FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Advice needed in Rio (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2011006-advice-needed-rio.html)

MickV Feb 29, 2020 2:13 pm

Advice needed in Rio

Bit of strange request for help. My parents have had to cut short their holiday in South America due to my father badly breaking his upper arm. He has been cleared to fly by a number of doctors and are currently in Buenos Aires before flying in tomorrow. They are arriving in at around 2pm before the BA flight later that night. BA have been great with me changing their flight back from Rio.
So onto the questions, I haven’t been to Rio but they have a day room booked in by the Copacabana but are there any better options close to the airport or attached to the airport so they don’t have far to travel.
Can I sort assistance for them in Heathrow to help connecting onto their domestic flight a few hours later.
Any recommendations great-fully received.

The _Banking_Scot Feb 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi,

There is the Linx Galeao and the Rio Aerporto hotels ( 3*) within 0.5miles and looks like a shuttle bus is provided which would be the closest.

You could try the mobilty assistance team via BA for LHR assistance,

Regards

TBS

corporate-wage-slave Feb 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Yes, there are some hotels at the airport and elsewhere on Goverrnor's Island but actually you're not saving a lot of time. Because of the road network Copacabana is only 30-40 minutes away, and Icarai about the same (though geographically nearer). The airport island isn't so attractive, whereas the beach is of course well known. Personally I'd be OK with a good quality hotel on Copa, if you allow an hour for the transfer you would be more than fine. I think the crews stay in that general area too.

I think you can put the assistance request on MMB.

navylad Feb 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32127104)
I think you can put the assistance request on MMB.

indeed you can, click special requests and then disability and mobility assistance.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5065026b4c.png

It does only give you the options for mobility assistance, eyesight, hearing or developmental disabilities, whereas the assistance team if you call can free text into the booking if you have a disability that doesn’t fit into one of those tour categories and can in theory also bespoke a support solution.

BrianWBrazil Feb 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Even with priority check-in, I always leave home in Zona Sul at 19:00 to catch the BA 248 departing at 22:00. Sometimes that is way too much but other times I have been a bit worried at the clock ticks by and I'm waiting for long lines at security and passport control. Your parents will arrive at GIG at 14:00 which should easily get them into Zona Sul (the nicer beach neighborhoods) by 15:00. But they should really start on their way back to GIG by 19:00. Uber is very good in Rio and as I write this I can see that a car collecting me now at 19.30 would get me to GIG by 20.05 based on current traffic conditions. Sunday will be even smoother.

There is also a hotel in the departures area, but I have never used it. Using this requires a boarding pass and with only one flight per day, I don't think BA check-in opens prior to 3 hours before departure.

EDIT: On arrival and departure, the walk to and from the gate at GIG is ridiculously long even when using the travelators. A large part of the journey meanders through the duty free area (a compulsory route) and this does not have travelators.

MickV Feb 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks all. I have them booked into the Belmond Palace and they are arranging pick up and drop off back to the airport so hopefully that works well. They’ll make sure to leave plenty of time to get back to the airport.

BA have been extremely great trying to help with flights. The changes I’ve made have all been done painlessly so far. Being a third party nominee on the account has made the process very simple. I had look at the Heathrow assistance but I’m not sure if he fits into the drop down boxes. Thanks again!

FlyerTalker39574 Feb 29, 2020 4:55 pm

There can be long lines at security and passport control, it definitely is one of those extra time is needed airports.

fissfiss Feb 29, 2020 6:15 pm

I broke my wrist 5 years ago in the middle of a multi city itinerary. I had no need for a wheelchair, so did not request assistance on line...but, it was easy enough to stand in the special line at security, if it existed...and take advantage of preboarding, your dad does not need to be whacked in the arm by the masses slinging their carryons around.

ginger50 Feb 29, 2020 6:24 pm

My wife broke some ribs a while ago while overseas and the response from BA was stellar.... they were so helpful and accommodating.

I hope your Dad gets back comfortably.

G50

bobbytables Feb 29, 2020 11:17 pm

I know you mentioned that several doctors have "cleared" him to fly, but just for clarity: do make sure you have a document certifying that.

juniordk2000 Mar 1, 2020 12:09 am

As mentioned earlier do book wheelchair assistance as there are some really long walks in the Rio airport, both on arrival and departure.
Belmond is excellent.
Traffic can vary a lot in Rio, so I always leave Copacabana three hours before departure.

MickV Mar 1, 2020 6:27 am

On the off chance that it is needed can anyone recommend a good hospital in Rio? English speaking would be preferable.

orbitmic Mar 1, 2020 6:38 am

Originally Posted by MickV (Post 32127286)
Thanks all. I have them booked into the Belmond Palace and they are arranging pick up and drop off back to the airport so hopefully that works well.

Great hotel, but to be honest, unless you really do not care about the money, that really is a bit of a waste for a place where they will only end up being able to stay a few hours (assuming that their arriving flight is not late). Really in this case, I'd go for the transit Aerotel which is airside in T2 (from which BA flights leave) or the Rio Aeroporto hotel which is landside at terminal 1 .

corporate-wage-slave Mar 1, 2020 6:40 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 32128861)
Great hotel, but to be honest, unless you really do not care about the money, that really is a bit of a waste for a place where they will only end up being able to stay a few hours (assuming that their arriving flight is not late). Really in this case, I'd go for the transit Aerotel which is airside in T2 (from which BA flights leave) or the Rio Aeroporto hotel which is landside at terminal 1 .

I'm taking the view that probably the OP's parents have had a difficult time in the last few days, and at least they will, despite everything else, salvage a few hours at one of Rio's iconic hotels in an iconic location. It will make some nice snaps and they will be well looked after there.

juniordk2000 Mar 1, 2020 7:13 am

Hospital Copa D'or on Rua Figueiredo de Magalhães is the best choice. Very close to Belmond.