Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight oversold- what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Flight oversold- what would you do?

One sector of my return flight from CPT is oversold. I am due to fly CPT-JNB-LHR-OSL on an exEU, returning to LHR on a separate ticket from OSL.

I am in F on the JNB-LHR is currently showing as 3 oversold and 6 oversold in J. This may well come down tomorrow when it moves across to Fly and any unticketted sales are removed.

I essentially flew via JNB to get the additional 40 TPs and would be happy to fly the direct flight with ORC if required, although I suspect with my CIV, if I turned up and did nothing, I am
unlikely to be the one left behind but this may well solve an issue for BA.

What would you do? Offer to help BA our if still oversold tomorrow when it moves across to Fly or just turn up and hope?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:02 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I would just fly your planned routing. I would avoid the hassle of contacting BA at this stage and also avoid the hassle of trying to get the ORC to post correctly subsequently.
If BA were proactive, they could always contact you directly and offer you the direct flight re-route.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by navylad
What would you do?
Nothing.

It is BA's job to transport you to the final destination in a timely manner, and there are options for re-routing should they be required.

If there is the need to bump people, alternative airlines are available - I got bumped (due to weather) last week onto LX F, which is a massive upgrade to my expected BA F sector to JNB. Maybe you will also get lucky.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I would say BA probably know what they are doing and are unlikely to need ‘help’ from passengers hopping around on ex-EU TP-maximised routings, regardless of CIV...!
navylad and mikeyfly like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Who would you call in BA? Unless there is some sort of disruption call center staff will not move you as they don’t see the full picture. Does Comair using Fly too? Do they have access to your CIV score? I honestly don’t know but it is possible the Comair using a different system. I assumed you are on a Comair from CPT-JNB segment. If they need to offload people they will do it after checkin closed or almost closed. Then offer those options.
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:29 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
You're way overthinking this. Check in on time and fly as planned.
navylad and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by navylad
One sector of my return flight from CPT is oversold. I am due to fly CPT-JNB-LHR-OSL on an exEU, returning to LHR on a separate ticket from OSL.

I am in F on the JNB-LHR is currently showing as 3 oversold and 6 oversold in J. This may well come down tomorrow when it moves across to Fly and any unticketted sales are removed.

I essentially flew via JNB to get the additional 40 TPs and would be happy to fly the direct flight with ORC if required, although I suspect with my CIV, if I turned up and did nothing, I am
unlikely to be the one left behind but this may well solve an issue for BA.

What would you do? Offer to help BA our if still oversold tomorrow when it moves across to Fly or just turn up and hope?
Call Alex Cruz to discuss this while putting on a face mask
imkevinmc, IAMORGAN and navylad like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Check-in nice and early and then enjoy the flights.
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Call Alex Cruz to discuss this while putting on a face mask
Should that not be demanding he puts on a face mask and demand he serves me paper covered champagne?

Yes I may be overthinking it of course, but the CDG. ZRH and FRA flight depart over 2 hours earlier so likely offloads would be hotel for the night and I’d rather not miss my separate ticket connection.

And yes I do have contacts in Ops who I could phone if required.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Do nothing unless what you’re really hoping for is a free change from CPT-LHR with the additional TPs/miles of CPT-JNB in which case if you have contacts, why not ask? If you don’t ask you don’t get / nothing ventured nothing gained!
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:02 am
Suspended

Flights are always oversold don't worry only issue if you don't get on might be the booking on a separate ticket as ba may not consider that in what they offer as it's a separate ticket so not protected.
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I will go along with the line of not trying to "help" BA in this area, the system really doesn't work for this, whereas BA is very skilled at heading off most problems. If they offer something - unlikely - then by all meams consider it, but only if they can totally confirm all the replacement flights and it's best not to assume ORC. I long learned to keep my trap shut on this when I was involuntary upgraded to First on a trans Atlantic service. I wandered down to Club Kitchen for some popcorn to come across an ExPlat moaning about the fact that he had missed his original connection and had been downgraded to Club on this replacement service.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If I may apologise for hijacking the thread - could I check if others agree with my assessment that my 115 to JFK tomorrow is likely overbooked at the back?

J7 C0 D0 R0 I0
W6 E0 T0
Y4 B3 H2 K2 M2 all others 0

Flight was scheduled to be a high J 744 till yesterday when it switched to a 772 (with 14F).

We are travelling in WT+ (2pax, both GGL). We are two travelling together, the switch has added 10 WT+ seats but taken out 21 WT seats and 38 CW seats, and the cabin clearly has many other pax (only 8 WT+ seats unselected and OLCI for O/D pax has not opened yet - it was 4 left before the cabin size was increased) so not hugely optimistic about an upgrade (never been upgraded from WT+ yet and on BA, only upgraded long haul once from J to F in December so I'm guessing I'm not a huge hit on the upgrade algorithm!), but would still like to know if the flight is likely sold out anyway which is how I would personally read the numbers (but mine is merely an amateurish intuition, whilst cws has a quasi computer-like accuracy about those things!).
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If I may apologise for hijacking the thread - could I check if others agree with my assessment that my 115 to JFK tomorrow is likely overbooked at the back?

J7 C0 D0 R0 I0
W6 E0 T0

Flight was scheduled to be a high J 744 till yesterday when it switched to a 772 (with 14F).

We are travelling in WT+ (2pax, both GGL). We are two travelling together, the switch has added 10 WT+ seats but taken out 21 WT seats and 38 CW seats, and the cabin clearly has many other pax (only 8 WT+ seats unselected and OLCI for O/D pax has not opened yet - it was 4 left before the cabin size was increased) so not hugely optimistic about an upgrade (never been upgraded from WT+ yet and on BA, only upgraded long haul once from J to F in December so I'm guessing I'm not a huge hit on the upgrade algorithm!), but would still like to know if the flight is likely sold out anyway which is how I would personally read the numbers (but mine is merely an amateurish intuition, whilst cws has a quasi computer-like accuracy about those things!).
I don’t think there will be any upgrades at all.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
J7 C0 D0 R0 I0
W6 E0 T0
It's also G2 so that to me suggests there are some WT seats still going. CW isn't oversold despite the move (probably why it was chosen for the downgrade) . What we don't know is whether staff standbys have gone through yet, though they have better services to aim for. So my guess - with a few staff wanting that service due to timings - is nearly full in WT, full in WTP, maybe a few people pushed from there to CW but not many, First has some empty seats. They will probably offer AUP on that.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.