Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 : BA staff layoffs and pay-cuts, announced 20 March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 : BA staff layoffs and pay-cuts, announced 20 March

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Because it is not a bit of a flu, not at all.
Indeed, it's nowhere near as bad as bit of flu. The Spanish Flu of 1918/19 killed 228,000 in the UK alone, it had a mortality rate of between 10 and 20%.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
This is rapidly turning into a disaster for airlines around the world. I hope we don’t see another 9/11 or 2008 industry crisis.
For airlines the Coronavirus will be even worse than the 2008 financial crisis.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
Will be worse than 9/11 as well since this is truly global.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by warakorn
But how will BA respond? Shrink their network, delay deliveries, reduce capacity, or just keep calm and carry on?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Lynyrd
Today's Verona had a take off weight of 54.8T. It is basically empty. I really don't understand how a bit of Flu can be causing such a problem? I have SOF, ATH and ALC flights in the week, should they be running I will be flying on them all.
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Because conservative, borderline knee-jerk policies at large companies are putting a temporary block on non-essential travel.

These edicts can be delivered to large numbers of people, in a short space of time, and implementable essentially immediately.

My firm have issued such an edict. With immediate effect. And as an employee, the risk / reward of me now for example sticking my head above the parapet and saying that I absolutely positively need to fly to Madrid the week after next is heavily skewed towards me saying 'no, it's fine, I'll do a few more meetings via Webex and look to get over there in April if it's all died down".

I haven't even bothered to broach the subject of my overdue and twice postponed HK trip with my boss as he'll think I'm an idiot.

Also: some company policies do not just affect corporate travel. They affect private travel, too. I wouldn't be allowed to travel (for work or holidays) to China. Any travel to other affected areas requires sign-off from the European CEO (and no one's going to ask him to do that, which means no one really will).

A friend was due to travel to Italy for holiday, and she was allowed to do so by her company, but would have had to self-quarantine herself for 2 weeks after. That didn't work for her as she had meetings in her diary, so she's not flying there now.

But also... this is not a flu.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:53 am

BA offer unpaid leave to MF crew every single month without fail. It’s only the temporary part time that’s new.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:54 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Indeed, it's nowhere near as bad as bit of flu. The Spanish Flu of 1918/19 killed 228,000 in the UK alone, it had a mortality rate of between 10 and 20%.
This is not correct. The estimated case fatality rate is 2-3%, source WHO https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/...547680_eng.pdf
pilot007 and Tinseltown like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
So let me recap.
The crew will get their salary as before and they will have to do MUCH LESS work than ever before.
Which part of 'unpaid' didn't you understand?
AdBoy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Will be worse than 9/11 as well since this is truly global.
It depends.

If this thing dies down pretty quickly come the summer - or if countries such as Korea, China, Japan & Italy get it controlled fairly easily - then I believe that the worst could be contained. If this affects the summer season in the same way as it's doing the current season then it will be bad.

Having said that, the '08 crisis lasted for long because it spread into the 'real' economy (like Obama used to say, from Wall St. to Main St.). Banks, insurance companies, investment funds were going belly up: this isn't caused by them.

How will it affect airlines? If it lasts for long it will affect all airlines badly. BA, however, is in a decent enough position: for once, its paltry Asian network (that I always used to throw rotten veggies at) is a good insurance policy, as long as the US don't turn into a Wuhan with pick-up trucks and guns. Then there's the cost control they exerted over the years. From memory the non-fuel CASK at BA are lower than at other EU legacies', especially those fixed costs that stay the same as flying goes up or down. Nick Swift, a good CFO if ever there was one, always remarked in his end of quarter sessions that we were shaping BA up to be able to dip in the red for less time than the competitors and bounce back from an economic shock quicker than the competitors.

But again, it all depends on how it progresses. I don't know how well the NHS could cope if they were to have the same number of patients as they're having in Italy.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
So if it comes in at less than 228,000 deaths we have had a bit of a result?

I guess the response from BA is an inevitable consequence of the current situation. Just waiting for UNITE / BALPA to complain bitterly about IAG profits last year and demand that those profits are used to pay BA employees their full salary to sit at home where necessary until the epedemic is over.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by babats
I think he meant, why take unpaid leave (which is unpaid....), rather than just staying as a full time employee (on full salary) and watch as every flight is either cancelled or empty (so basically doing nothing on full pay (which of course won't/can't happen as there'll be no flight pay)).
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:15 am

i think the point was that because BA are cancelling lots of flights, you can choose not to take unpaid leave yet you would have to fly less than before anyway
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:15 am

Read my comment again. Slowly. Take in every word one by one.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:22 am

Can this be enforced? Or is it voluntary?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:36 am

It appears some airlines are planning on a longer impact than next month. United's voluntary leaves are 3 months or 6 months, that takes us in to September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.