Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missed my flight as I was stuck in security (AMS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club

I’ve just missed my flight BA431 to LHR from AMS having being stuck at security. I’m booked on a 001 ticket (American Airlines) but BA is refusing to book me to my final destination which is JFK but I’m routed via MIA and DCA (AMS-LHR-MIA-DCA-JFK)

I’m on the phone trying to contact American Airlines now, but do I have any other options right now?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Accept whatever is being offered, the routing concerned is a bit odd given that it's unlikely all flights are full, but better than nothing. By all means keep calling AA, they are usually as good as it gets in terms of sorting out irrops by telephone.

Then when you get to T5, go down to the bus area for transfers to T3 and speak to the AA staff there to see if they can help further. Then since your flight to MIA is also from T3 when you get to T3 you have a further opportunity to see what will work.
EuropeanPete, YacozA and anniegray like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just keep trying to contact AA and hope they will do something. Your complete BA itinerary will have been cancelled as you'd have been a no-show at AMS.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Accept whatever is being offered, the routing concerned is a bit odd given that it's unlikely all flights are full, but better than nothing.
Maybe I'm misreading it, I thought the *original* itinerary was AMS-LHR-MIA-DCA-JFK? He's missed the AMS-LHR, and BA are saying tough luck.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I know it’s not really helpful, but just take whatever is being offered. This is not the airline’s fault, so be grateful if AA can arrange for a direct flight to NYC either from AMS or LHR.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maybe I'm misreading it, I thought the *original* itinerary was AMS-LHR-MIA-DCA-JFK? He's missed the AMS-LHR, and BA are saying tough luck.
This is correct, I missed my AMS-LHR flight.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
This is correct, I missed my AMS-LHR flight.
Any luck with AA?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’m on the phone trying to contact American Airlines now, but do I have any other options right now?
I think that this is implicitly clear enough from all the posts above but to say it explicitly, in all likelihood, you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Ultimately, the airline is clear that the gate closes 20 minutes before departure and it is for you to arrange enough time to be there. Check in at Amsterdam closes 60 so I think that the exception is if you arrived more than 1 hour early and still did not make it in which case you might get more sympathy

When exactly did you contact AA? Typically, if before the flight departure they should be able to at least not cancel the ticket and allow you to change it at your normal change conditions but more than that is really asking for good will.
anniegray likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Any luck with AA?
No luck with AA, both at Schiphol and on the phone. I will try BA one last time before giving up I think, no one seems to be budging.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
IMHO, if the OP showed up on time at check-in (so 60 min before departure), then he should not be held responsible for delays at security. BA or AA should provide an alternative. Problem is that I think BA subcontracts the ground handling in AMS, and since there is zero customer service culture in the Netherlands he might have faced an agent who literally did not [care] about his/her story... I think AA should be able to assist him over the phone or at LHR T3, I think AA staff are working there. How much in advance did you show up at the airport ?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 5, 2020 at 5:48 am Reason: Remove disguised expletive - rule 16
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by palmanfr
IMHO, if the OP showed up on time at check-in (so 60 min before departure), then he should not be held responsible for delays at security. BA or AA should provide an alternative. Problem is that I think BA subcontracts the ground handling in AMS, and since there is zero customer service culture in the Netherlands he might have faced an agent who literally did not [care] about his/her story... I think AA should be able to assist him over the phone or at LHR T3, I think AA staff are working there. How much in advance did you show up at the airport ?
passengers responsibility to arrive in enough time to clear security and be at gate before boarding closes

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 5, 2020 at 5:48 am Reason: Amend quote per rule 16
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No luck with AA, both at Schiphol and on the phone. I will try BA one last time before giving up I think, no one seems to be budging.
If AA isn't willing to budge on a 001 ticket (ie invoking their flat tire 'rule'/policy), then I don't think you're going to have any luck with BA. Have you tried calling AA in the US? Do you have status? Maybe mention flat tire? Good luck but I don't see a happy outcome here, other than perhaps asking AA what residual value the ticket has and applying it to another routing to JFK.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by palmanfr
sadly 6d in BA’s condition of carriage disagree with you, anything subsequent is at the discretion and a good will gesture of the airline.

OP of course hasn’t said what time they arrived at the airport, AMS doesn’t have conformance like LHR for example.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 5, 2020 at 5:49 am Reason: Amend quote per rule 16
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
here's today's availability LHR-JFK. One flight has been cancelled.

Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I find AMS a bit of a pain these days although I imagine the OP would have had Fast Track and in any event my last few security experiences at Schiphol have been ok, especially now that they don't require liquids out of the bag. Maybe the OP got caught waiting on a very lengthy secondary (I often get stopped if I have loose coins in my bag- seems to be a particular thing at Schiphol) or a long queue at immigration. In the circumstances, I would accept the re-routing and not expect much more.
palmanfr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.