Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LTN Phobia
WikiPost currently includes info on China inc Hong Kong, Singapore and Italy. As and when new/updated information becomes available, we would welcome your input in updating it.
Information resources (e.g. links of entry restrictions/quarantine requirements) are provided at the bottom of Wiki.

29 Feb 2020: List of routes with cancellations from 13 March to 28 March: PKX, PVG, HKG, SIN, LIN, ICN, VRN, BGY, BLQ, TRN, VCE.
(
In the case of PKX and PVG there are no services, for the other locations it's up to 50% of services.)

BA Book with Confidence Policy
BA have instigated a policy of bookings made on or after 3 March 2020 with zero change fees. Initially this policy will expire end of 31 16 March 2020. Details can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ce-policy.html
Note.. despite the official start date of 3 March for this policy, at least one FT-er has advised that a booking on 2 March also attracted zero change fees.
BA has now expanded the book with confidence policy to expire 31 March 2020. Starting date of 3 March 2020 is unchanged.
China inc HKG
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Italy
BA has issued a Customer Guideline Update 1 for travel to the north of Italy, defined as:
LIN/MXP Milan
TRN Turin
BLQ Bologna
VCE Venice
BGY Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by 24 February can be changed. If they are dated for original travel on 25 February 02 March 2020, they can now be moved to 25 February 31 March 2020. Alternatively changed to ZRH or GVA (note some of these services will be running very full at this time of the year). Refunds not allowed, redemptions are in scope for change.
Update: Travelling 29 Feb to 15 March can now change date of travel and postpone to up to the 3 Apr or change airport to Geneva or Zurich. Rredemptions included but refunds still not included

Further details:
Key Message
The following guidelines have been published to assist any customer who may wish to change their travel date for Northern Italy.
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, IB, AY or AA flight is still OPERATING

Rebook onto: British Airways or AJB

Airports affected - To/From
LIN/MXP Milan
TRN Turin
BLQ Bologna
VCE Venice
BGY Bergamo
VRN - Verona

Tickets issued by: 24 February 2020
Ticket travel dates: 25 February 02 March 2020
New travel dates: 25 February 31 March 2020

Rebooking Allowance: Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin

Change of gateway: Rebook onto a British Airways operated service to/from ZRH (Zurich) or GVA (Geneva) and London (any airport) into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin. Must advise the customer that any consequential cost to travel between the original and the new Swiss gateway, e.g. surface transport, hotels, etc. are at their expense. Add a remark into the booking stating that you have advised this. Visas may also need to be checked to travel into Switzerland.

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes: Yes as above
Refunds Allowed: No
Redemptions included: Yes
Available for Trade: Yes

Important Information
One involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options
Includes any connecting BA/Joint Business services on the same ticket
For customers on cancelled flights, please follow the standard customer guidelines >
Adherence to commercial policies/standard customer guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Singapore
BA11 has been cancelled on March 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 25, and corresponding returns on BA12 (the next day) have been cancelled.

Information Resources
Travel restrictions by country
IATA's central list of restrictions relating to Covid-19 is here:
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Australian government site for visit/transit restrictions for various countries after visiting certain countries (not just for Australians, as it lists countries visited/transited etc.). It includes information that is missing from IATA list too.
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

11 March 2020:
For people who are based in the US, the US CDC travel warning for Schengen zone has been updated to Level 3 "Avoid nonessential travel".
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...navirus-europe

In addition, US Department of State have updated the global travel advisory to Level 3 "Reconsider Travel.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

This may affect your travel insurance cover (or enable you to claim back the cost of cancellation).

Print Wikipost

Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]

Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have now advised against all but essential travel to Lombardy and the related areas in Emilia Romagna, Marche, Piemonte and Veneto (Venice).

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

This will almost certainly lead to a full cancellation of services and will be helpful for those with travel insurance. Indeed travel insurance will typically not be valid for those who continue to travel the areas
Does that advice cover the period beyond 3 April 2020?

