Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Same Day Change at GLA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Refused Same Day Change at GLA

I have a return from LGW to GLA today. I wanted to change the return flight so it became a B2B with my outbound. The Gold Line agent did her best but the system wouldn't allow the change because the 45 mins between the flight arriving and then departing was below the MCT.

Clearly there is something I don't understand here because if the MCT was enforced with a B2B then most European flights would be blocked from people doing B2Bs as often their turn=around times are 45 mins and likely under the MCT for that airport. Am I wrong in that assumption then or is there something funny about making a SDC over the original booking?

They also wanted to charge me Ł19 for the change. For some reason my ticket didn't allow SDC free of charge. It was unusual in that it had 6 flights on it (returns to AMS, EDI and GLA) all on the same ticket and she thought that might be the reason I couldn't SDC for free. If that is the case them I do 3 separate tickets next time.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suspect that most people travelling back on the next service are doing it on a separate booking and so MCT wouldn't apply
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
The Gold Line agent did her best but the system wouldn't allow the change because the 45 mins between the flight arriving and then departing was below the MCT. Clearly there is something I don't understand here because if the MCT was enforced with a B2B then most European flights would be blocked from people doing B2Bs as often their turn=around times are 45 mins and likely under the MCT for that airport. Am I wrong in that assumption then or is there something funny about making a SDC over the original booking?
In my experience B2Bs have been booked AAA - BBB - AAA, with a separate nested ticket of BBB - AAA - CCC - AAA - BBB. Therefore the minimum connection time doesn't apply as it's two separate tickets. By all means book separate tickets, but it may be more expensive, and you won't be protected if one of your flights is delayed which means you miss a flight on a separate ticket...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I did a short TP run in November last year - EDI-LHR-HEL-GLA-EDI. No experience of requesting SDC, but I seem to remember it cost less to do this itinerary on one booking than to put together something similar on separate bookings. Plus the reassurance that my connections were protected by being on the same booking.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Yes I guessed it was cheaper doing it that way.

As for MCT and B2B... yes, nested tickets! The only B2B I have done is at OTP and that was on separate tickets I now recall as it was a positioning flight to start a TP run from there so the out leg was on a separate ticket to the return.

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
MCT only applies to single bookings. Most people doing back-to-back will be doing so on separate bookings but pure TP runs might sometimes mean LGW-AMS-LGW somehow within MCT. I know they didn't allow it in the past, at least some of the time.

Plus fares are point-to-point returns. It sounds as though your six flights were actually two GLA-LON-AMS-LON-EDI returns or something similar, hence the change fee/fare difference. No idea why it was as low as Ł19.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The agent was correct. MCT at GLA is 1 hour for BA->BA.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .30 .45 .45 .45
OFFLINE .30 .45 .45 .45
** OR * ARE ALL
BA-BA DD 1.00
**-BA DD 1.00
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Your six flights meant this was not a simple point to point ticket so SDC / FDOC did not apply.

I have the same consideration on my krk lhr gla returns. If i book 'through' tickets with stopovers I do not get SDC on any segment
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all those replies.

I could have booked each return trip on separate tickets and although it may have cost a little more that is what I will do next time.

Great help... thanks again
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Flow Forward is enabled today, at least for Heathrow flights, ao you could ask in GLA about this
bisonrav likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Flow Forward is enabled today, at least for Heathrow flights, ao you could ask in GLA about this
At the risk of asking a stupid question but I have not been succesful in searching for the answer: What is Flow Forward?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by jfallesen
At the risk of asking a stupid question but I have not been succesful in searching for the answer: What is Flow Forward?
Badically it's when BA allows people to change on the day bookings (which wouldn't normally be permitted ) because of irrops. I think it also allows cancellations that wouldn't also normally be allowed

But it only happens when BA want it to happen so it can't be relied on
jfallesen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.