Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Globalist
And that is exactly my situation. Requalified in January for my March 8 deadline with over 1500 TP, and have not seen the inside of a plane since. That’s 4 out of 12 months gone without earning any points. July, August and September don’t like any more promising. So if BA expects me to earn 1500 points in half a year that’s just not realistic.

Globalist
Similar for me- my year started February. Got 360 TP with 40 weather cancelled in Feb. Had about 1100 booked between March and July with 160 in December. Every flight has been cancelled or significantly changed. Just over 1000 cancelled so far. I cant travel in the autumn this year and so my BA year is effectively almost over.

BA say to email 2 weeks before my year end and provide details of the cancelled flights and they 'might' renew gold. . I can do that now and list my cancellations but apparently that isn't possible.
Globalist likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Which is something that is not being spoken about. We know (on the basis of the one TP reduction made so far) that BA are applying c10% off per month impacted, likely in 3 month windows (which very much helps those at the start of the period more than those at the end!)
If they had actually thought about this, they would have said that reductions will be a rolling window for all those impacted based on % of your year impacted. So if you renewed in August 2020, not only would you get 50/60% lower thresholds for your 2020 renewal, you will also get a 20% reduction for loss of August/September in your new year. Those who renewed in March 2020 and should therefore have a 60-70% reduction when they again renew in 2021, based on the period March-October that they were impacted. This again seems the fairest way of handling the issue, but not something that BA appear to have thought about....
Which sums up just how much of a coo’s erse BA is making of this. No need for such complicated machinations - extend everyone through to end 2021, and take the opportunity to put everyone on a calendar year from January 2022 going forward. Marginal cost of a few people accessing lounges when they wouldn’t otherwise are surely offset by the fact that most won’t (because they won’t be flying), by reduced strain on contact centre staff being asked to deal with exceptions, and efficiency savings going forward from having everyone on one year end.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Which sums up just how much of a coo’s erse BA is making of this. No need for such complicated machinations - extend everyone through to end 2021, and take the opportunity to put everyone on a calendar year from January 2022 going forward. Marginal cost of a few people accessing lounges when they wouldn’t otherwise are surely offset by the fact that most won’t (because they won’t be flying), by reduced strain on contact centre staff being asked to deal with exceptions, and efficiency savings going forward from having everyone on one year end.
What makes you think BA wants everyone to have the same Membership (calender) Year?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
I have a January anniversary date so I'm sitting at zero TP. I consistently get 2500-3500 TPs per year. I hope things return to normal in the 2nd half of the year, but my biggest issue is probably going to be the 4 BA flights for requalification. I'm US based and can probably put together some mileage runs on AA to get to 1000-1500 TPs if things return to somewhat normal over here. My problem right now is that international travel is still essentially prohibited for Americans. There are few places in the world that will accept Americans and due to the health warnings, we are not sure if our travel insurance will cover us for any international trips. Hopefully that changes, but I fear that international travel for us might not happen until 2021 when the vaccine is ready. I know it's beating a dead horse, but extending everyone's status by 1 year from their renewal date just seems so logical right now.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:56 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Yes, it’s one thing not being able to requalify (or a lot harder) but half of the year I spent time and money earning the status for has provided no benefit whatsoever.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Same situation as many have already noted. January renewal, often above 1500 TPs/year for more than a decade with TPs gained from 2-3 F or J international trips plus a few smaller domestic trips. The "loyalty" program works for me; the BAEC benefits were the primary reasons that I have flown with OW and BA, even when cheaper or direct options were available on other alliances/independent airlines. I think some of us assumed an implicit agreement where there was an expectation that repeated customer business would be rewarded with loyalty benefits.

