New Delhi check in questions

Old Feb 26, 20, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
New Delhi check in questions

Apologizing in advance but working on phone with extremely slow internet. So if these questions have already been answered I would appreciate a link to the appropriate thread.

We are flying the 03:20 Flight DEL-LHR.

1) How early do do the BA checkin counters open.
2) if all we have is carry on luggage can we skip the check in n and go directly to the gate assuming I am able to get out boarding passes on the BA app?
3) I'm a OW Emerald, which lounge should we use and do the provide a paper pass at checkin?
4) any suggestions as to how to pass the time since we will be dropped off at the airport around 9PM?

If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jon
Old Feb 26, 20, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold

If you go to Manage My Booking -> Check In -> other ways to check

This will show you what time BA Counters open.

Don't know how current the answers are from the last time the questions were asked :

BA142 DEL-LHR at 3am. OLCI, early access airside and AUPs?
Old Feb 26, 20, 4:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think they will let you into the building that early, formally I think it's 3 hours, and they may let you in at 4 hours, but 6 hours seems too long. There is a rather odd waiting room with basic seating in the next building if you arrive early. You are better off finding a hotel in the vicinity, having a good slow supper there then moving to the airport nearer midnight. MMB should also give lounge guidance, but if not it's Plaza or ITC lounges, both comfortable in terms of seating if they don't get too crowded, but 2 hours would be boring enough I would suggest.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 26, 20 at 7:19 am
Old Feb 26, 20, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG
Most recently (December 2019) BA donít allow mobile check in and you have to go to counter.

preference is to avoid the lounges at DEL as both are noisy and busy in the evenings. Itís often quieter and more spacious sitting at the gate.
Old Feb 26, 20, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
My latest experience with Delhi is that mobile BPs don't work and you need to get a paper BP. The BP gets stamped at various points during the process (security, passports?) and they can't put a stamp on a phone.
Old Feb 26, 20, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by MarJon View Post
Apologizing in advance but working on phone with extremely slow internet. So if these questions have already been answered I would appreciate a link to the appropriate thread.

2) if all we have is carry on luggage can we skip the check in n and go directly to the gate assuming I am able to get out boarding passes on the BA app?
3) I'm a OW Emerald, which lounge should we use and do the provide a paper pass at checkin?
4) any suggestions as to how to pass the time since we will be dropped off at the airport around 9PM?

If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jon
No way would I arrive more than two hours prior to departure. As others have pointed out you wont even be let in prior to three hours before the flight. The lounges are pretty poor and can get very very crowded. You will also need to get a proper paper boarding pass.

Unless I missed it, are you in First or CW? If so you will have priority security and immigration channels which work quite well. Simply being OWE you will not have access.

If you are still Bonvoy Platinum get a room at the excellent JW Marriott Dehli its about 5 minutes from the airport and is a terrific property where you can relax with a great spa and other amenities.
MarJon likes this.
Old Feb 26, 20, 7:16 am

For the record, archaic Indian aviation laws prevent usage of mobile boarding passes for international travel. This means a paper boarding pass will be issued to you even if you print out an online boarding pass.

Secondly, as others have mentioned, check-in opens 3 - 3.5 hours prior to departure. You may be allowed into the guiding earlier than that but the counters wonít be open. However be warned you wonít be allowed out of the building once you enter and you will be forced to perch on one of the seats until the check-in counter opens. There is a priority check-in counter within the BA check-in desks at DEL and it youíre flying J/F, there is fast-track immigration and security. Sadly the lounges are small and nothing to speak of. (Star Alliance members are the real winners here with AI, LH and SQ having their own lounges in addition to Emirates for their passengers)
MarJon likes this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Thank you all for the great information. Especially clarification of the mobile checkin. We are in CW so also glad for the fast track. Wish the lounges were better. Discussing with the Boss if maybe we should check into on of the Marriott properties before the flight. Thank you again!
Old Feb 27, 20, 4:37 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
I would spend the least amount of time possible in the airport. Even if you managed to print out a boarding pass they only accept the counter printed passes. The lounge is adequate, not great.

The fast track, is not always fast track - 2 occasions - first time took nearly an hour in the fast pass queue, second time was still around 20 mins.

As others have said there is not much seating in the check in area, and not many amenities either.
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD View Post
If you are still Bonvoy Platinum get a room at the excellent JW Marriott Dehli its about 5 minutes from the airport and is a terrific property where you can relax with a great spa and other amenities.
Great idea! Thanks. We booked the Aloft Hotel (a Marriott Property) at about 1/3 the cost of the JW.......
-Jon
stewaran likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, TAP Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz 5*
The app said check-in will open 4 hours prior to my flight 10 days ago, and indeed I checked in at T-4 hours. That was due to a long connection on separate tickets. As others have said, aim should be spend minimum time airside at DEL!
Old Mar 1, 20, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Great idea! Thanks. We booked the Aloft Hotel (a Marriott Property) at about 1/3 the cost of the JW.......
-Jon
aloft is OK; jw aero city is completely different level. If you want to save the room charge another option is just head to the JW when youíre done and enjoy a drink/chai/supper at the restaurant downstairs. You can just hang out there till 1am or so then head over!
Old Mar 1, 20, 3:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
-Jon
Thereís also the Holiday Inn Express inside the airport terminal building which makes it really easy to get some rest, have a shower then walk on over.
Old Mar 4, 20, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evacboy View Post
aloft is OK; jw aero city is completely different level. If you want to save the room charge another option is just head to the JW when youíre done and enjoy a drink/chai/supper at the restaurant downstairs. You can just hang out there till 1am or so then head over!
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Thereís also the Holiday Inn Express inside the airport terminal building which makes it really easy to get some rest, have a shower then walk on over.
Thanks Evacboy. aloft wasn't bad especially comparing it to some of the places we stayed in India and Nepal. We took the room because I had some work to do and we both needed showers.

Goldmad, we were told that you needed a Boarding pass to get into the Holiday Inn Express and BA would not issue one on the app until you actually presented yourself for checkin at the airport.
Old Mar 4, 20, 4:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but if you can, print out a copy of your itinerary and have it with you. You'll get asked for this (or a mobile version) just to get inside the airport. Supposedly BA does provide some sort of list at a specific entrance, but when I got there the guard said they didn't have it.
If you have an Internet connection, in theory you could show the BA app and that would suffice. Airport WiFi doesn't work outside though (and not too well inside either).
I didn't have a printout, and didn't have a local SIM card (had a driver who had WiFi in his car). Eventually I was able to get someone to accept the details of my itinerary from TripIt, which had downloaded to my phone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: