Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ThatT1Feeling
Book with confidence policy: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ith-confidence

Form for requesting an e-voucher: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn

Don't forget to take a screenshot before submission and another after acceptance. A suggested method is in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32187702

The text of the Book with confidence policy as at 2145Z on Sun 15 March is in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32180050

IMPORTANT NOTE - the current understanding is that vouchers must be used to book, and travel must start, before the 12-month expiry date but travel may be completed after that date. See this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post32189408

Headline summary:-
  1. Flights booked at any time for travel 14 March to 31 May from now and 13 October 2020 for journeys to be completed by 30 September 2022 can be converted into a voucher for use in a future booking to be used for journeys to be completed by 30 September 2023. . Existing bookings made before 3 March are also covered until 30 October 2020,
  2. Holidays booked at any time for travel up to 31 May 13 October sine die can be date-changed, or converted into a voucher for use in a future booking.
  3. Holidays:
    1. If booking after 16 December 2021 date changes must be made, or vouchers requested a minimum of 28 days before departure date. ( https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/british-airways-holidays#howtochangeyourbooking )
    2. If booking after 11 June 2020 date changes must be made, or vouchers requested a minimum of three weeks before the original departure date.
    3. If you booked a package between 3 March and 11 June 2020 for travel up to 31 December 2020 48 hours’ notice applies and if travelling between 1 January and 30 August 2021 three weeks’ notice applies.
  4. Flight and holiday bookings made after 3 March can be converted into a voucher for use in a future booking for journeys to be completed by 30 September 2023.
  5. Flight and holiday bookings made for completion before 30 September 2022 have no change fee for changes of travel dates. New bookings for flights which do not complete by that date now attract change fees (unless fully flexible)
  6. Flight and holiday bookings to USA now being offered refund (0900 Sun 15 March) - see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32187403-post192.html
  7. You can change the dates and destination of your booking without incurring a change fee, although you will need to pay any difference in price.
Print Wikipost

Book with confidence policy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Globaliser
ba.com receipts don't show the fare basis. If you go to Finnair and ask for an e-ticket receipt to be emailed to you, then that will show the fare basis.

In your case, the base fare is USD 2310.00. BA's surcharge was USD 1400.00 and other taxes, fees and charges were USD 187.87, giving the total paid of USD 3897.87.

What you need to do is to go to Fare Information on EF, put in your itinerary, travel dates and ticketing date, and limit the search to First cabin fares. Keep the Validate Dates checkbox ticked. You're then looking for a fare that is USD 2310.00, or a pair of fares that averages to USD 2310.00 (because your fare may be two different fares combined on a half-round-trip basis); for example, there may be a fare of USD 2260.00 and a fare of USD 2360.00 that have been combined to make your total fare of USD 2310.00, often because the travel dates fall into different seasons. The search is rather easier if you already know the fare basis codes.

Once you have identified the fare(s) that make up your ticket, you simply need to call up the fare rules using the icon on the right hand side of the respective line(s). Then you will have (probably) more information about the fare rules than you ever thought you needed to know. The box you're looking for is "Penalties".
Thank you. Unfortunately the fare is non refundable. The gentleman I spoke to said I'd be able to get a voucher that I can use for myself or anyone else including BA Vacations. Does this sound correct? By the way it was impossible to get through to BA, had to call the EXP line at AA and ask to be transfered in order to talk to someone. Anyone have any ideas for using a BA voucher if I have no foreseeable plans to go to/through Europe?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Unfortunately the fare is non refundable. The gentleman I spoke to said I'd be able to get a voucher that I can use for myself or anyone else including BA Vacations. Does this sound correct? By the way it was impossible to get through to BA, had to call the EXP line at AA and ask to be transfered in order to talk to someone. Anyone have any ideas for using a BA voucher if I have no foreseeable plans to go to/through Europe?
It is as I posted earlier: Book with confidence policy

At the end of the day, if you voluntarily buy a non-refundable fare and the airline is able to carry you but you choose not to use the ticket, your options are inevitably going to be limited. If BA cancels your flight, then you'd be entitled to a cash refund. One thing that people were doing earlier in the pandemic was using vouchers to buy new tickets for flights that they hoped would be cancelled, and then getting the cash refund if it happened. Otherwise, you'll have to find some way of spending the voucher. You have until the end of September 2023 to do it, so there is a quite a lot of flexibility there.
adrianlondon, FAA1996 and KARFA like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Thank you. Unfortunately the fare is non refundable. The gentleman I spoke to said I'd be able to get a voucher that I can use for myself or anyone else including BA Vacations. Does this sound correct? By the way it was impossible to get through to BA, had to call the EXP line at AA and ask to be transfered in order to talk to someone. Anyone have any ideas for using a BA voucher if I have no foreseeable plans to go to/through Europe?
Someone will correct me if this is bad advice to someone in your situation, but .... The vouchers are not limited to use by the person to whom they were issued. I would imagine that somewhere in the T&C it probably says that they cannot be sold, but if you had a "friend" who was willing to give you a "gift" in return for your "gift" of the voucher to them, it seems unlikely that this would cause a problem.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Someone will correct me if this is bad advice to someone in your situation, but .... The vouchers are not limited to use by the person to whom they were issued. I would imagine that somewhere in the T&C it probably says that they cannot be sold, but if you had a "friend" who was willing to give you a "gift" in return for your "gift" of the voucher to them, it seems unlikely that this would cause a problem.
It depends. If you get an offline FTV (definitely the case for reward bookings and sometimes for cash ones) then that is for the same passengers. If you get an online evoucher FTV you can use it for anyone.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by KARFA
It depends. If you get an offline FTV (definitely the case for reward bookings and sometimes for cash ones) then that is for the same passengers. If you get an online evoucher FTV you can use it for anyone.
"The gentleman I spoke to said I'd be able to get a voucher that I can use for myself or anyone else including BA Vacations."

