Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ThatT1Feeling
Book with confidence policy: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ith-confidence

Form for requesting an e-voucher: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn

Don't forget to take a screenshot before submission and another after acceptance. A suggested method is in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32187702

The text of the Book with confidence policy as at 2145Z on Sun 15 March is in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32180050

IMPORTANT NOTE - the current understanding is that vouchers must be used to book, and travel must start, before the 12-month expiry date but travel may be completed after that date. See this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32189408

Headline summary:-
  1. Flights booked at any time for travel 14 March to 31 May from now and 13 October 2020 for journeys to be completed by 30 September 2022 can be converted into a voucher for use in a future booking to be used for journeys to be completed by 30 September 2023. . Existing bookings made before 3 March are also covered until 30 October 2020,
  2. Holidays booked at any time for travel up to 31 May 13 October sine die can be date-changed, or converted into a voucher for use in a future booking.
  3. Holidays:
    1. If booking after 16 December 2021 date changes must be made, or vouchers requested a minimum of 28 days before departure date. ( https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/british-airways-holidays#howtochangeyourbooking )
    2. If booking after 11 June 2020 date changes must be made, or vouchers requested a minimum of three weeks before the original departure date.
    3. If you booked a package between 3 March and 11 June 2020 for travel up to 31 December 2020 48 hours’ notice applies and if travelling between 1 January and 30 August 2021 three weeks’ notice applies.
  4. Flight and holiday bookings made after 3 March can be converted into a voucher for use in a future booking for journeys to be completed by 30 September 2023.
  5. Flight and holiday bookings made for completion before 30 September 2022 have no change fee for changes of travel dates. New bookings for flights which do not complete by that date now attract change fees (unless fully flexible)
  6. Flight and holiday bookings to USA now being offered refund (0900 Sun 15 March) - see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32187403-post192.html
  7. You can change the dates and destination of your booking without incurring a change fee, although you will need to pay any difference in price.
Print Wikipost

Book with confidence policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
And then a not directly related question: does anyone have direct experience of the time it takes between onset of symptoms and passing a PCR test? I saw upthread that for omicron it is on average 9 days from symptoms to a clear LFT, but a PCR is more sensitive as I understand it.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Greg66
And then a not directly related question: does anyone have direct experience of the time it takes between onset of symptoms and passing a PCR test? I saw upthread that for omicron it is on average 9 days from symptoms to a clear LFT, but a PCR is more sensitive as I understand it.
It should be less than 9 days for Omicron BA.2 on LFT, which I presume is what is the issue here - it can be as few as 4 days, 6 days is probably the median from first positive or symptom. For PCRs it depends how many cycles the test is using, which varies from 25 to 55, and there are about 90 devices now in use, so it is difficult to say. But if boosted and aged about 40 and male, about 8 days can work on PCRs, though not set to 55 cycles. I'm not sure about how 2-4-1 works here, and by all means report back when you find out - but I'd imagine you either get the refund, the FTV or you both rebook.
aks120 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It should be less than 9 days for Omicron BA.2 on LFT, which I presume is what is the issue here - it can be as few as 4 days, 6 days is probably the median from first positive or symptom. For PCRs it depends how many cycles the test is using, which varies from 25 to 55, and there are about 90 devices now in use, so it is difficult to say. But if boosted and aged about 40 and male, about 8 days can work on PCRs, though not set to 55 cycles. I'm not sure about how 2-4-1 works here, and by all means report back when you find out - but I'd imagine you either get the refund, the FTV or you both rebook.
Interesting. Tested pcr positive 3 days ago, the destination i'm going to in 23 days accepts recovery certificates if i continue to test pcr +ve in the 72 hours before departure, but this certificate seems to cost extra so hoping it won't be needed. Is there any information about how many cycles various fit2fly test providers use so I can select one that doesn't set the dial to the max?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:20 am

Thanks CWS. The "patient" in question is my daughter. Presumed infection date of 8 March. Negative LFT 11 March, positive LFT today (13 March). Pre flight PCR booked for 21 March and due to fly 23 March.

It seems likely that she'd egt through a medically administered LFT pre-flight, which would get her on the plane. But her destination is YVR where they have random PCR testing of arrivals. So the risk of testing positive on arrival and having to isolate is only managed effectively by a negative pre-flight departure.

She's 22, double jabbed and boosted. Final year of Uni and it's the family ski trip. Pushing her flight back 5-8 days is an option, but only if it increases the chances of her pre-departure PCR turning up negative.

Tiresome.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:44 am

Thanks CWS. The "patient" in question is my daughter. Presumed infection date of 8 March. Negative LFT 11 March, positive LFT today (13 March). Pre flight PCR booked for 21 March and due to fly 23 March.

It seems likely that she'd egt through a medically administered LFT pre-flight, which would get her on the plane. But her destination is YVR where they have random PCR testing of arrivals. So the risk of testing positive on arrival and having to isolate is only managed effectively by a negative pre-flight departure.

She's 22, double jabbed and boosted. Final year of Uni and it's the family ski trip. Pushing her flight back 5-8 days is an option, but only if it increases the chances of her pre-departure PCR turning up negative.

Tiresome.
If you are in the UK I'd suggest she gets a confirmatory PCR ASAP as I think she can then get a recovery certificate after 14 days which might work if any subsequent pcr was +ve. That's what I'm planning on for my trip to far east early next month although your current timescales don't work a week delay would bring that into play if the destination accepted recovery certificates.
Greg66 likes this.