Now, no travel to maintain status and no travel to use current status --> it seems sensible to follow most other major programs and grant an extension (12 months) to BAEC members (sure, add a carryover of current TPs for those who had TPs prior to shutdown, essentially removing 2020 from the BAEC calendar). It does not seem sensible to shift the duty to CS staff to handle each case individually. While there is little international or domestic travel for the near future, the delays from BA to formally announce a policy to provide some confidence to the BAEC members with future renewal dates is frustrating and doesn't demonstrate loyalty to the customers.
FFMilesJunkie, esledo and chris87 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Qantas, BA
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
I have a January anniversary date so I'm sitting at zero TP. I consistently get 2500-3500 TPs per year. I hope things return to normal in the 2nd half of the year, but my biggest issue is probably going to be the 4 BA flights for requalification. I'm US based and can probably put together some mileage runs on AA to get to 1000-1500 TPs if things return to somewhat normal over here. My problem right now is that international travel is still essentially prohibited for Americans. There are few places in the world that will accept Americans and due to the health warnings, we are not sure if our travel insurance will cover us for any international trips. Hopefully that changes, but I fear that international travel for us might not happen until 2021 when the vaccine is ready. I know it's beating a dead horse, but extending everyone's status by 1 year from their renewal date just seems so logical right now.
I am in the same boat as you (except I am silver) I'm Australia based and my CX flights home were cancelled as was my trips to DBV and AMS. The only flight BA does here is is to Singapore which is long haul and isn't perticularly cheap for picking up 4 flights needed, but like you guys all international travel is banned so I am stuck on zero points too. I can get a couple of Qantas domestic or maybe a Fiji Airways flight if they open up that route but nearly all are under 2000 miles so don't have much reward in the way of TP.
FFMilesJunkie likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I've thought long about this, and I think BA may have pulled the trigger a bit early on their initial policy. With the added complexity of membership years spread out around the year, they probably wanted to be seen to do something, but didn't know for how long the situation was going to be around. The 30% reduction for Apr-Jun was a first step and they are now seeing that things won't improve/pick up for a while and may stop TPs resetting for the next 12 months to give us extra time to rebuild our statuses in a degraded mode.

In a state of anxiety (this is a FF forum, I think I can call it that when it comes to status) we tend to think the worst, especially since we have been disappointed with some of BA's behaviour, and we have nothing better to do at the moment. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they announce what the next step is.

Also, I'm not booking anything right now, but I have some interesting travel to plan for April 21 (topic for another thread today or tomorrow), so I hope to see some positive news. I'll probably still book OW anyway, however disappointed I may be, because I feel like I'm in a captive market -- a lot of my flying is LON-EU, with a few long-hauls a year, so BA's network has no real competition from where I stand...
Arsey00 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
. The 30% reduction for Apr-Jun was a first step and they are now seeing that things won't improve/pick up for a while and may stop TPs resetting for the next 12 months to give us extra time to rebuild our statuses in a degraded mode.
They have sent the 'welcome back' email and some routes will be resuming soon. Therefore from BA's perspetive, no reason not to be flying. And if you choose not to fly, then no reason to renew your status (or at least that is the message that seems to be coming out at the moment, i.e. by not saying anything other than 'welcome back'...)
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
I have had it confirmed although I had over 1500 points of pending (but not booked flights) - pending was because our organisations policy is not to book until 3 weeks before, all were to China so they were stopped quicker, they will not consider a gold extension. I could send evidence of all the accepted organisational travel request forms and a trail of emails from the clients I was visiting showing visits was set up (redacted of course) but it is not going to achieve anything. I got automatic lower status extensions with two other airlines, so BAs loss. It's stupid that one cancellation during an IT meltdown and they were throwing one year extensions all over the place and now when they really need their business customers back they are being so stubborn.
Oh well good luck BA hope you don't lose to much from other loss of business elsewhere................

Yes I had the welcome back email - how do they expect us to make business flights when FCO won't allow us......................
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Indeed, the "welcome back" email was troubling and poorly timed. Given the 14 day quarantines on arrival, multiple closed international borders, and business policies banning trips, travel will be very limited in the near term and likely for the remainder of 2020.

I am curious if an epidemiologist could assess their new policies; I don't know if BA's new policies will reduce significantly the risk of spread of a highly contagious, often asymptomatic respiratory virus. How will BA protect the flight staff?

The Qatar Airways flight to Greece is a prime example of how the virus can hide, although some of the positive PCR tests could be residual, noncontagious viral load. I only hope that there are no additional cases as a result of the flight.

Last edited by BosEuro; Jun 5, 2020 at 9:36 am Reason: Clarified which email from BA
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
I have had it confirmed although I had over 1500 points of pending (but not booked flights) - pending was because our organisations policy is not to book until 3 weeks before, all were to China so they were stopped quicker, they will not consider a gold extension.
When is your year end, and how may TPs are you on?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:51 am

The reason why you extend isn’t to keep people overly happy, it is to ensure that your captive base remains that. With no full extensions granted, BA are just ensuring the threshold to cross over gets lowered so I remain very puzzled as to why they haven’t done it.

Perhaps their view is that silver is too generous with too many at that level, any one who drops from gold to silver will keep large parts of benefits and those who are captive to BA by virtue of corporate contracts or origin will remain customers.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Goodbye BAEC, I'm happy to switch to QRPC Platinum ( via status match ) for a minimum of 2 years.
Don't worry, I'll still be around here in the BAEC forum.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Goodbye BAEC, I'm happy to switch to QRPC Platinum ( via status match ) for a minimum of 2 years.
Don't worry, I'll still be around here in the BAEC forum.
Golly gosh (I’m on a one-man campaign to revive that slice of ye olde English !)

I somehow got the impression () that you were a fully-committed BA supporter ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.