Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to stop BAEC Welcome packs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Do you not link your BAEC account with your bookings in order to get free seat selection? If so, your status will be in your boarding pass and would grant you access automatically just like it would be a if your were travelling in CE/CW.
I guess that works, assuming of course you've got your FF no printed on your BP. I have had it fail to register on IB bookings due to the BA/IB IT incompatability issue and have had to do a retro claim for Avios and TP. Having the physical card is helpful in those situations to gain lounge access.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: Ba gold
Originally Posted by Captain Walker
I got my Silver card and luggage tags during first week of Feb.

Last week I got my Bronze card and luggage tags???
mrs Cobb had exactly the same, she is a silver and last week received a bronze card and luggage tags, BA could save money by simply not making silly mistakes like that.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Flying Blue also stopped issuing physical cards for their lowest tier years ago. I had my expired gold card (online checkin did not work) for the agent to enter my number, but she refused as the card had expired. This was in Saigon on a Vietnam Airlines flight (SkyTeam member at one of their bases). When travelling through some of the less popular destinations it definitely pays to have something physical due to any number of issues: flat battery, no phone coverage, ignorance, language barriers etc. For those using the eco argument I say stop flying and sell your car if you want to make an impact.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One logic therein deployed was that it means she has unimpeded access to the First Wing, which I find extraordinary. Unless I have a First Class Look, which those who have met me will know to be unlikely, I've never been intercepted on my way in. Maybe they stand down the heavies if they know I am in the vicinity.
I think one should not generalise from your airport experience to that of the wider population. Not many people have their personal mug in the CCR.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
For the few times I have paid with Avios for the M&S BoB stuff, I have found it much easier to had the card over then to try and fumble with the phone. Would they accept a printed boarding card for this, in the event of the phone battery running out of juice?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Not many people have their personal mug in the CCR.
Not so. Whenever I ask for coffee there, they unfailingly produce it in my favourite white mug and what's more I notice that they do the same for nearly all the regulars (and even the irregulars)...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
They stopped issuing Blue cards quite a few years ago IIRC.
Exactly right, they did. Re-read my original statement and you’ll find nothing that contradicts this
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jay_cee87
Reading a rumour on one of the travel blogs (Turningleftforless) that BA are to stop issuing the welcome pack, Member card and Luggage tags for all tiers except GGL.
About bloody time. The wastage is unreal. Now digitise the CCR card!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Akoz
For the few times I have paid with Avios for the M&S BoB stuff, I have found it much easier to had the card over then to try and fumble with the phone. Would they accept a printed boarding card for this, in the event of the phone battery running out of juice?
I have never paid for BOB using Avios, but once when the CC thought I wanted to, asked to see my BP to get my BAEC details.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Received this email today:

You have qualified for Silver membership of the Executive Club. 

As a Silver Member, you can enjoy some great advantages over the next year – including free seat selection at the time of booking and access to worldwide lounges, for you and a guest.

All benefits can be easily accessed via the British Airways app on your mobile device, or on our website – quickly, conveniently and from wherever you are in the world.

Should you wish to receive a physical membership card, one can be requested by logging in to your Executive Club account on ba.com

We hope you enjoy your Silver membership and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

With best wishes,
Your Executive Club Team
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Hmmm 🤔

So is it DYKWIA to now own a card and bag tags?

As rather than just using something that you have been sent by BA, anyone in future displaying luggage tags has also had to order them to show off their status.
Why not go the whole way and issue sashes like the bride to be wears on her hen night.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
I think it's kinda sad.

My 3y/o was super excited to get her bronze luggage tags and immediately put a tag on her hand luggage because it 'goes in Club World'...

I thought it was all kinda cute and little things like that and her saving coins into two separate piggy banks for different things all just makes me think how as humans we really are visual and physical beings and everything becoming 'virtual' takes a sense of realness away from it.

We all miss out even though as cynical adults we pretend we don't care about anything anymore that inner child is in there somewhere still wishing it had a gold card instead of a picture to look at in an app... maybe not all of us but I know there's a little 5% in me still for sure that will be sad when the 'physical world' is more and more abstracted away.

And anyway as people have pointed out this is just cost cutting disguised as environmental - which we all knew would be the case. Half the world dumps plastic in the sea, ours is recycled and disposed of properly, but us using straws and getting a membership card is 100% of the problem in "their" eyes and corporations just love to jump on board.
T8191, 20Rothmans and Fatdickie like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by eae
It's not?!
Just wait until a lowly Silver tries to gain access. An unmarked buggy turns up and a group of burly Alex troopers carts you off, never to be seen again.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Akoz
I’ve never paid for BoB with Avios, but I wonder how it works with the virtual card. Whenever I’ve tapped on the card in the app screen to make it bigger, there is no bar code when in the air and not connected online. I had previously assumed that was a reason for the existence of the barcode on the virtual card Suppose you could do a screenshot before takeoff, but most wouldn’t.

More generally, I would support this (even for GGL, don’t see why it makes a difference apart from CCR cards, and those could be made virtual), though it is true there are places where the card is still “requested” and BA should make an effort to eliminate that (though I suspect this is wishful thinking).

Despite not having my own mug in the CCR, I’ve never needed to show a card to get in the First Wing at LHR, showing the BP is the most that’s ever been required for me.

Perhaps BA will need to compensate FT for loss of revenue, with the impending demise of lengthy “is it ok to display my tags” threads...

Meanwhile, I will be monitoring eBay to see if reduced supply increases the value of the many unused BA baggage tags lying around my house
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:37 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sxc
Received this email today:

Should you wish to receive a physical membership card, one can be requested by logging in to your Executive Club account on ba.com

We hope you enjoy your Silver membership and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

With best wishes,
Your Executive Club Team
I only just remembered.....I actually did receive a Silver card a few weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.