Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

We have an important message for you at the check-in counter...

Old Mar 2, 20, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

...well, the possibility of a WT to WTP upgrade didn't exactly thrill me, but it would have been nice.

I checked in online, selected a seat, and then refreshed and tried to select a better seat, only to be told that another passenger had taken it before me. This caused my new selection to be shown, crossed out, together with my old seat.

Arriving at the airport, I was unable to use the self-service terminal to print my boarding pass. It took my passport but then asked for 'additional information' and wasn't happy until I entered both the flight number and my reservation ID. That's when the message appeared. And the 'important message' was that my seat had been 'changed' to the one I had initially selected myself.

So if you ever see this message, well, don't get your hopes up too much. (I managed to switch to a far better seat anyway, in the end!)
crystal_cad and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
..and certainly not as interesting as "There is an important message for you in the communications room" (Yes Minister, for those not familiar).
nancypants, fnl111, AJA_ and 15 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sussex Flyer View Post
..and certainly not as interesting as "There is an important message for you in the communications room" (Yes Minister, for those not familiar).
Will you tell the press about the communications room or shall I?
fnl111, Jimmie76, LiHS and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 6:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The journalists need to justify their huge expenses for a futile non-event.
- Non-event? - Oh, a brilliant triumph for you, Minister.
Which is why it's a futile non-event for the press.
They'd like me to get drunk at the reception.
Yes.
Not much hope of that.
Kumran is dry.
Yeah.
Well, of course, it is in the middle of the desert.
- You mean Islamic law? - Alas, yes.
- We can get a drink at the British Embassy? - Yes.
But the reception and the dinner are at the palace.
Five hours of orange juice.
Five hours? Without a single drinky? Why did you let me come on this trip? What are we going to do? Hip flasks? No, much too risky.
We have to grin and bear it.
Why don't we set up a security communications room next door to the reception? You know, emergency telephones, telex lines to Downing Street.
Then we could fill it with booze brought in from the Embassy.
- Minister! - Liven up the orange juice! That is a stroke of genius! - Could it be done? - Such a room would need a major crisis.
- Five hours on orange juice is a major crisis.
Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...episode=s03e04
RoyalSwazi, MaxFlyer, LiHS and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:57 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
I've long said Emirates missed an opportunity naming their A380 J bar
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LiHS View Post
I've long said Emirates missed an opportunity naming their A380 J bar
The TV version was based on a Middle East country, but the real version happened when Tony Crosland was Foreign Secretary and went to Islamabad, Pakistan with his wife Susan, in the mid 1970s. Tony Crosland had a notoriously low tolerance of boredom. Susan kept her vase, it was valued at 45.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:01 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The TV version was based on a Middle East country, but the real version happened when Tony Crosland was Foreign Secretary and went to Islamabad, Pakistan with his wife Susan, in the mid 1970s. Tony Crosland had a notoriously low tolerance of boredom. Susan kept her vase, it was valued at 45.
That's amazing, I had no idea! From his wiki page I see his work inspired another episode, having proposed increasing tuition fees for overseas students.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I gather that everything in Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister either actually happened or was very similar to what happened. Antony Jay said the show basically wrote itself.
Geordie405 likes this.

Last edited by Jagboi; Mar 3, 20 at 5:10 pm
Old Mar 3, 20, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
The "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" series are just brilliant. For those who haven't also read the books I would thoroughly recommend them too!
trooper and hotel_user like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
In reply to the OP - in SYD, the chap at check-in for my WTP flight to LHR said, "Oh, Mr Rothmans, I can upgrade you to..."
"Oh, no I can't."
I wish I could do that to people and get paid for it. That's real power.
pythonisman likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
I gather that everything in Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister either actually happened or was very similar to what happened. Antony Jay said the show basically wrote itself.
They had moles in Government who fed them juicy stories.
Old Mar 4, 20, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 20Rothmans View Post
In reply to the OP - in SYD, the chap at check-in for my WTP flight to LHR said, "Oh, Mr Rothmans, I can upgrade you to..."
"Oh, no I can't."
I wish I could do that to people and get paid for it. That's real power.
That is simply evil! Anyway, I'm pleased I could rely on the BA board to respond appropriately to this thread ;-)
Old Mar 4, 20, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, KM Permanent, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
The Moral Dilemma

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
And you can see the entire programme here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5v4ri8, complete with BCAL First Class seats!
Gerald Scarfes's caricature of Hacker (Paul Eddington) in the opening titles bears a 'certain' resemblance to a Prime Minister of the time, don't you think
A great timeless series, and as relevant to today as is was in the 80's IMHO
Old Mar 4, 20, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by _nate View Post

So if you ever see this message, well, don't get your hopes up too much.
A couple of years ago, I couldn't check in once and had a similar message that I needed to go to a check-in desk for an important message and to get my BP.

Trying to contain my excitement / curiosity (also hoping for an upgrade), I approached the check-in desk where the lady said "I have a message to thank you for being a loyal BAEC member", then she issued my BP, in the original seat in the original cabin. We looked at each other, both a bit bemused, and then I went on my way, somewhat deflated
20Rothmans likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: