Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Old May 19, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by air_boi
What is the BAEC email address? I've searched all over the place and can't find one. Just postal address and a phone number.
There's an email address for GGL and Prem, otherwise I think that there is a webform hidden away somewhere on ba.com once you're logged in..
<edit> just found it - under "contact information > all other enquiries"
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; May 19, 2020 at 2:10 am
Old May 19, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Will100
I emailed them yesterday speculatively (my renewal is not until November) detailing my cancelled trips (some with BA, some not) and they effectively said they would help me out nearer the time, seems reasonable to me.

there is nothing reasonable about each member calling in to try and make a case as to why his/her status should be extended.

sure, if you are an edge case, call. but this bizarre least-scalable approach is one of the most absurd things they have to deal with absent an actual policy like every other major across the globe.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
It is squeaky bum time for me. I qualified for Gold For Life in January. If no BA problems then I am sitting pretty but there is a possibility that after more than 20 years getting this status it will all go down the pan.

I am ever the optimist.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I just applied for a QR status match because of my Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus status, if approved and my status matched to QRPC Platinum ( Emerald ), I would stick with them for a while and according to my calculations, with my current reservations, I would maintain Emerald status until May 2022. Depending on the situation, I might shift back to BAEC later on.

With my current flying pattern, BA Gold/Silver would have no other benefit that QR Platinum does not have and the latter would be easier to maintain with the 50% reduced offer to maintain status.
I think the above is exactly why BA needs to do something now rather than later. If you have the means to achieve status in another OW airline FF scheme why would you remain loyal to and fly BA? If you are successful in getting the status match, and I hope you are, then why would you bother even booking anything with a BA flight number as you're going to get the benefits of their lounges and ground services via the other OW airline? You even said it yourself "I might shift back to BAEC later on". Why bother? It would make more sense to retain status via QR.

The irony is that BA may find more passengers using their lounges are FF members of OW airlines than the BAEC. I don't discount the possibility that BA is actually willing to do this as a means of reducing numbers in its own BAEC scheme and as a means of culling the numbers using its lounges in this post Covid-19 world. But it seems contrary to the idea of using BAEC as a means to generate business for BA.

For those saying it doesn't matter what BA is or isn't doing today because we aren't flying anywhere anyway I think this is short-sighted. What other airlines are doing today is generating goodwill in return for generating future revenue. You need to earn the TP each year to retain status but you also use your status for the benefits offered from the scheme. If you've lost the ability to use the benefits (see also the discussions on cancelling Amex Platinum cards) you're less likely to use BA again if you're not able to fly enough to retain status. I have the distinct feeling BA is only looking at the scheme from a London centric point of view but there are many who do not live near London who appreciate flying on BA. If they are snubbed by BAEC its a massive assumption to make that they will fly BA anyway.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AJA_
I think the above is exactly why BA needs to do something now rather than later. If you have the means to achieve status in another OW airline FF scheme why would you remain loyal to and fly BA? If you are successful in getting the status match, and I hope you are, then why would you bother even booking anything with a BA flight number as you're going to get the benefits of their lounges and ground services via the other OW airline? You even said it yourself "I might shift back to BAEC later on". Why bother? It would make more sense to retain status via QR.
For the first year, the reduced threshold ( 300 Qpoints + 4 QR segments ) could easily be retained than obtaining BA Gold. However, with my current OW flying pattern ( mostly on BA and AA ), it's easier to achieve BA Gold ( 1500TP + 4 BA segments ) rather than the renewal threshold of QRPC ( 540 Qpoints + 4 QR segments ). An advantage QRPC is that they still honor Qpoints for LATAM flights while BAEC doesn't. I don't know until when this norm would continue but with the LA deals around, it might be worth doing Qpoint runs to South America and explore countries that I haven't seen before.

At the moment, I am not working on a travel-based position so a huge amount of my flights are self-funded.

The irony is that BA may find more passengers using their lounges are FF members of OW airlines than the BAEC. I don't discount the possibility that BA is actually willing to do this as a means of reducing numbers in its own BAEC scheme and as a means of culling the numbers using its lounges in this post Covid-19 world. But it seems contrary to the idea of using BAEC as a means to generate business for BA.
Indeed, except the usage of the Elemis Spa on Economy and Concorde Room access, there is almost no significant benefit where other OWE statuses don't but BAEC Gold or GGL have ( when flying BA ). Maybe Hilton Diamond status for GGL but that's not my top priority as I don't fly enough to achieve GGL.

Also, I don't care about the Silver Line or the Gold Line when calling BA as I prefer to speak in Turkish and regardless of which number I call in Turkey ( the EXEC Silver one or the regular one ), the same agents answer my call. Maybe when calling the regular line, there would be more wait but that is not a big deal.

For those saying it doesn't matter what BA is or isn't doing today because we aren't flying anywhere anyway I think this is short-sighted. What other airlines are doing today is generating goodwill in return for generating future revenue. You need to earn the TP each year to retain status but you also use your status for the benefits offered from the scheme. If you've lost the ability to use the benefits (see also the discussions on cancelling Amex Platinum cards) you're less likely to use BA again if you're not able to fly enough to retain status. I have the distinct feeling BA is only looking at the scheme from a London centric point of view but there are many who do not live near London who appreciate flying on BA. If they are snubbed by BAEC its a massive assumption to make that they will fly BA anyway.
That's the worst part, however, it's true that London people have a huge revenue impact on BA's business model. Regardless if BA extends status or not, as I mentioned before here or on other threads, there would be people still using BA because it's the most convenient airline that people in London could fit into their business model ( unless they specifically fly to/from one region all the time ).
Old May 19, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Being of the many non-London based people ISTFlyer refers to, I think my mind is made up and the ball is in BA’s court.

