BA27 cabin crew refused to wear masks

Old Feb 23, 20, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
BA27 cabin crew refused to wear masks

After boarding, I asked for the champagne to be brought with paper cover to protect from germs getting into it.
CC mentioned that they have masks on board, so I said I'd feel better if CC wear mask. CC came back a few moments later with the covered champagne but notified me that the assigned crew for my seat didn't want to wear mask. Meal would be served with covers on.

Cathay have been donning masks for weeks. Seeing regions in Europe under lockdown, it seems unreasonable for BA to stop flying to mainland China yet have no regards to personal hygiene.

Side note: boarding delayed due to dirty cabin. Found uses ear buds at my seat.
Old Feb 23, 20, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hessbo View Post
After boarding, I asked for the champagne to be brought with paper cover to protect from germs getting into it.
CC mentioned that they have masks on board, so I said I'd feel better if CC wear mask. CC came back a few moments later with the covered champagne but notified me that the assigned crew for my seat didn't want to wear mask. Meal would be served with covers on.

Cathay have been donning masks for weeks. Seeing regions in Europe under lockdown, it seems unreasonable for BA to stop flying to mainland China yet have no regards to personal hygiene.

I am led to believe that masks have little or no effect on the spread of viruses - if anything, this causes shortages in hospitals where they might be needed more. I'd prefer BA cabin crew to follow official advice from the medical profession rather than over-anxious passengers.
Old Feb 23, 20, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

There is some discussion in this thread as to the effectiveness of masks, it doesnít seem clear cut
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-aircraft.html
Edina likes this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
it seems unreasonable for BA to stop flying to mainland China yet have no regards to personal hygiene.
We best stick to a science led approach to this, otherwise we are right in the middle of personal perceptions / anxiety /pseudo science / old wives tales / witchcraft - that is what I would suggest is unreasonable. If the science was strongly pointing to the use of masks by cabin crew I am sure BA would be wanting to protect their staff and passengers by ordering their use forthwith. More likely, BA will just stop flying those sectors if this is deemed the relevant threat level.
SKT-DK, Stez, Stormbel and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
hessbo

As a doctor, I can tell you that no mask is effective against the Corona virus, it is too small and can easily penetrate any commercially available mask.

If having people wear masks while you fly makes you feel better then:

1. You can fly Cathay
2. You can wear a mask yourself whilst flying BA

In either circumstance, it is all about feeling better, not about better protection. That would involve hand washing, using detergent wipes to wipe off your personal space on the plane (head rest, arm rest, table, seat belt and buckle door handle to lavatory, etc).

All the best.
SK, Redhead, LondonElite and 64 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 20, 9:44 pm

did you wear a mask on board the aircraft ?
Old Feb 24, 20, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card

The last sentence of that post is the only part which warrants any kind of complaint.
Old Feb 24, 20, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sb1982 View Post
I am led to believe that masks have little or no effect on the spread of viruses - if anything, this causes shortages in hospitals where they might be needed more. I'd prefer BA cabin crew to follow official advice from the medical profession rather than over-anxious passengers.
You can't have it both ways. If you think that masks offer no protection to spread of the disease, why would they be needed by the medical profession?
And if they offer some protection, a confined quarter like a plane is a place where they would be badly needed.

I am surprised that BA does not have a policy for flights to/from badly-affected areas and that the decision is left to individual FAs. On a flight last week from Asia (not BA), two pax were coughing as well as a FA (very little common cold she said). One of them was not wearing a mask. Even if the efficacy of masks is disputed, risk-aversion would dictate to wear them in those cases. given the confined space

PS1: Assuming that you are talking about BA, mask supply is still plentiful in UK.
PS2: HK is asking anyone in contact with public for their work to wear a mask.
Old Feb 24, 20, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA MileagePlus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
You can't have it both ways. If you think that masks offer no protection to spread of the disease, why would they be needed by the medical profession?
And if they offer some protection, a confined quarter like a plane is a place where they would be badly needed.

I am surprised that BA does not have a policy for flights to/from badly-affected areas and that the decision is left to individual FAs. On a flight last week from Asia (not BA), two pax were coughing as well as a FA (very little common cold she said). One of them was not wearing a mask. Even if the efficacy of masks is disputed, risk-aversion would dictate to wear them in those cases. given the confined space

PS1: Assuming that you are talking about BA, mask supply is still plentiful in UK.
PS2: HK is asking anyone in contact with public for their work to wear a mask.
Masks are of no particular use with this virus (or other viruses), but they may be of use in other circumstances. If they're all being used unnecessarily by anxious people they can't then be used where needed.
Stez, Dolphin2, Jillista and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 20, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
CC mentioned that they have masks on board, so I said I'd feel better if CC wear mask.
this is the most astonishing thing I've ever heard!!
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Originally Posted by sb1982 View Post
I'm not an expert for masks. During travel I wear FFP3 type masks which I hear have some limited filtration capabilities. At work we wear surgical masks to prevent spreading germs in general.

I know some restaurants require their staff to wear spit protectors and that's what I would expect on a plane too. After all, during SARS an infected flight attendant infected half a business class cabin back in the days.

Note that the particular crew wore surgical type masks from disembarking all the way to the crew bus.
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP, Hertz Cirque Presidentielle
I'm not an expert for masks.
Yet you seem to think masks are a good solution to the issue and also demand others to use ones? Right, well, thankfullly e.g. a medical professional refuted the notion in this thread. If anything, I would be concerned about the cleanliness of airplane lavatories, as well as airport restrooms. And the same goes for the availability of paper or reusable towels, rather than blowers, in airport restrooms, taken how Covid-19 seems to be spread by human... well, dumplings. Honestly speaking there's too much reactions based on fear, rather than sound and justified health advices.
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
I presume the OP wore a mask himself, right?

Since if he is so concerned and believes it would protect him (contrary to most medical evidence) - he should be. Or is it just a rant at a specific cabin crew, despite BA and most airlines not having a mask policy. Iíve read Cathay have issues them, but itís only because crew wanted to feel protected, rather than for the benefit of passengers.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The crew did not refuse to wear masks as we have a choice if we wear them or not and we do not take instructions off customers.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata View Post
And the same goes for the availability of paper or reusable towels, rather than blowers, in airport restrooms,
Quite agree. Having paper towels would have been a better policy to contain the spread of many viruses. Observing people's behavior it seems strange that many people irrationally believe that a mask will protect them but stubbornly refuse to thoroughly wash their hands with soap and not to touch doorknobs and then their faces.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: