Wiki Posts
Search

New years eve travel question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
New years eve travel question

Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice....

Planning to visit family near Seattle over Christmas, and pondering taking a punt and booking WT for the return on New Year's Eve. A few years ago when children were tiny I elected to travel on NYE on the basis that we would be stuck in with them anyway and I might just as well drink champagne onboard a flight as anywhere else. As it turned out we were the only ones in the whole Upper Deck of CW, the plane was like a ghost ship. And the air hostess said that the people in Econ had spread out to have a whole row each to stretch out on.

So I am considering doing the same thing this NYE but not paying for CW this time in the hope that there will be loads of empty seats to stretch out on. . I will be gold by then so will get the other perks from status so really the benefit of CW is laying flat, other than the champagne! The economy flights are astoundingly cheap- £137 versus £910 for club, although PE is also pretty cheap at £332..... My concern with PE is that the solid nature of the arm rests might mean that there is no way to stretch out and therefore WT might actually prove more comfortable. But I don't know if that flight a few years ago was an anomaly.

Has anyone flown long haul overnight on NYE that can offer any advice? Because we were on the upper deck I didn't actually see the rest of the plane on that occasion so this is entirely based on a comment from the air stewardess onboard.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:54 am

Don't know about anyone else, but I travelled on Xmas and NYE twice in the past and in both cases flights were rammed.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
Don't know about anyone else, but I travelled on Xmas and NYE twice in the past and in both cases flights were rammed.
Ah, maybe it was an anomaly then! Was that overnight/actually on the festive day in question, eg on Xmas day itself or New Years Eve night?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yup - I flew LHR-HKG in PE on 31/12/2018. Completely rammed! And absolutely no idea when 2018 became 2019 as zero fuss was made (not a complaint!).
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
BA normally reduce services around these holidays where there a flights with multiple frequencies and this can result in those flights operating having good loads. I wouldn't bank on any flights being almost empty over what is still a holiday period.
Business travel is clearly reduced over holiday time too, which can result in lighter J cabins, but these often encourage the regular holiday time J sales which fill the numbers more. And while J may be lighter around holiday time, Y and WT+ is often overbooked.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by jenecho
Ah, maybe it was an anomaly then! Was that overnight/actually on the festive day in question, eg on Xmas day itself or New Years Eve night?
Yeah. Flew on Xmas twice, from AUS and ORD - both full - and SCL on 31/12. First was 6/8, Club full, WT+ and WT I'd say 80%.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
My only NYE flight was completely rammed in all classes too. The best thing about it was that the pilot opened up the taps for takeoff on the stroke of midnight and we got to see all the fireworks going off in Bangkok.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Oh Dear. Probably good that I asked!

There are still 2 flights on NYE from SEA to LHR, but I assume that they would have to keep both to position the planes even if it was a low point in an otherwise high season
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Returned from ATL this NYE - don't know how busy it was down the back though. About five in First and the front CW cabin [789] was full.

As others said, no fuss was made about the changing of the year - entirely fine by me though.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
It can go either way. In my own experience (I usually fly back from holiday on almost always every year on New Year Eve) flights tends to be near full or full. BA is very good to fill the planes. Also the big factor which days is going to be New Years Eve. If its a Thursday or Friday then flights can be quieter then if its a Sunday or Monday as families are coming back from the winter holidays.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

When I booked NYE the last time I did think that there would be a good atmosphere onboard and was trying to work out when we would cross midnight as we moved through timezones etc but actually since it was so dead it was no atmosphere and nothing mentioned by the staff at all. This time CW is actually more expensive on NYE than the days before whereas WT and WT+ are cheaper. I wonder if BA think people will think (like me) that NYE calls for champagne!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: Confirmed
From 2013-2020 I have flown nearly every New Year’s Eve on a longhaul with many carriers. All flights were heavily loaded, even in J.

That is still a small data set tho.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krisz
It can go either way. In my own experience (I usually fly back from holiday on almost always every year on New Year Eve) flights tends to be near full or full. BA is very good to fill the planes. Also the big factor which days is going to be New Years Eve. If its a Thursday or Friday then flights can be quieter then if its a Sunday or Monday as families are coming back from the winter holidays.
Hmm looks like it is a Thursday this year so Bank Hol on the Friday. so people have the Friday and Saturday nights available too to get back for school/work.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your data points. I don't think I will risk it with econ then, will either do PE on NYE or CW the day before.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes NYE is a Thursday this year.

I think your empty plane was an aberation TBH and the people in economy were lucky to have an empty cabin. It's certainly not something to plan on.!

Yes airlines will reduce capacity for known dates of low travel demand and if they do will either do it as soon as they release flights or give a good deal of notice of a cancellation and move people to other flights. Of course it depends on passenger numbers on the ex LHR flight as well as those flying to the UK plus what cargo BA is also shifting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.