Palmer
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Palmer
Does that advice cover the period beyond 3 April 2020?
Very interesting question. The FCO doesn't work like airlines (probably just as well!) so essentially this is their advice and will remain their advice until the situation changes. Previously the process for removing ABEs (all but essential) was more stringent than putting them in place, so Sharm was ABE for 4 years, and Tunisia was out for 2 years. Anyway I'd expect BA to stick to the April date, cancel services and refund where requested, since they can't run services until April as a minimum - and then as we get nearer there will be further clarification.
Palmer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club

I see that all tomorrow's flights from Venice have been cancelled and only one flight from Milan (to London City) appears to remain.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a new but fairly minor update on Italy travel, Update 6, which now allows rebooking to any Italy airport as well as Zurich and Geneva, for those booked on operating or cancelled flights to/from LIN, MXP, BGY or VCE. This is an alternative to refunds and rebooking. This covers flights to and including 4 April 2020. See post 211 for the full text of Update 5, this extra gateway option goes as an addition for those 4 airports.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Over the last few days I have been considering booking some cheap flights with BA and maximising the effects of COVID-19. However, will things moving so quickly and Northern Italy now off bounds, am I being foolish?

Should I wait until BA change their policy further to allow more flexibility?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Over the last few days I have been considering booking some cheap flights with BA and maximising the effects of COVID-19. However, will things moving so quickly and Northern Italy now off bounds, am I being foolish?

problem is if you are looking at taking advantage of cheap price and using the free change policy don't forget it's just the change fee that's waived you'll have to pay the price difference so no real benefit unless you whether gonna do a few quick tp runs
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BAeuro

Things aren't moving that quickly, Italy was in trouble for weeks before this decision, and the UK looks quite stable for the moment with pretty much no restrictions at all actually, just advising against all but essential travel to the major hotspots China, Italy, Iran, S.Korea.

I would book it, because if FCO changes travel advice and BA cancels flights, BA would have to refund you anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Things aren't moving that quickly, Italy was in trouble for weeks before this decision, and the UK looks quite stable for the moment with pretty much no restrictions at all actually, just advising against all but essential travel to the major hotspots China, Italy, Iran, S.Korea.

I would book it, because if FCO changes travel advice and BA cancels flights, BA would have to refund you anyway.
Do they cancel flights if planes just don't fill? Our flight is only about 1/3 full from SAN to LHR in early April. I am guessing not too many more people will buy tickets to travel as our area has a lot of travel restrictions placed by companies for "non-necessary travel." Now I am worried we won't be able to go...

Last edited by kath00; Mar 8, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by kath00
Do they cancel flights if planes just don't fill? Our flight is only about 1/3 full from SAN to LHR in early April. I am guessing not too many more people will buy tickets to travel as our area has a lot of travel restrictions placed by companies for "non-necessary travel." Now I am worried we won't be able to go...
The situation in the USA could evolve quickly.

But airlines are in a terrible situation.
BA, like most airlines, have too many planes and staff unless they can force unpaid leave. Loads are low throughout the network. Marginal costs of flying a low-loaded ac are not that huge and maintaining a regular routing (with possible frequency downgrade) might be important. Fuel costs have become much lower and other marginal costs are not that high.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yes (BA cut frequencies to here)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Many cancellations announced within Europe but obviously, as MMB is out of service nobody can check their bookings for a while. I expect quite a bit of chaos in coming weeks, and of course, long haul cancellations may follow shortly too...

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-06mar20/
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Worst thing that will happen is they merge flights; so unless the govt doesn't allow you to; I am sure you will find a way there!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Watch this space!
AdBoy and cbagent like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I flew to JFK yesterday on a 747, upstairs. The cabin was less than half full. T5 appeared to be less than half the normal load of travelers. But the flight was fine with a great crew. None wearing masks.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Watch this space!
Oh no...

Will there be any update post 28th March (Summer Timetable)?

Last edited by BAeuro; Mar 9, 2020 at 5:39 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.