Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Good news, wilko1.

Has anyone had any success with getting GUFs credited where they would have been earned if flights not cancelled? I am so close to a GUF threshold that I'll be mightily miffed if BA denies it, especially as I booked another flight last week to ensure I crossed the threshold either way and now that flight has also been cancelled !
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire mainly
Here's another data point.

My tier point collection year ends June 8th. I had already made a couple of bookings for April, which then got cancelled by the airlines. These bookings would have allowed me to requalify for Silver.

So I got in contact with BA with their webform and provided the PNRs of the cancelled bookings with an explanation of the situation. Just received a reply:

Dear pointtaken

Thank you for contacting the Club - it's nice to hear from you.

I understand why you don’t think you’ll have enough time to earn the Tier Points you need to achieve Silver before the end of your Tier Point collection year.

I know that you choose to fly with us regularly, so I’m happy to thank you for your loyalty to British Airways with a two-week extension to your Tier Point collection year. I hope this will give you the extra time you need.

I have now extended your Tier Point collection year until 22 June 2020. If you can earn the Tier Points by then, please get in touch with me after the flights are credited to your account and I will renew your membership.

Thank you for choosing British Airways and I look forward to hearing from you.
How generous. I have 20 tier points for this year and the cancelled bookings would have given me over 600 TPs to easily requalify for Silver. What am I supposed to do in two weeks with most of the places locked down and mandatory quarantines in place.

Come on BA, don't be like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by pointtaken

How generous. I have 20 tier points for this year and the cancelled bookings would have given me over 600 TPs to easily requalify for Silver. What am I supposed to do in two weeks with most of the places locked down and mandatory quarantines in place.

So sorry - that made me snort at how ridiculously ungenerous the response is. I would definitely recommend doing the email equivalent of 'hang up and phone again', possibly after the end of your tier year.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:07 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Good news, wilko1.

Has anyone had any success with getting GUFs credited where they would have been earned if flights not cancelled? I am so close to a GUF threshold that I'll be mightily miffed if BA denies it, especially as I booked another flight last week to ensure I crossed the threshold either way and now that flight has also been cancelled !
I was in that situation for the 3500 TP award. The GGL agent said it would be fine, but this was subsequently refused by the back office. I 'appealed' and asked them to reconsider, but was refused. I have only been GGL for about 10 years, so clearly don't carry much sway.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by squeeler
I was in that situation for the 3500 TP award. The GGL agent said it would be fine, but this was subsequently refused by the back office. I 'appealed' and asked them to reconsider, but was refused. I have only been GGL for about 10 years, so clearly don't carry much sway.
I think if you are relying on showing cancelled bookings to make up a short fall get to the reduced 3500 threshold for getting/renewing GGL/CCR, you can't also get the 2xGUF1s as well which would be due at that level. It is one or the other.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Ooops, misread the post.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My collection year ends in July and I am short of the necessary TP's to retain gold status.

What is the best way to contact BA to see if there are any available options on status extensions?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold

My tier point collection year ends June 8th. I had already made a couple of bookings for April, which then got cancelled by the airlines. These bookings would have allowed me to requalify for Silver.

So I got in contact with BA with their webform and provided the PNRs of the cancelled bookings with an explanation of the situation. Just received a reply:

I would recommend one of two things. Either reply back restating that Silver would have been achieved if not for the cancellations, or after 22 June write back that whilst the extension was appreciated given the previous cancellations and the travel quarantine it was not possible to travel.

I think common sense will prevail.

H
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Agent69
My collection year ends in July and I am short of the necessary TP's to retain gold status.

What is the best way to contact BA to see if there are any available options on status extensions?
How short are you and how many TPs have you lost through cancelled bookings since March?

Tbh I would wait for a few weeks if I were you. I would imagine something will be announced for July renewals which may change things anyway.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:27 am

I would wait until you have actually dropped down to silver. There have been many reports on here of people having their status renewed with no warning or communication from BA.

If you do need to contact, I would use the contact webform on the BA website.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Has anyone had any success in having TPs lost through Covid-19 cancellations credited towards lifetime status? Could also do with the lost 6k, 7k and 8k thresholds I would have passed before June 8th if flights had not been cancelled? Thankfully I renewed CCR prior to my self-imposed travel halt in mid March. I suspect I'm probably out of luck on all of the above.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by golfmad
Has anyone had any success in having TPs lost through Covid-19 cancellations credited towards lifetime status? Could also do with the lost 6k, 7k and 8k thresholds I would have passed before June 8th if flights had not been cancelled? Thankfully I renewed CCR prior to my self-imposed travel halt in mid March. I suspect I'm probably out of luck on all of the above.
It will be a decline on those. LTPs aren't updated for hypothetical flights, and the 6k+ thrresholds also have to be met with real flights.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos

It sounds like they have misunderstood what you told them. There have been several posts here where the TPs that would have been earned from cancelled bookings have been taken into account for re-qualification. - and I have been told in a telephone conversation that this should be the case.

I'd reply to their email or submit another form making it as clear as possible that you want the cancelled TPs to be recognised.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:08 am

Sorry to ask such a basic question but I see here that people here have been submitting enquiries wrt BAEC status through the webform......what is this and how do I find it please?!

Many ta's
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC

I called the Gold line and I was short of 40 TP but they did not renew it or extended a few months more so when travel resumes I can make it.
As they have said, they asked me for cancelled reservations, which I had none as I did not book anything anticipating cancellations and travel banned...
Good luck with your case, I will be silver 1 year (at least) and then think whether I go for Gold or move to other FFP (i.e. IB)

Last edited by Circusplaza; Jun 2, 2020 at 8:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.