Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LTN Phobia
WikiPost currently includes info on China inc Hong Kong, Singapore and Italy. As and when new/updated information becomes available, we would welcome your input in updating it.
Information resources (e.g. links of entry restrictions/quarantine requirements) are provided at the bottom of Wiki.

29 Feb 2020: List of routes with cancellations from 13 March to 28 March: PKX, PVG, HKG, SIN, LIN, ICN, VRN, BGY, BLQ, TRN, VCE.
(
In the case of PKX and PVG there are no services, for the other locations it's up to 50% of services.)

BA Book with Confidence Policy
BA have instigated a policy of bookings made on or after 3 March 2020 with zero change fees. Initially this policy will expire end of 31 16 March 2020. Details can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ce-policy.html
Note.. despite the official start date of 3 March for this policy, at least one FT-er has advised that a booking on 2 March also attracted zero change fees.
BA has now expanded the book with confidence policy to expire 31 March 2020. Starting date of 3 March 2020 is unchanged.
China inc HKG
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Italy
BA has issued a Customer Guideline Update 1 for travel to the north of Italy, defined as:
LIN/MXP – Milan
TRN – Turin
BLQ – Bologna
VCE – Venice
BGY – Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by 24 February can be changed. If they are dated for original travel on 25 February – 02 March 2020, they can now be moved to 25 February – 31 March 2020. Alternatively changed to ZRH or GVA (note some of these services will be running very full at this time of the year). Refunds not allowed, redemptions are in scope for change.
Update: Travelling 29 Feb to 15 March can now change date of travel and postpone to up to the 3 Apr or change airport to Geneva or Zurich. Rredemptions included but refunds still not included

Further details:
Key Message
The following guidelines have been published to assist any customer who may wish to change their travel date for Northern Italy.
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, IB, AY or AA flight is still OPERATING

Rebook onto: British Airways or AJB

Airports affected - To/From
LIN/MXP – Milan
TRN – Turin
BLQ – Bologna
VCE – Venice
BGY – Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by: 24 February 2020
Ticket travel dates: 25 February – 02 March 2020
New travel dates: 25 February – 31 March 2020

Rebooking Allowance: Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin

Change of gateway: Rebook onto a British Airways operated service to/from ZRH (Zurich) or GVA (Geneva) and London (any airport) into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin. Must advise the customer that any consequential cost to travel between the original and the new Swiss gateway, e.g. surface transport, hotels, etc. are at their expense. Add a remark into the booking stating that you have advised this. Visas may also need to be checked to travel into Switzerland.

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes: Yes – as above
Refunds Allowed: No
Redemptions included: Yes
Available for Trade: Yes

Important Information
One involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options
Includes any connecting BA/Joint Business services on the same ticket
For customers on cancelled flights, please follow the standard customer guidelines >
· Adherence to commercial policies/standard customer guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Singapore
BA11 has been cancelled on March 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 25, and corresponding returns on BA12 (the next day) have been cancelled.

Information Resources
Travel restrictions by country
IATA's central list of restrictions relating to Covid-19 is here:
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Australian government site for visit/transit restrictions for various countries after visiting certain countries (not just for Australians, as it lists countries visited/transited etc.). It includes information that is missing from IATA list too.
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

11 March 2020:
For people who are based in the US, the US CDC travel warning for Schengen zone has been updated to Level 3 "Avoid nonessential travel".
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...navirus-europe

In addition, US Department of State have updated the global travel advisory to Level 3 "Reconsider Travel.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

This may affect your travel insurance cover (or enable you to claim back the cost of cancellation).

Print Wikipost

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No you're good, you've done all the right things, keep that screenshot safe but it should be OK anyway. It would not surprise me if you see nothing by Monday or even middle of next week. You've got nothing to worry about now. What you may notice is if you refresh the cache on your App, or in the list of flights in My Executive Club is a new booking entry for your destination but with a mysterious date way in the future: this is good news! It means someone has processed the cancellation component.

Next stage (eventually) would be an email with an e-voucher. This will look like a BA ticket number, it always begins 125. Then whenever you make a new booking you can deploy it in BA.com (you can see the box if you start to do a dummy booking). If the new flight is less than the amount of the e-voucher, then after the booking is made you get a new email with a new voucher number with the reduced amount still pending for the subsequent booking.
I've had a look at MMB there's no new booking entry :/, sorrry for the double posting in the other thread aswell - but cause i booked it through BA it's still a BA codeshare flight correct? I didn't pay any money to Qatar.

I'll still keep an eye if anything changes - and thankyou for your help also
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

At the start of April I had been due to fly LHR-EZE (Argentina). What is my step about re-booking, or getting the money back from BA for this? This is a real mess as I have a lot of work to do now to cancel things booked.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Curious if anyone has had any flexibility on ex-EU bookings and having to do the back to back given the circumstances? Just at Heathrow and I'll fly it if I have to. Had little sympathy from staff here. But frustrating as the only reason this ticket was booked from ex-EU is because I am actually meant to be there on business and have had it all cancelled.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club
Trying to avoid calling BA (have tried tweeting, but I think they have a huge backlog as you can imagine) but I am due to pay the balance on a holiday to Italy on the 11th April by tomorrow. For obvious reasons I don't want to pay any more and I fear if I take the voucher I may only get a partial refund (I read only the flights are refundable at this point) but if I wait a few more days it seems inevitable that BA will cancel the flights and so I will get a full refund.

