Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 15, 20, 10:18 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: carrotjuice
Wiki Link
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by tombaum View Post
My Gold membership is due for renewal on 8th July. I have not heard anything from BA to date about this.

I currently have 850 TPs for this year and so, under the 30% rule, would not qualify for Gold renewal. However, between April and June, I was scheduled to take 8 long-haul returns of which 7 would have been on BA and 1 on Qatar. Only 2 of these were actually booked but they would have taken me over the 1050 threshold before BA cancelled the flights.

I can get a letter from my employer, confirming plans to book the remainder with BA/ QR. Advice as to whether I should argue the toss if BA inform me that I am downgraded?
I was told on the Gold line that cancelled bookings would be taken into account for renewals - just provide the booking refs close to your collection year end.

My year finishes on 8 Dec and, with my current TPs plus the cancelled ones, I will renew. However, I expect, or hope, that the thresholds will be readjusted by then!
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:08 pm

Programs: Primary: BA Blue Member, Virgin Flying Club. Also Qantas, Air France & Emirates
I was scheduled to take 8 long-haul returns of which 7 would have been on BA and 1 on Qatar. Only 2 of these were actually booked but they would have taken me over the 1050 threshold before BA cancelled the flights.

I can get a letter from my employer, confirming plans to book the remainder with BA/ QR. Advice as to whether I should argue the toss if BA inform me that I am downgraded?
If they weren't booked then its impossible. What would stop me saying i'd planned 5000 TP worth of flights over summer to GGL but changed my mind due to Covid-19?
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by npturner View Post
If they weren't booked then its impossible. What would stop me saying i'd planned 5000 TP worth of flights over summer to GGL but changed my mind due to Covid-19?
That's where looking at the customer's booking history would come in.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
My Gold membership is due for renewal on 8th July. I have not heard anything from BA to date about this.

I currently have 850 TPs for this year and so, under the 30% rule, would not qualify for Gold renewal. However, between April and June, I was scheduled to take 8 long-haul returns of which 7 would have been on BA and 1 on Qatar. Only 2 of these were actually booked but they would have taken me over the 1050 threshold before BA cancelled the flights.

Why not try for GGL ?
Misco60 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 3:38 pm

So what to do. Relatively few people book 12 months, or even 6 months worth of work travel in advance. The longer this goes on for, the more 'would have booked under normal circumstances' bookings are happening. Should we all have carried on booking despite the fact that work won't let us travel, or that UK GOV advises agaisnt essential travel. How are other airlines making such judgement calls on their FF elites?
(Answer: they have extended status!)
chris87 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

It's a reasonable question, but I think it's unlikely to be possible - you can see how it may be easy to abuse unfortunately.

At the moment there isn't any policy for July renewals. The threshold for June is 1050 so July should be less, so it is possible you may still renew anyway. As noted by others if you have bookings which are cancelled keep a note since BA do seem to be willing to look at that if that would take you over the July threshold.
Old Jun 1, 20, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They obviously will go by precedent. If you have been hitting a level consistently for years in a certain window, let's say 1500 thru 2500 TP's per year they will believe you. If you have averaged 500 and squeaked bronze, they are not going to believe that you were really really going to hit Gold this time. Pretty simple really.
Old Jun 1, 20, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
They obviously will go by precedent. If you have been hitting a level consistently for years in a certain window, let's say 1500 thru 2500 TP's per year they will believe you. If you have averaged 500 and squeaked bronze, they are not going to believe that you were really really going to hit Gold this time. Pretty simple really.

no, it's not simple at all. As mentioned a number of times, the simple method would be an extension. Not sure why BA is making this so hard, and at the same time pissing off lots of (formerly) loyal customers.
jason8612, Alec84, esledo and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Explorer, AS, Hertz Cirque Presidentielle
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
no, it's not simple at all. As mentioned a number of times, the simple method would be an extension. Not sure why BA is making this so hard, and at the same time pissing off lots of (formerly) loyal customers.
Because they're BA. Not the first and last time it's the modus operandi of Waterside. I would rather ask: are you Brits so blind or daft that you don't shop around? If your treatment in the home market isn't perfect, then there's other OW FFPs and airline alliances. It's not like the British Isles are in isolation. At most a mental one.

FYI: it would be easy for me to do AY+ for an obvious reason, but I choose not to, since I do my regular calculations/comparisons on what gives me a competitive advantage for oneworld. And for the time being it won't change, even though BA has cancelled HEL. My very personal reason however is: why the heck would I want to travel 70-80 % AY on my own dime?! Having to see Finnish sourdoughs most of the time I travel. No, that's absolutely not down my alley. As for my possible BAEC alternatives, I personally have considered going IB+, but for the time being I'm more like waiting what happens with BAEC during the summer. I do have other options as well, but they're more limited in terms of earnings or they require waiting a while (yes, AS - quelle surprise). However there's some mighty cheap redemptions out there with some FFPs, but accrual is the issue with those. Anyway, I still have like five months on the day until my next flight and before that I have ample time to swap all my OW bookings to some other FFP.

