the only source? It says staff not crew.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Only source I have seen. Indeed staff not crew. I can't figure out how to edit the subject so if a mod sees this and can do that, please do.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
The scaremongering around this issue is ridiculous
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
The Telegraph reports that they are baggage handlers. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...covid-19-live/
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
The facts are that in certain groups (elderly, diabetics, smokers) the death rate is between 10-17%. Now I am not in any of the at risk groups but I can imagine being a bit worried if I was. Likely I have a less than 1% chance of death if I contract it. But I don't dismiss the fears of those are at risk and worry about my elderly parents.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
The Telegraph reports that they are baggage handlers. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...covid-19-live/
As does https://www.airlive.net/two-british-airways-airways-staff-members-have-tested-positive-for-the-coronavirus/
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
How is it scaremongering to simply report a fact?
M60_to_LGA and bosskh like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:04 am

As far as I’m aware they’re not crew and worked in another part of the business. The virus was contracted from family members and not from the work environment.
HIDDY, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Why don’t we just shut down the whole world and be done with it because of this hysteria..
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Why don’t we just shut down the whole world and be done with it because of this hysteria..
A virus spreading exponentialy around the globe that kills 1 in 30. Is just "hysteria" is it?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
The Guardian reported this at 14.54 UK time:
Two British Airways baggage handlers have tested positive for Covid-19, the airline has confirmed. The men are based at Heathrow airport, west London.

A spokesman for the airline said: “Public Health England has confirmed that two members of our staff have tested positive for the Covid-19 virus. The colleagues have been isolated and are recovering at home.”

Baggage handlers work in teams and are responsible for loading, unloading and transporting luggage at airports. They do not generally have any interaction with passengers. British Airways is one of many airlines that has offered unpaid leave to their employees, amid a drop in passenger demand due to the coronavirus outbreak.

It has cancelled hundreds of flights on routes to New York and short-haul destinations across Europe.

The airline said in a statement: “We continue to closely monitor the situation, and as a precaution we are taking steps to control the costs in our business.”
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
A virus spreading exponentialy around the globe that kills 1 in 30. Is just "hysteria" is it?
I don't think people are saying it's nothing to be worried about and you should go around licking the metal poles on the Underground but... yes, the media are whipping a lot of unnecessary hysteria. The Daily Hate Mail calling it "Killer virus", the live updates... it's all causing unnecessary stress. Look at the people panic buying loo rolls, hand sanitizers, look at the poor guy beaten up because he looked 'Chinese' on Tottenham Ct Road.

The media have to own up to the mess they're creating.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Too much frequent flying my friend, I am afraid the lack of normal level of oxygen are clouding your judgement and wit.

When you'll land into reality and recognise people are dying and healthcare systems are at risk of collapse, perhaps you'll show some more respect.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Worse they are baggage handlers!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9381741.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.