I read elsewhere on FlyerTalk that BA were allowing people until 3 weeks before departure to pay, but do I need to request that? I was given an extension over the phone last week until tomorrow. Hopefully someone on the twitter team will reply in time, but if anyone has any knowledge of the current rules that would be really helpful.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
(heavily edited from my original post - I had not yet found the updated book with confidence policy when I posted).

I have a booking LGW (London) to SVQ (Seville) from Monday to Wednesday next week (23-25 March). The ticket was purchased as a cheap ET ticket in the ex-LGW sale a few months ago and POUG'd to CE shortly afterwards. That, as usual, means it is now entirely inflexible in theory but is now covered by the recently (12 hours ago) changed "book with confidence" policy). Online changing isn't working so I may give BA a call, or resort to the "voucher" option. I'd prefer to change, so I think I'll have to phone.

If flights are rebooked, are POUGs preserved so the booking is in the higher class of travel? (I have my priorities! )

Last edited by flatlander; Mar 14, 2020 at 7:31 am Reason: my question entirely changed by update to policy
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by watsonville
At the start of April I had been due to fly LHR-EZE (Argentina). What is my step about re-booking, or getting the money back from BA for this? This is a real mess as I have a lot of work to do now to cancel things booked.
The easiest thing to do is to go through the e-voucher process described upthread and in the Buying with Confidence. But it's not the only option.

If you have a firm date in mind then you can start to research options. Assuming your flights have not been cancelled then you can rebook within the Customer Guideline for Argentina (upthread) for travel on or before 1 August, paying the fare difference if any. If the flight is cancelled then you can move to a longer timeframe without a fare difference
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Someone with an e-voucher can use it on other people's travels yes. You can only use one e-voucher per booking online (I don't know if the call centres can use more), but in a way e-vouchers are great for lots of small trips since you can take off a chunk money with every booking, the e-voucher can then be re-used, with the lower amount, for booking2, booking3 etc. For the final booking, when you only have a small amount left on the e-voucher, the online booking tool first deducts the small amount of the voucher off the booking, and then asks in the usual way for a credit card to clear down the amount still left. The only catch - on this final booking - is that if you have to make changes the multiple payment process makes it near impossible to do online (and tricky with call centres). So don't count on a POUG on that final booking working cleanly. But the full e-voucher bookings will be fine.

They don't have to fly in the next 12 months - they do need to book in the next 12 months, or use it on someone else's booking. The person travelling will need the name of the person to whom the voucher was issued.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_gb
Thanks for the detailed response. I had thought that they just needed to book within 12 months . However BA'S FAQ says :-

Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ith-confidence)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sbonathan
I read elsewhere on FlyerTalk that BA were allowing people until 3 weeks before departure to pay, but do I need to request that? I was given an extension over the phone last week until tomorrow. Hopefully someone on the twitter team will reply in time, but if anyone has any knowledge of the current rules that would be really helpful.
There were multiple reports of the 3 week rule, and on that basis you can probably regard it as real. If you are definitely not going to travel you could consider the eVoucher option, if you suspect at least one flight will be cancelled then you best leave decisions to the last moment, however many of the cancellations on shorthaul at least have been in the 2-3 week area, which isn't helpful.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
If flights are rebooked, are POUGs preserved so the booking is in the higher class of travel? (I have my priorities! )
If you have a specific date in mind, then sometime next week call up. Unofficially they may preserve the POUG but officially it gets removed without refund. Consequently my suggestion would be to look at the online eVoucher process when you are around 21 March, and call if you really prefer to change. Personally I think the eVoucher is the best way to preserve the amount you spent, since that should include the POUG cost.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greyt
Thanks for the detailed response. I had thought that they just needed to book within 12 months . However BA'S FAQ says :-

Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ith-confidence)
I can't really clarify that, other than that eVouchers generally have an expiry date for redemption, but you can book beyond that expiry date. I think the key word is "redeemed" rather than "taken" but I'm only seeing what you are seeing.

Can anyone with Contact Centre connections clarify?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:52 am

Unofficially they may preserve the POUG but officially it gets removed without refund.
Even on a booking being changed by force majeure? Harsh....

Consequently my suggestion would be to look at the online eVoucher process when you are around 21 March, and call if you really prefer to change. Personally I think the eVoucher is the best way to preserve the amount you spent, since that should include the POUG cost.
Yes, that's quite a good point. The base ticket was Ł54 and the POUG was Ł198 so getting only the base fare back is not the deal I am looking for I will E-voucher this (and save the callcenter some effort).

Thanks very much for the advice and information.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
Flatlander,

I have the exact same reservation to SVQ for a week later than you.

Can you let us know what you do and how it works out?

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Purdey
Flatlander,

I have the exact same reservation to SVQ for a week later than you.

Can you let us know what you do and how it works out?

Thanks.
Will do. I have submitted an e-voucher application so I hope to have a result (good or bad) in a few days.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
and flights to DXB will be cancelled soon as well - no entry visas issued from March 17th:

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/trav...impact-deepens
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Cool Reward Flight Query

Apologies if this has been covered already but too many messages to search through. I made a return reward flight booking almost a year ago to fly this coming week LHR-SCL with the return LIM-LGW in a few weeks' time. Due to the flight restrictions in Peru (and likely the coming ones in Chile) we want to postpone our trip to later in the year (Oct/Nov) or early next year. Both flights we booked in Club World. The BA reward flight finder however shows little to no availability in Club World for these months. Does anyone have experience of 1. how easy it would be to change our flights and 2. whether BA are likely to open more reward seats for us in Club World given the unprecedented nature of the current disruption due to coronavirus? I have tried calling BA several times but the call always drops. For what it's worth I'm BA Silver if that makes any difference. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.