Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TP & Avios - IB ticketed flight on AA metal

Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

I normally just stick with BA for all TATLs, but my new CTA is coming up with better fares with different ticketing combinations. Thought I'd try something new.

I have an upcoming TATL on BA metal (A350!!), but ticketed by AA. I can see the flight in the BA app and select seats no issue. It also shows TP and avois earned, crediting to my BA account.
However, I now also have a TATL on AA metal ticketed by IB. I can't see it in the BA App (need to have BA metal in the booking), and also can't locate it using the AA website. I can see it on the Iberia website, but get an error going in for seat selection.
  • Firstly, I assume I can credit TP and Avois to my BA account flying AA on an IB ticket, but in reality how do I make that happen ? (My BA number does appear on the IB website - will these credit automatically after the flight ?)
  • Secondly, I assume I check in online using the IB website ? Do I present at IB or AA desks at T3 ?
  • Thirdly, how do I sort out seat selection ? (Given I get an error message of 'This Flight does not permit seat selection')
I actually thought I was proficient at these things, but have been caught out for exclusively travelling on BA metal and BA tickets for too long.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If your BAEC number is in the booking then you will receive Avios/TPs automatically.
You always check in with the operating airline.
If your AA flight is booked under AA flight number you need to ask IB for the AA booking reference and use that on aa.com to select seats.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
The connection between IB and AA systems is notoriously flaky. If you can get the AA PNR locator you might be able to select seats online, but don’t be surprised if you can’t and you have to call (try AA first).

If the flight is operated by AA, you check in with AA, and in any event there are no Iberia desks at LHR T3.

If your BAEC number is showing in the booking on IB site, it should credit but it’s not a given. For example, IB codeshares on BA metal never credit automatically, I’ve made many retrospective claims to get them added (usually very quick). Possible you’ll get an issue with IB codeshare on AA, or maybe it will be fine, all you can do is wait.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL
The above is correct, but there are cases where your BAEC number might not be carried through from reservation to reservation. I’d double check when you check in that it’s attached to the booking.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for speedy helpful advice. I should just stick to BA.

Follow up question on API. Do I enter that on the IB or AA websites (using AA PNR?).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by malkie
Thanks everyone for speedy helpful advice. I should just stick to BA.

Follow up question on API. Do I enter that on the IB or AA websites (using AA PNR?).
I would do it on AA's website.
Also, if your AA operated flight is booked as an AA flight make sure that your BAEC number is in the booking as FF numbers are often not transferred from Amadeus to Sabre (but if it is booked as an IB codeshare it most likely will transfer).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I will do all of the above as suggested. Thanks again all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.