It sounds like it should be an e-voucher, in which case my advice above should hold good. I wonder if there is actually a market in these vouchers (on Ebay maybe ?).
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
"The gentleman I spoke to said I'd be able to get a voucher that I can use for myself or anyone else including BA Vacations."

It sounds like it should be an e-voucher, in which case my advice above should hold good. I wonder if there is actually a market in these vouchers (on Ebay maybe ?).
You can’t guarantee which one you get, although there are factors which will clearly lead you down the offline FTV path. You will only know when you get the email.

I seem to think the terms and conditions preclude selling them.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for all the answers and input, when booking ho,idays/vacations do they have to be hotel/flight combinations or can you book hotels only with the vouhers?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA, DL
eVoucher

Originally Posted by Brighterside
The 28 day rule is for bookings made on or after 16th December - see below taken from ba.com

Changing your booking

If you are travelling any time before 31 August 2022, you can change the dates and destination of your booking without incurring a change fee, although you will need to pay any difference in price. You will need to give us advanced notice as follows:

Bookings made up to and including 15 December 2021: 3 weeks notice.
  • Bookings made from 16 December 2021: 28 days notice.

Cancelling your booking

If you decide you no longer want to travel, you can cancel your booking and we’ll give you a voucher for a future booking valid for use up to 30 September 2023. You will need to give us advanced notice as follows:

Bookings made up to and including 15 December 2021: 3 weeks notice.
  • Bookings made from 16 December 2021: 28 days notice."
Hi there. We booked our tickets (cash tickets) to Finland on Nov. 3, 2021 to travel on Jan. 4, 2022. All flights, on the same itinerary, will be BA code-shared flights with AA and AY.
LAX-MIA-HEL (BA 5242 and BA 6030)
HEL-JFK-LAX (BA 6051 and BA 4338)

Originally, we booked this as a tier points run (renewal date in April.) I just received an email from BA about extending my Sapphire status for another year, and this Omnicron variant is highly contagious and transmissible. We are concerned that we may get a positive test in Helsinki and have to be quarantined there for 10-14 days before we're allowed to return (we did purchase travel insurance and upped the limit of our travel/trip delay.) Now BA has extended my and many others' status for another year. Taking this kind of risk is almost unnecessary. And of course, after reading this post about booking with confidence, I realized that we were now under 3 weeks to give advanced notice. We merely want the eVoucher or FTV, to be used for future travel and are fine with the Sep. 2023 deadline for the voucher. Is there any penalty imposed on if we cancel/postone our trip?

Thank you.
CJ Hsu
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, DL
Originally Posted by ronin98syu
Hi there. We booked our tickets (cash tickets) to Finland on Nov. 3, 2021 to travel on Jan. 4, 2022. All flights, on the same itinerary, will be BA code-shared flights with AA and AY.
LAX-MIA-HEL (BA 5242 and BA 6030)
HEL-JFK-LAX (BA 6051 and BA 4338)

Originally, we booked this as a tier points run (renewal date in April.) I just received an email from BA about extending my Sapphire status for another year, and this Omnicron variant is highly contagious and transmissible. We are concerned that we may get a positive test in Helsinki and have to be quarantined there for 10-14 days before we're allowed to return (we did purchase travel insurance and upped the limit of our travel/trip delay.) Now BA has extended my and many others' status for another year. Taking this kind of risk is almost unnecessary. And of course, after reading this post about booking with confidence, I realized that we were now under 3 weeks to give advanced notice. We merely want the eVoucher or FTV, to be used for future travel and are fine with the Sep. 2023 deadline for the voucher. Is there any penalty imposed on if we cancel/postone our trip?

Thank you.
CJ Hsu
Just read it again and realized that the policy is for bookings with BA Holidays. Ours was not.

Thank you for your time. Happy Holidays, everyone!

CJ Hsu
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a booking I want to FTV. Outbound in 2 days, 24th Dec. I've been waiting just in case BA decided to cancel either flight. Shall I just go ahead or wait until tomorrow just in case?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I have a booking I want to FTV. Outbound in 2 days, 24th Dec. I've been waiting just in case BA decided to cancel either flight. Shall I just go ahead or wait until tomorrow just in case?
Mine is tomorrow evening (23rd). I'll cancel it tomorrow afternoon. It's now unlikely BA will cancel it so I could do it today, but there's no reason to, so I'll still cancel it tomorrow. It's a reward booking.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:04 am

Just to double check... is it ok to ask for an e-voucher using the online form for a flight tomorrow morning? No need to call, right? Will taking a screenshot pre and post submission be enough in case something goes wrong?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by ringingup
Just to double check... is it ok to ask for an e-voucher using the online form for a flight tomorrow morning? No need to call, right? Will taking a screenshot pre and post submission be enough in case something goes wrong?
It is, you're able to do it up to an hour before departure.

I received my e-vouchers in about 10-20 minutes when I last requested them through the online form a couple of weeks ago. That was with a straight cash booking though, so if it doesn't include Avios you should be good to go.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
It is, you're able to do it up to an hour before departure.

I received my e-vouchers in about 10-20 minutes when I last requested them through the online form a couple of weeks ago. That was with a straight cash booking though, so if it doesn't include Avios you should be good to go.
Applied and received it in less than 10 minutes. A total value of £284 for £184 + 5,000 Avios is not bad at all!
FlightDetective and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:48 pm
RYX

Programs: BAEC
Apologies if this has been answered already, but I was wondering if it's possible to request an eVoucher/FTV for the return leg only of a cash booking (already flown the outbound leg)? And if so, how would the value of the FTV be calculated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.