I chased BA Gold last year because it was only 300TP’s away and felt the investment was worth it. My year at Gold started 8 January and so far I’ve flown 80TP’s.

By June I should have been sitting on slightly over 400TP’s which is over 300 higher than the same time last year. In a pre-covid world there is a distinct possibility I would have been commuting weekly between April and at least September with Heathrow my choice gateway. As it stands all that work is now remote. I am pretty confident Gold would have been renewed this year.

As it has happens my investment last year has been worth zero and with a baby on the way before Christmas my travel will be considerably reduced in the 21/22 membership year. Unless BA do something that keeps me at Gold through to at least the end of 21/22 membership year, I’ll be off somewhere else. That will probably be easyJet from (a presumably less horrifically busy) Belfast International, Qatar going East and whoever gives me the best value going transatlantic both likely from Dublin. My gut feeling is I’ll be saying ‘see ya later’ to IAG.

Last edited by SHT88T; May 19, 2020 at 9:53 am
Old May 19, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm hoping that they will do a one year status extension for everyone and roll over TP's currently held into the next membership year as a way of recognising those who had actually been flying with BA this year. I guess they would need to do that retrospectively for those with Apr-Jun membership years. Wishful thinking I'm sure.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:57 am

Small data point if this is helpful to anyone. I got in touch with BA regarding a cancelled Oneworld booking which would have netted enough TP to push my son (year end April) into Gold whilst also mentioning that my other half and I are also in the same situation TP-wise (Q4 year end however). Had the confirmation that we have all been nudged up to Gold. YMMV, obviously.

Originally Posted by SHT88T
As it has happens my investment last year has been worth zero and with a baby on the way before Christmas my travel will be considerably reduced in the 21/22 membership year.
You should still be able to avail of the Paternity benefit and get your status extended for a year?
wilsnunn likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Not sure if it has been mentioned here already but there has been a small addition to the FAQs on the page regarding status threshold lowering for those who reached Bronze or Silver through doing a certain number of flights per year. This wasn't originally there:

​​​​​​​
I usually qualify for Bronze or Silver through the eligible flight thresholds. Does the 30% reduction apply to me?The eligible flight thresholds for Bronze and Silver which are independent of the Tier Point thresholds have been reduced by 30% for Tier upgrades and renewals.

Bronze: 17 eligible flights
Silver: 35 eligible flights
Old May 19, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Whitstabubble
Small data point if this is helpful to anyone. I got in touch with BA regarding a cancelled Oneworld booking which would have netted enough TP to push my son (year end April) into Gold whilst also mentioning that my other half and I are also in the same situation TP-wise (Q4 year end however). Had the confirmation that we have all been nudged up to Gold. YMMV, obviously.
chatting w my ex who isnt as concerned about this as we are on here ;P and was told the same thing when he rang to get a refund and was told that "his number of years at gold would also be considered" when his renewal is due in august.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I'm a cynical old stick (apparently ​​​​​​) and my take is that BA's approach is "qu'ils mangent de la brioche"...

Their rich data modelling probably tells them that no matter what they fail to do with the BAEC, 95% of their customers will carry on as before (when things unlock) as their LHR stronghold will still be pretty strong, corporate deals will specify BA, people are creatures of habit etc. etc...

With the entire industry reduced to offering bread and water on board, preceded and followed by a shoddy ground experience, a business with "cost saving in its DNA" will not suffer disproportionately vis a vis the competition.

Quite what people will make of the demoralised crew on poverty wages is a topic for another day
Old May 19, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
You should still be able to avail of the Paternity benefit and get your status extended for a year?
Should we all expect a few flyertalk babies in the next year just for the status extensions?

It has crossed my mind when my wife told me we were expecting about 3 months ago... I totally didn't do it for status...... Honest...
Whitstabubble and wilsnunn like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by VSLover
there is nothing reasonable about each member calling in to try and make a case as to why his/her status should be extended.

sure, if you are an edge case, call. but this bizarre least-scalable approach is one of the most absurd things they have to deal with absent an actual policy like every other major across the globe.
Until you consider being nice to me may maintain my loyalty.

I’m going to spend on travel regardless, at the moment I am ‘tied in’ by some weird concept of loyalty. Help me out and this will probably continue, p£&@ me off and maybe I’ll fly Emirates.

The point is that I don’t really care either way, for BA they need the future business and they have the lounges and whatever minimal other benefits we use already in place.

My view is they need to wake up and engage.
SHT88T likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Perhaps, but that would likely be more appropriate when I roll into next membership year in Jan 2021? Then, without an extension for this years wipe out, I’d be soft landed to Silver for two years?

When I return to regular flying, probably mid to late next year at this rate, I will decide then who I travel with. If I still have a BA Gold card, they are more likely to get my business. If I don’t, I’ll assess all options at that point.

If we never step foot on another BA plane, what did it cost them to have me as a Gold card holder for an extra year? Nothing.

If I and others come back because of the ancillary benefits of the status when we otherwise would have gone elsewhere, that can only be a good thing for their business.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by SHT88T
If we never step foot on another BA plane, what did it cost them to have me as a Gold card holder for an extra year? Nothing.

If I and others come back because of the ancillary benefits of the status when we otherwise would have gone elsewhere, that can only be a good thing for their business.
Yes! Exactly. This is, to me, the essence of the argument for BA to extend status and move on.
u01sss3 likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; May 20, 2020 at 1:31 am Reason: Repair quotation frame

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.