Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I just spoke to an agent whilst cancelling a few itineraries. There are policies in place for members with their status renewals in February, March & April.

Obviously, lack of travel now will impact a large number of BAEC members tier point earning and renewals, so I imagine there will be some leniency later in the year too.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Interesting. I was well ahead of schedule for renewal (about 80% there with 4 months to go) but clients are now implementing their own “work from home” policies and I’ve had to cancel my next 3 weeks’ flights. Not an issue in itself but it could become one if things remain like this for the next couple of months.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
My membership year ends on March 8th and I've re qualified for GGL / CCR. I have my doubts about the coming membership year if things continue as they are at the moment however.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Also 8th march year ending retained gold , but most of my trips cancelled. Not sure about the upcoming year as most events which I travel for cancelled.
Hope Ba shows some generosity by extending status.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
All my travel takes place in the last month of my year but currently on 20 tier points. Somehow just don’t see BA being in the least bit generous. Their waiver on tickets is pitiful (compared to QR and S7) so am not holding my breath
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The situation is quite problematic for us based in Asia as travel restrictions make CX almost unusable which only leaves MH in the SEA region. The CX cancellations alone made my projected TP earning for the first quarter of my earning year dropped from +1800TP to 600TP. I fully intend to renew GGL but at this rate it might require some unnecessary TP runs which I don't really enjoy doing.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Being more of a VS user back then, my recollection of how they handled things during the 2002 SARS outbreak, was that they dropped status qualification/re-qualification points by 25-30% for both renewals and level changes occurring in the 12 months following the travel restrictions and subsequent down-turn.

This accommodated the needs of both existing VSFC members and potential new entrants working toward status but now flying less without the need to handle customer service requests for status extensions.

Based on previous reports, I doubt BA would do such a thing (e.g. drop Gold qual/requal to ~1000-1200 TP), but maybe if they calculated that it's actually just less hassle to do this in terms of cost and time, rather than deal with special requests on a case-by-case basis, maybe they would choose this path.

Last edited by mjh0; Mar 7, 2020 at 4:10 am
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by mjh0
Being more of a VS user back then, my recollection of how they handled things during the 2002 SARS outbreak, was that they dropped status qualification/re-qualification points by 25-30% for both renewals and level changes occurring in the 12 months following the travel restrictions and subsequent down-turn.

This accommodated the needs of both existing VSFC members and potential new entrants working toward status but now flying less without the need to handle customer service requests for status extensions.

Based on previous reports, I doubt BA would do such a thing (e.g. drop Gold qual/requal to ~1000-1200 TP), but maybe if they calculated that it's actually just less hassle to do this in terms of cost and time, rather than deal with special requests on a case-by-case basis, maybe they would choose this path.
It would be even more straightforward just to extend all status by 12 months. Doubt BA will do this however.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by binman
Their waiver on tickets is pitiful (compared to QR and S7) so am not holding my breath
Book with Confidence was planned last weekend and announced on Monday, so I would expect a similar response to this weekend's competitor announcements early next week.

I’m unsure about a S7-style waiver, it would kill BA’s cashflow and put a huge risk on revenue for the rest of the year - only BA management will know if that’s a risk they can afford. What works for one airline (and is needed/suitable in their market) does not necessarily apply to all airlines globally and kneejerk like-for-like reactions aren’t always helpful.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:04 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by af101
A conference I was attending in West Coast US is cancelled due to Covid-19. If this was just my employer's money that wouldn't be a problem, but I had paid out my own pocket for Club on top of the base fare, and with this flight I would have also hit 1500 TPs.

So if I let it lapse, I lose ~£800, and probably don't hit Gold.

I could go anyway and have a holiday but would need to refund ~£700 to the company since it's no longer company business.

What would you do? What else could I maybe do? Primary goal is not to lose money
I have a similar, but smaller scale example - flights and hotels booked (non cancellable; employer policy)... I paid for the upgrade to Club. Event has been cancelled.

Given that flights and hotel costs are sunk, I'm going to take the flights, and be a tourist for a couple of days. Yes, it'll cost me a couple of days of my holiday entitlement, but it's usually a challenge to use it without an extended Christmas break anyway...
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Mike P
It would be even more straightforward just to extend all status by 12 months. Doubt BA will do this however.
I'd argue that's actually less straightforward. It also somewhat disproportionately benefits those who are already "in", even if they have barely set foot on a BA/OW aircraft at all this year, as opposed to those who were in a good place to level up during their current BAEC membership year, who now probably won't as a result of reduced flying.

Implementing a reduced TP quota will better reward those who've actually been actively flying BA/OW in the preceding 12 months, and regardless of present-day BAEC status. Could even extend the TP reduction to Jokers and GUFs, as it's clear some Goldies and GGLs were hoping for a GUF or similar, and will now narrowly miss out.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by mjh0
I'd argue that's actually less straightforward. It also somewhat disproportionately benefits those who are already "in", even if they have barely set foot on a BA/OW aircraft at all this year, as opposed to those who were in a good place to level up during their current BAEC membership year, who now probably won't as a result of reduced flying.

Implementing a reduced TP quota will better reward those who've actually been actively flying BA/OW in the preceding 12 months, and regardless of present-day BAEC status. Could even extend the TP reduction to Jokers and GUFs, as it's clear some Goldies and GGLs were hoping for a GUF or similar, and will now narrowly miss out.
Why do you think it would be less straightforward? Would it extend to re qualification only or to moving up through the tiers? How long would it run for and what happens to people that inevitably just miss cutoff dates? Sorry, don't agree with you here.

I think the chances of reduced thresholds for maintaining status are slim, I suspect there will either be a discretionary policy or a blanket extension. I think the chance of reduced thresholds for things like Jokers and GUFs (as well as CCR card) is zero.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Mike P
My membership year ends on March 8th and I've re qualified for GGL / CCR. I have my doubts about the coming membership year if things continue as they are at the moment however.
I'm in exactly the same position - but have had to cancel 3 upcoming trips (2,240 TPs worth)
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:49 am

My year ends in June. I won't requalify as things stand and since my flights are normally booked at short notice, I'm not cancelling any but rather not booking them.

So I'm not holding my breath for any leniency with BA.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by jonnye
I'm in exactly the same position - but have had to cancel 3 upcoming trips (2,240 TPs worth)
Ouch. That's a lot of tier points to lose. We are now under a travel embargo at work so not a good situation for me either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.