Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"We can't take off until we find earplugs for the back of the plane"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:49 am
Original Poster

BA633 ATH-LHR tonight.

Captain came on tannoy after loading all passengers, saying there was a technical issue and he had two options for us [gulp, never a good sign].

The outbound crew reported really awful, loud noise of air escaping near row 30, so people toward back can either stay on, or be offloaded for the 02:20 flight. He was very keen to point out it wasn't a safety issue, just extremely uncomfortable.

Oh and they couldn't take off for now because they needed to source earplugs for those who still want to travel.

I was in row 32 so elected to take a later plane, to be fair to BA they were flexible about times.

But I noticed after 1.5 hours they still hadn't taken off, so those earplugs must be elusive!
Worldtraveler727 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's a new one on me, I've not (um) heard of this before. This has the hallmark of more people asking to de-plane as the delays creep on. Or the crew found more things wrong / can't get the paperwork signed off.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
One word, wow.

I wonder what our resident EC261/04 expert (whose already replied) thinks about if you choose to deplane, would that count as voluntary and therefore prevent compensation?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

I may be paraphrasing about the sound being like air escaping, I can't remember his exact words, but something like that is the kind of impression I came away with.

Either way, cabin crews are normally pretty good at looking unflappable but they looked quite put out by this, so it must have been really bad.

I'd assumed it would not be eligible under 261, since I voluntarily elected to leave the plane.

Last edited by drsabs; Mar 2, 2020 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think it's in scope for EC261, if you volunteer to go off, but you would be in scope for claiming under the Consumer Rights Act on the basis that it's not fit for purpose. Hopefully a suitable Avios gesture will head that off.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Amex Plat, BA Bronze
They might have also been waiting for a delivery of lemon soaked paper napkins.

(Sorry - couldn't resist)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Was this an A321neo? If so it’s not a good sign that such a new plane has this odd issue.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:45 pm

Yes G-NEOW, A321, 4 months old.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Was this an A321neo? If so it’s not a good sign that such a new plane has this odd issue.
yes, G-NEOW, departed just over an our late

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.