My own biggest hurdle are all my Avios, so that leaves IB+ as the viable option, would I jump ship and still have all my Avios on hand. Once I have ~0, I could go other routes without a financial loss. As my AMEX MR credits can be transfered to multiple partners, I can always stash them for AF La Première or whatever. Currently my next target is two JL F redemptions for myself, since CX is coming up among my bookings. After that there's nothing special to stash Avios for. AA Flagship First will be checked off my list with cash, since partner redemptions are pretty impossible. Not sure yet how I will handle QR and QF, but it's possible the downfall of passenger aviation will kill off their F products before I make it.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Jun 2, 20 at 12:10 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 2, 20, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nacho..... I was obviously responding to the last few posts just then. Otherwise I think I have made my general thoughts extremely clear since the start of this thread.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
It's a comforting idea, but BAEC IT doesn't exactly shine when it comes to automating sweeps like that: so it would take some work checking and eye-balling accounts. Then more work dealing with endless arguments about the decisions.

But even worse in terms of effort would be working through through appeals based on abandoned journey, ticketed and cancelled, or unticketed programmed or imagined trips; multiple back-to-back UL-ticketed and cancelled shuttles between UAE and Jakarta etc etc

Easier would be something like the brutal but simple approach of Lufthansa, essentially extending membership by a year (OK, somewhat complicated by the two-year membership cycle). But certainly no nonsense about moving members up tiers on the basis of trips they might have made.

But Lufhansa M&M has a fixed, universal renewal date. To adopt a similar approach, BAEC might have to give a blanket one-year extension of membership to those renewal dates falling between, say, March 2020 and March 2021. Clearly a blessing for some, and a disappoint for others hoping to climb over status hurdles - but there'll be winners and losers whatever scheme is adopted.

I'm not expecting to be travelling before my year ends in mid-January. I've enjoyed the perks of Gold for a long time, but I'm absolutely unfazed at the prospect of dropping to silver until natural travel patterns kick back in: there's an awful lot going on right now, outside the world of shiny cards.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
i wish they would just extend everyone for 6 months or a year. with a tp year end in april i did meet my 600 tp to maintain status, but have nor been able to fly the whole of April or May and BA flights are not planned to resume out of KRK till at least July 1st, so its this collection year I have lost 3 months of travel from rather than last year
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If those bookings would have got you Silver then you should drop a webform to BAEC, along the lines mentioned upthread. You can save yourself one loop by giving the informaiton requested from northeastflyer.
Well, I've submitted the webform - it asked what the 'topic' of the message was - I put 'membership benefits' as very little else seemed to fit. I've yet to hear anything back. The very least I expect is a polite refusal, but it took a surprisingly long time and considerable effort to list all the flights with flight numbers, departure/destination, and booking codes.
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:26 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor & IHG Plat; Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson G
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I'm absolutely unfazed at the prospect of dropping to silver until natural travel patterns kick back in
This is an important point -- and nudges us to remember how much more useful OW Sapphire status is than the *A equivalent. Even if we drop to Silver we'll still have plenty of free seat selection options and a much more comfortable airport experience than most people.
JamieABZ and Misco60 like this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by wilko1 View Post
Well, I've submitted the webform - it asked what the 'topic' of the message was - I put 'membership benefits' as very little else seemed to fit. I've yet to hear anything back. The very least I expect is a polite refusal, but it took a surprisingly long time and considerable effort to list all the flights with flight numbers, departure/destination, and booking codes.
Well let me get my hat and eat it. I take it back BA, (nearly) all is forgiven. Having dropped to Bronze following a large number of cancellations, I just got the below in an email following a form submission on the website where I listed all my cancelled flights:
"You mention you have had a number of flights that have been cancelled. Upon looking into this for you, I can see you would've exceeded the reduced amount of Tier Points required to upgrade your account to Gold status.

Therefore, I'm happy to say that I have now transferred your membership to Gold. Please be advised, it can take two to four days for the upgrade to be reflected on your account."

A nice gesture by BA, and in reality I am now far more likely to fly BA/oneworld when it does come around to re-booking all my cancelled travel.
Also, for my last 2 cancelled flights, I got through to BA in 10 minutes, and they processed the cancellation on the phone, with avios in account 2 days later, and a confirmation the refund had been processed (I had part paid with avios on a cash booking...).

Thanks to corporate-wage-slave for suggesting I email BA,.

Last edited by wilko1; Jun 2, 20 at 6:42 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: