Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LTN Phobia
WikiPost currently includes info on China inc Hong Kong, Singapore and Italy. As and when new/updated information becomes available, we would welcome your input in updating it.
Information resources (e.g. links of entry restrictions/quarantine requirements) are provided at the bottom of Wiki.

29 Feb 2020: List of routes with cancellations from 13 March to 28 March: PKX, PVG, HKG, SIN, LIN, ICN, VRN, BGY, BLQ, TRN, VCE.
(
In the case of PKX and PVG there are no services, for the other locations it's up to 50% of services.)

BA Book with Confidence Policy
BA have instigated a policy of bookings made on or after 3 March 2020 with zero change fees. Initially this policy will expire end of 31 16 March 2020. Details can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ce-policy.html
Note.. despite the official start date of 3 March for this policy, at least one FT-er has advised that a booking on 2 March also attracted zero change fees.
BA has now expanded the book with confidence policy to expire 31 March 2020. Starting date of 3 March 2020 is unchanged.
China inc HKG
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Italy
BA has issued a Customer Guideline Update 1 for travel to the north of Italy, defined as:
LIN/MXP – Milan
TRN – Turin
BLQ – Bologna
VCE – Venice
BGY – Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by 24 February can be changed. If they are dated for original travel on 25 February – 02 March 2020, they can now be moved to 25 February – 31 March 2020. Alternatively changed to ZRH or GVA (note some of these services will be running very full at this time of the year). Refunds not allowed, redemptions are in scope for change.
Update: Travelling 29 Feb to 15 March can now change date of travel and postpone to up to the 3 Apr or change airport to Geneva or Zurich. Rredemptions included but refunds still not included

Further details:
Key Message
The following guidelines have been published to assist any customer who may wish to change their travel date for Northern Italy.
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, IB, AY or AA flight is still OPERATING

Rebook onto: British Airways or AJB

Airports affected - To/From
LIN/MXP – Milan
TRN – Turin
BLQ – Bologna
VCE – Venice
BGY – Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by: 24 February 2020
Ticket travel dates: 25 February – 02 March 2020
New travel dates: 25 February – 31 March 2020

Rebooking Allowance: Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin

Change of gateway: Rebook onto a British Airways operated service to/from ZRH (Zurich) or GVA (Geneva) and London (any airport) into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin. Must advise the customer that any consequential cost to travel between the original and the new Swiss gateway, e.g. surface transport, hotels, etc. are at their expense. Add a remark into the booking stating that you have advised this. Visas may also need to be checked to travel into Switzerland.

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes: Yes – as above
Refunds Allowed: No
Redemptions included: Yes
Available for Trade: Yes

Important Information
One involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options
Includes any connecting BA/Joint Business services on the same ticket
For customers on cancelled flights, please follow the standard customer guidelines >
· Adherence to commercial policies/standard customer guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Singapore
BA11 has been cancelled on March 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 25, and corresponding returns on BA12 (the next day) have been cancelled.

Information Resources
Travel restrictions by country
IATA's central list of restrictions relating to Covid-19 is here:
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Australian government site for visit/transit restrictions for various countries after visiting certain countries (not just for Australians, as it lists countries visited/transited etc.). It includes information that is missing from IATA list too.
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

11 March 2020:
For people who are based in the US, the US CDC travel warning for Schengen zone has been updated to Level 3 "Avoid nonessential travel".
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...navirus-europe

In addition, US Department of State have updated the global travel advisory to Level 3 "Reconsider Travel.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

This may affect your travel insurance cover (or enable you to claim back the cost of cancellation).

Print Wikipost

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: BA bronze, Emirates blue
Originally Posted by thatsthebadger
Be aware that BA Holidays are vouchering the flight only. Hotels and car hire are lost. We just lost Ł1150.
Oh dear, I willl report back on what happens to me. I know it is ultimately down to us to check t&c’s but perhaps the message we’ve received could warn of those possible penalties. It’s only the effort to add a few more words. Naughty of them - naive of me.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold HH Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks, well to go back to the initial question, BA in T5 won't be able to assist this. You could use the online form but the risk is that the e-voucher won't be issued. So your options appear to be to travel as planned (since as I understand it, entry isn't banned) or call BA Holidays and see if (for example) they can find an alternative location instead, or waive the 48 hour rule.
Thanks all, we have decided to go and enjoy ourselves. As noted we would lose the hotel portion of the 12 day trip and the self monitoring via app is no big deal.
Looks like a quiet F cabin on BA11 awaits us tonight!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by alemilci
But wanted to know if you also cancelled the booking, as I keep seeing it in my account as normal.
We have requested a voucher yesterday for our flight to GIG today, and it’s still showing up in manage my booking. The problem is that we don’t have an email or anything confirming our voucher request, so I’m concerned that I don’t have any proof that we did it. The flight leaves in two hours so check in closes in one hour. I’ve been on hold with BA for over an hour now trying to get some clarity on the situation.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
AY6 cancellation on BA (125) ticket

I’m booked to fly CDG-LHR-HEL-JFK-...on 17th March, with a UK passport I can’t do that. My return AY6 JFK-HEL sector on 24th March on the same ticket is stated as cancelled on the Covid update page of the Finnair site but BA still show the flight as valid. My TA say they can’t refund it and I can’t get through on the BA Gold line.
Any helpful suggestions? Currently I’m on my positioning part of the trip in a very quiet Paris!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Pgoodall
As noted we would lose the hotel portion of the 12 day trip and the self monitoring via app is no big deal.
It might be worth clarifying what they mean by "self-monitoring". The official page mentions you "may obtain permission to go to certain places" - which appears to me that you need to seek permission to move around.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumoni...index_more.php

For travelers from ongoing local transmission areas, recommended to implement control for observation (meaning supervision without quarantine with permission to transit upon the condition that they follow the stipulations under the law) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion. They may obtain permission to go to certain places where deemed necessary and a surveillance officer will closely monitor symptoms.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am on a BA holiday booking on April 7 to BNA with my father and back from IAH 8 days later. We snagged a great F fare (Ł4k with car for us both).

