Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Go Around On The Ground At GLA. Long Safety Video To Blame?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:22 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Afternoon All

Flew down from GLA on BA1487 this afternoon. We were on an A319 (felt like bliss compared to the A321neo) and were given a treat by the way of the safety video rather than the manual safety demonstration. Pushed back on time from gate 21 and after start-up, taxied to runway 23. Safety video started during pushback.

Now, this isn’t a post about the video per se, but was wondering if the length of it was the cause of what happened at the end of the taxi. We got to the holding point before entry on to the runway where we sat for not very long. Without the ‘ding’ happening, we pulled onto the runway and sat at the take off point for not very long. We then started moving along the runway until the first exit taxiway and a ‘ground go around’ was performed until we were back at the hold point again. The video was still playing up until we pulled onto the exit and cabin crew still securing the cabin. Only when we got to the hold point again did the CSM put the cabin secure slider across and told crew to take their seats for departure.

Before re-entering the runway, the ‘ding’ was dinged on this occasion and we then taxied onto the runway and lined up for departure. All normal thereafter.

There was no aircraft behind us when we first lined up on the runway. The second time we were at the hold point, we had to wait on a lander.

My questions being, why did the flight crew move onto an active runway and initially line up without the audible cabin crew warning or ensuring the cabin was ready for departure before progressing to this point? Would there be any penalties for having to vacate the active runway because the cabin wasn’t secured?

This isn’t a criticism of the crew or anything like that, they know a hell of a lot more about these things than I do but I’m just genuinely curious as I cannot recall anything like this happening in all of the years I’ve been flying. And the video did seem to be rather long (latest re-mix version).

MODS: Feel free to move to a more appropriate place if you think it warrants.

Ta.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:38 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
One explanation could be the crew of a previous landing or departing aircraft reported debris on the runway, meaning an inspection had to take place. have had this a couple of times at LGW in the past 2 years - we get onto the runway to take off and promptly turn straight back off again. The flight deck have then announced that the immediately prior landing aircraft reported debris. 5 minutes or so later we were off.

That damn video is so tedious, for a non-English speaker it must be appalling to try and follow.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:10 pm

You could have missed your slot as well. That might require the aircraft to taxi around and vacate.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:28 pm

I had 7 flights the week before last week- they did the safety video on 1- the rest were manual. It is too long and the slots were tight following the storm delays and cancellations. I dont know why they stick with it- it isn't at all funny and those with a language other than English must find it very hard to follow- with the unfunny side quips.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've had that a couple of times.

Once at LHR on my first ever trip to the US (on TWA). The explanation was that an ATC issue meant that "Atlantic clearance hadn't yet been given".

The other was at MCO, where it was a similar ATC issue that meant we had to go back and rejoin the queue.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I was on this flight and witnessed what you describe OP, and assumed it was an over running safety video as you suggested.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Wayland
I was on this flight and witnessed what you describe OP, and assumed it was an over running safety video as you suggested.
It seemed to go on and on and on. Glad I wasn’t the only one wondering what was going on.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:55 pm

I don't know if this is a regional thing, but I (US) have never heard of an aborted takeoff referred to as a ground go-around. Is that a thing?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm very supportive of a comprehensive safety briefing but much less supportive of having time wasted by hearing the same boring jokes on a video for the hundredth time...
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
I don't know if this is a regional thing, but I (US) have never heard of an aborted takeoff referred to as a ground go-around. Is that a thing?
I think it’s deadpan British humour.

I don’t think it’s an aborted takeoff as the aircraft never began the takeoff roll. What probably happened is the crew held in position but had to vacate because of incoming aircraft which required them to taxi down runway and vacate. The F/D crew didn’t have the cabin secure.

This is what happened in Dublin another time
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:00 pm

We don’t know whether GLA ATC knew they weren’t ready. They are permitted to allow aircraft to wait on an active runway if the expectation all around is in good faith that it won’t hold up other traffic. Of course it could also be a repeat of the DUB incident with a greedy arrogant pilot, we just don’t know. As long as no ‘incident’ was caused or nearly caused, no worries.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think it’s deadpan British humour.

I don’t think it’s an aborted takeoff as the aircraft never began the takeoff roll. What probably happened is the crew held in position but had to vacate because of incoming aircraft which required them to taxi down runway and vacate. The F/D crew didn’t have the cabin secure.

This is what happened in Dublin another time https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWg7IpphPc8
was thinking of this incident as soon as I saw the original post.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm of the opinion that if it's more than 2 or 3 minutes it's too much information to really be meaningful. That should be taken in the context of I'm without any safety expertise whatsoever. But then I also think if you need instructions on how to fit a seat belt it's amazing you have the wherewithal to navigate to and through the airport.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: ba exec club
The lack of seatbelt sign cycling or dinging would suggest that there was no intention for a takeoff on the first movement onto the runway as standard operating procedure dictates this.

Therefore it likely would indicate traffic behind was ready before the aircraft was or at GLA specifically, the airport was using CAT3 ops whereby a holding point further back from the runway needs to be used if the aircraft is not ready for departure.

9/10 times it’s for traffic behind at GLA that cannot accept Bravo intersection.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dougzz
I'm of the opinion that if it's more than 2 or 3 minutes it's too much information to really be meaningful.
Have you seen the new QF video?

Their new one is (nice to watch and takes) over 8 minutes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.