BA27 cabin crew refused to wear masks

Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by trueblu
My personal opinion: we will see massive changes in all sorts of behaviours over the coming 6 months due to COVID-19.

But these are best discussed in the dedicated thread on the China forum -- where all the evidence for and against masks is very much cited and presented...life does exist outside the BA forum.

Being a Brit, I do understand the whole British drink tea and carry on, which is great fun, most of the time. I'm not sure ridiculing posters falls into that category. Public Health England has been amazing in terms of active case finding, and I think there's a huge amount of expertise in the UK on how COVID-19 will play out....sadly, I'm not seeing that expertise being absorbed by most of my UK medical colleagues. I don't mean this as a dig, just an observation.

Be safe!

tb
i mean this in the nicest possible way, but a travel forum is not the place, all this thread will do is muddy the water and exacerbate the worried well.

Happy to discuss by DM and maybe how one as a HCP comments on such a topic in a thread such as this is something we should all reflect upon.

Safe travels all.

Last edited by navylad; Feb 25, 2020 at 11:16 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here in Argentina only the expat population - me excluded - seem to be getting their knickers in a twist about the lack of interest shown by the authorities to it all.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Here in Argentina only the expat population - me excluded - seem to be getting their knickers in a twist about the lack of interest shown by the authorities to it all.
I suppose the first question would be how many Chinese visitors you get down there.
We’re heading for the Dominican Republic on Friday, and not expecting to meet many there.

Now Windsor Castle etc. would be a different story!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by navylad
i mean this in the nicest possible way, but a travel forum is not the place, all this thread will do is Maddir the water and exacerbate the worried well.

Happy to discuss by DM and maybe how one as a HCP comments on such a topic in a thread such as this is something we should all reflect upon.

Safe travels all.
I also mean this in the nicest possible way: but the coronavirus-dedicated thread on the China forum is probably higher quality discussion on the issues than >95% places on the web, including medical forums...suggest checking it out for those genuinely interested and wish to contribute to better understanding of the issues and potential implications without fear-mongering etc. Agreed that this BA thread is NOT the place for general discussion on the issues.

Uncle T: I don't think you've got the memo that the risks from China are now negligible, given Hubei still in lockdown. Risks from pretty much most other countries are likely to be higher...keep safe!

tb
Coathanger and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I was on a flight from WAW - LHR the other week and there was a chap in club with an extremely tight-fitting surgical mask on, plus bright blue latex surgical gloves. He was the only one on the aircraft wearing any sort of 'protection'.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
exacerbate the worried well.
Entire thread summed up in that phrase
navylad likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I suppose the first question would be how many Chinese visitors you get down there.
We’re heading for the Dominican Republic on Friday, and not expecting to meet many there.

Now Windsor Castle etc. would be a different story!
This post seems to be implying two situations
1 Its only possible to catch the virus from a Chinese person
2 All Chinese spread the virus

Neither of which are true.
The majority of the spread of the virus in the UK was by a Brit returning from holiday.
I think it was an Italian that spread the virus in Italy after contracting it elsewhere.

Personally i don't think there is a big risk in the Dominican Republic, but this isn't related to the number of Chinese visitors.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bricksoft ... yes, fair comment. The rate of spread overtakes anything one might think, or mitigate risk for. Indeed, we have another Caribbean trip later this year to an hotel that gets a lot of Italian guests! I shall simply rely on basic hygiene and take my chances. As a ‘healthy’ 75-yo I doubt I’m going to die from this!

As an aside, we came home from South Africa just before Christmas and had picked up ‘something’. It took about 6 weeks to shake that off ... inconvenient and somewhat debilitating, with coughing almost h-24. But we’re still here! Who knows ... that virus may have generated some relevant antibodies!!
wrp96 and Pandra like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by trueblu
I also mean this in the nicest possible way: but the coronavirus-dedicated thread on the China forum is probably higher quality discussion on the issues than >95% places on the web, including medical forums...suggest checking it out for those genuinely interested and wish to contribute to better understanding of the issues and potential implications without fear-mongering etc. Agreed that this BA thread is NOT the place for general discussion on the issues.
FT probably needs an entire forum for this virus. There are countless threads across virtually all the airline and hotel forums. Get them all in one place, and leave the forums for what they are intended.
UKtravelbear and argonath like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
FT probably needs an entire forum for this virus. There are countless threads across virtually all the airline and hotel forums. Get them all in one place, and leave the forums for what they are intended.
I take your basic point, but different airlines/nationalities will have different perspectives I suspect.

Here on BAFT we try to keep calm and carry on!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I work for a large travel company, the number one advice we are being given is hygiene. Be hygenic, clean your hands, be mindful of what you touch etc etc

Common sense approaches to your personal hygiene will actually limit the spread virus.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191

As an aside, we came home from South Africa just before Christmas and had picked up ‘something’. It took about 6 weeks to shake that off ... inconvenient and somewhat debilitating, with coughing almost h-24. But we’re still here! Who knows ... that virus may have generated some relevant antibodies!!
I've had a similar affliction and I haven't been anywhere. I blame the hot weather and aircon....the missus blames my smoking habit.

My post yesterday regarding the coronavirus was sufficient enough for the Government here to start taking action. Today they have advised the locals to stop sharing the same bombilla when drinking mate. More chance of AR making a profit than that happening.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've had a similar affliction and I haven't been anywhere. I blame the hot weather and aircon....the missus blames my smoking habit.
As you know, we’re both smokers (in our 70s) but we had never experienced anything like that ‘thing’ we brought home from ZA. Over our lifetimes we’ve probably been exposed to the majority of things that are ‘going around’ ... and I suspect that our natural defences have been helped by not being hyper about anti-bac etc. We will find out, I’m sure, how well that’s worked out.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
I was on a flight from WAW - LHR the other week and there was a chap in club with an extremely tight-fitting surgical mask on, plus bright blue latex surgical gloves. He was the only one on the aircraft wearing any sort of 'protection'.
Lets hope he wasn’t going to a country that requires finger print based immigration
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I would suggest that you invest in a bottle of Hibiscrub. That definitely does help in the spread of disease, and if you are concerned about where you are sitting on a plane, a few wet wipes with Hibiscrub will sanitise the hard areas of your seat area like the arms and table which will give you much more protection than a mask which doctors have already said is of no help at all against Coronavirus.

Also it's important if you are flying around a lot to take extra care of your health. Most people who get Coronavirus are not killed by it and recover. It's those who already have a compromised immune system that are most at risk. Give your body a little extra time to recover from that long-haul flight, eat healthy, don't exhaust yourself.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Feb 26, 2020 at 11:41 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.