We would like to still do this trip and I understand the rules of the voucher, but I can’t get the same booked on any other dates without a Ł1500 additional cost. If BA decide (or forced) to cancel our flights before we go, do I just get the cash or can I choose any other date with availability, thus avoiding paying the higher price?

On the other hand, as this is still 3 weeks away, if things did unexpectedly improve, we would still be happy to take the trip in April. Our trip includes Nashville and New Orleans and neither of these areas seem too bad at this time
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by PlatAAagain
It has changed frequently, but currently AA is allowing a full refund on most AA flights to Europe (including the UK) scheduled through 31 May. My understanding is that this includes BA codeshares.

Doesn’t help me yet, I’m scheduled for SFO-LHR-LIN on 6 Jun. Fingers crossed that they push the policy out a couple more weeks fairly soon, or cancel/reschedule one of my flights.

More here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
Thanks for the info. My reading of that page is that for flights to/from Europe (excl Italy) you can change or cancel/rebook but no refund is offered - yet. Italian flights are offered a full refund.
PlatAAagain likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
We are due to fly to Koh Samui tonight via Singapore booked through BA Holidays. Voucher terms state it must be claimed 48 hours before departure but the Thai Govt only added the UK to their watch list last night making us change our mind on the trip.
we have both been on hold for over an hour and considering driving to LHR to try and sort out. We are only 30 mins drive but as it’s a BA Holiday does anyone know if ticketing at LHR can actually help?
Thanks all, we have decided to go and enjoy ourselves. As noted we would lose the hotel portion of the 12 day trip and the self monitoring via app is no big deal.
Can you update COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand after arrival please? Many thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:10 am

Voucher - “already started journey”

Hello. Yesterday at 5pm I spoke with the contact centre to change my ticket (flight ZRH-LCY) to depart today instead of tomorrow. At the time he said he wasn’t able to offer any additional flexibility and one option he recommended was booking a separate ticket and then applying for the voucher.

I have done this, as I was keen to get home. Having checked the t&cs, I’m a bit confused by
point 10 (screenshot).

Does journey mean the actual flight in question, or the entire journey/ticket? The flight I am hoping to have the voucher issued for is the return leg of a LON-ZRH round trip ticket.

Thanks!

Last edited by Voda_boy; Mar 14, 2020 at 5:17 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:11 am
Suspended

As well as the voucher policy now anyone travelling on an Avios booking between now and end of May can make any amendments free if charge
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kingcole974
We would like to still do this trip and I understand the rules of the voucher, but I can’t get the same booked on any other dates without a Ł1500 additional cost. If BA decide (or forced) to cancel our flights before we go, do I just get the cash or can I choose any other date with availability, thus avoiding paying the higher price?
If BA cancel a flight AND the replacement service is more than 12 hours different then you get a full cash refund of everything. That is in the general terms and conditions - it may be that you can argue that (e.g.) an 8 hour change is actually a Significant Change as per the Regulation, assuming you are on an Inclusive Package. Now there are shades of grey here and a lot of moving parts, so we better get nearer to departure. But one way to see it is that Ł1500 is the worst case scenario, I hope travel insurance may pick that up. It may be better than that depending on exactly what happens next.

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
We have requested a voucher yesterday for our flight to GIG today, and it’s still showing up in manage my booking. The problem is that we don’t have an email or anything confirming our voucher request, so I’m concerned that I don’t have any proof that we did it. The flight leaves in two hours so check in closes in one hour. I’ve been on hold with BA for over an hour now trying to get some clarity on the situation.
further to my previous message, I just got a notification from BA to check the FCO website for a booking reference I didn't recognise. When I went to look at the booking ref it was for the Croatia flights which were "in the process of being cancelled and refunded". So, it seems that BA are creating a duplicate booking for the Voucher and leaving the original PNR as is (and I presume it will eventually go away)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Hello. Yesterday at 5pm I spoke with the contact centre to change my ticket (flight ZRH-LCY) to depart today instead of tomorrow. At the time he said he wasn’t able to offer any additional flexibility and one option he recommended was booking a separate ticket and then applying for the voucher.
You can cancel the entire booking before departure and (eventually) get an e-voucher valid a year. If you cancel after check-in closes for the first flight in the booking then you are down to the underlying cancellation fees of the booking OR any policy in place (none for Switzerland at the moment). So what he was saying was "jack in your existing booking, buy a new ticket, you'll get a voucher back eventually for any third booking you make in the next year". What you can't do is mix and match once you have started the trip, defined as check-in closing.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
further to my previous message, I just got a notification from BA to check the FCO website for a booking reference I didn't recognise. When I went to look at the booking ref it was for the Croatia flights which were "in the process of being cancelled and refunded". So, it seems that BA are creating a duplicate booking for the Voucher and leaving the original PNR as is (and I presume it will eventually go away)
yes we have to make a dummy booking held in a GK segment for vouchers to be issued
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:20 am
Original Poster

As a request - there are loads of questions here from people going to particular places but relatively few reports of actual experiences going to the USA, Thailand, Norway, getting e-vouchers announcements made at gates before boarding and so on - so it would be good to hear "this is what happened to me". Speaking for myself, I'm largely going by what I've read, whereas generally I try to give advice on what I have experienced.
internetplumber and MNMAA like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.