Last edited by firstlight; Mar 13, 2022 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
If you are in the UK I'd suggest she gets a confirmatory PCR ASAP as I think she can then get a recovery certificate after 14 days which might work if any subsequent pcr was +ve. That's what I'm planning on for my trip to far east early next month although your current timescales don't work a week delay would bring that into play if the destination accepted recovery certificates.
That's a good point, allied to shifting her flight back a day or so. For Canada she can get in ten days after a positive PCR and will be exempted from random PCR testing on entry. Thanks.

Last edited by Greg66; Mar 13, 2022 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by firstlight
Interesting. Tested pcr positive 3 days ago, the destination i'm going to in 23 days accepts recovery certificates if i continue to test pcr +ve in the 72 hours before departure, but this certificate seems to cost extra so hoping it won't be needed. Is there any information about how many cycles various fit2fly test providers use so I can select one that doesn't set the dial to the max?
Collinson I know is 37 (which is a sensible amount). I'm not researching all the UK's providers! Will a Lateral Flow result be OK? Or perhaps LAMP?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:10 am

That's almost all the right indicators for a fast recovery. I would stick to daily Lateral Flow tests and with any luck she will be OK on or about 18 March. If she keeps and dates the catridges and lines them up she may be able to project her progress that way. In which case I'd look to a LFT solution on the day of departure. I don't think Canada are doing many random PCRs now, but yes, that is the risk she will have to ponder. In the mean time lots of sleep and not too much stress.
Greg66 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Is there any difference with Holiday FTVs - e.g. limited to use on a new holiday booking, or are they just simple cash vouchers?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by etiene
Is there any difference with Holiday FTVs - e.g. limited to use on a new holiday booking, or are they just simple cash vouchers?
BAH FTVs are useable towards new BAH bookings only. You can't use them as evouchers towards flight only bookings.
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
BAH FTVs are useable towards new BAH bookings only. You can't use them as evouchers towards flight only bookings.
Thanks, thought I'd seen that somewhere. Not a big deal, just good to know...
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Collinson I know is 37 (which is a sensible amount). I'm not researching all the UK's providers! Will a Lateral Flow result be OK? Or perhaps LAMP?
Thanks, I wouldn't expect you to :-). Destination requires PCR test before departure and on arrival. My lateral flow positive is now much fainter so hoping for PCR negative in 3 weeks. But in any case have copied the country in question embassy's rules on entry which state recovery certificate is acceptable if PCR positive.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
This is a really difficult question to answer. You're absolutely right that a PCR test is much more sensitive than a lateral flow (I was a molecular biologist in a previous life). Unfortunately it's possible for PCRs still to pick up fragments of inactive viral wreckage in your system weeks or even months after you got rid of the infection - the test simply looks for bits of viral RNA but can't tell if they are active or not. As corporate-wage-slave mentions above, the sensitivity of the test is related to the cycle threshold (Ct) value. In layman's terms, the Ct is a measure of how hard you're looking - the higher the Ct, the more chance of finding something.

NHS advice is (or certainly was) not to get another PCR within 90 days of a positive test, because a positive result within this time frame could still be due to remnants of the previous infection (and it's highly unlikely you'd have been infected again in this time scale). I had COVID a couple of weeks before Christmas and was worried that this could affect a trip abroad I had booked in late January, but fortunately in the meantime my destination dropped the requirement for a PCR test. Sorry to be the bearer of slightly off-putting news, but there is at least a risk of testing positive by PCR for some time after an infection.

Last edited by speedbird66; Mar 14, 2022 at 10:37 am Reason: Edited for clarity.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:59 pm

Thanks. I spoke today to the clinic where we have our pre departure PCRs booked. They too were doubtful that given our presumptive timeline of infection on 8 Mar, negative LFT on 11 and positive PCR ON 13, she would pass a PCR on 21. The test is too sensitive.

Speaking to plague daughter today, she’s been feverish and slept a lot in the last 24h. Although double jabbed plus boosted and young, she is a university student coming to the end of a term and, I would guess, physically a bit run down.

We are going to try to thread this particular needle this way: PCR test* tomorrow (15th); if as expected positive, we will move her outbound flight from 23 to 27 Mar. A positive PCR >10 days before flying should get her into Canada and mean she won’t be in the pool for random testing on entry. Amex Plat insurance have said if she is positive they will cover the rebooking costs.

*getting a PCR test when you know you’re symptomatic and likely positive seems to be quite tricky. Some crossed fingers were needed when ticking boxes to book the test, “justified” on the footing that most of the conditions of testing seem to be held over from when HMG legislated for symptomatic individuals to self isolate.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
The BAH FAQs here, seem to be at best confusing as to whether the BAH BWC policy is the same as the flights one in terms of eligible date: can anyone shed light...?

What bookings are eligible for a voucher?Bookings made from 3 March 2020 onwards for journeys that are due to have been completed by 30 September 2022.

However, if your flight has been cancelled you are eligible for a voucher or a refund, regardless of your booking or travel dates.

Your outbound flight as part of your holiday leaves up to 30 September 2022 but your return flight is after 30 September 2022, are you eligible for a voucher?Yes, as long as you've started your journey with us by 30 September 2022.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.