Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

the grass is not always greener on the other side...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the grass is not always greener on the other side...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Don't want to complain but you post what is basically a complaint!

There was a post in the last couple of weeks about a BA flight that had no catering.

It happens to every airline at some point in time. Go to any of the airline boards and you'll soon find a complaint.

Happened a couple of weeks ago on my LGW-AMS for example.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I don’t think you can infer much about BA from Lufthansa sometimes getting things badly wrong, or from say Singapore Airlines sometimes getting things very right.

In these situations there is generally an expectation and a reality. Generally expectation is derived from how much you paid / how much you were promised.

If BA continue to deliver consistently at or around expectations then they’ll be fine. Problem is maintaining the reality while keeping a lid on costs/efficiencies.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Don't want to complain but you post what is basically a complaint!
No, I beg to differ. My honest intention was not to complain. I just wanted to share my experience on another airline and to point out that no airline is perfect. I am not taking it any further.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Posting in the Lufthansa thread would have meant complaining. I did not want to complain. Neither did I want to seek an advice regarding compensation. I specifically started the topic here to point out that other airlines do not always do things right.
This is incorrect. You wanted to complain about other people complaining, and so you have.
orbitmic, passy777 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
No, I beg to differ. My honest intention was not to complain. I just wanted to share my experience on another airline and to point out that no airline is perfect. I am not taking it any further.
per the first line of your OP, your intention was to have a pop at those who you think ‘bash’ BA.
Crampedin13A and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
This has got to be one of the least helpful threads I've read on this forum for some while.
dodgeflyer, DYKWIA, lukew and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Definitely a complaint, albeit not about an airline but rather other posters. It uses a standard straw man argument in which those who complain about BA repeatedly must also be of the view that all other airlines are perfect. A ludicrous proposition but here we are.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:15 pm

Posting in the Lufthansa thread would have meant complaining. I did not want to complain. Neither did I want to seek an advice regarding compensation. I specifically started the topic here to point out that other airlines do not always do things right.
But you did - about others complaining!

Originally Posted by Mike P
This has got to be one of the Most helpful POINTLESS threads I've read on this forum for some while.
Sorry Mike - hope you didn't mind the slight amendment.
Crampedin13A, orbitmic and Mike P like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Because I understand that sometimes .... happens. It did not inconvenience me in any way. They delivered me to Kiev, which is what I paid them for. That is what matters to me. I am not advocating for others to adopt my approach. I just wanted to point out that other airlines can mess up too.

No, this flight did not make me not want to fly with LH again.
So basically you can fly most airlines without noting the difference then.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
A quick email to customer service, then a long wait (think weeks or more for a response) and you’ll get €100-200 (€200 seems to be for status customers) for the ongoing catering issues.

I get the admirable attitude of “sometimes stuff just happens”, but I think it’s silly not to get the cash back for no effort.

Lufthansa is tight, they wouldn’t give you cash if they didn’t think it was legally owed to you.. so the fact they’re giving it out here means you should totally take it.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
How is this relevant to the BA forum? There is a dedicated LH forum to discuss their service failings and OP may get advice on what he can do (or not) next.

Don't think it is sustainable that we have a thread for every service failure (or success) of other airlines.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Perhaps you could start a website called 'comparetheairline.com'
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It's up to the OP whether he wants to complain to LH, but I really don't understand the OP's point that LH delivered him to his destination and therefore he got what he paid for. If that's correct then there would not be a difference in classes with different fares paid. Good for him for being so accommodating, but I would complain if LH didn't proactively seek to compensate. The relevance to BA? Grass isn't always greener- agree wholeheartedly. But that doesn't mean that we cannot comment on BA deficiencies. I would rate LH short haul business on a par with BA, maybe even a slight preference for BA.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed? Well, the posting is not always greener on the other side since that seems to be the only focus of this thread.

No food in business class

It reminds me of those parents who think that their kids are the only ones in the world to criticize their parents that much and go about trying to tell them: "see, little Mabel's mum also read her texts on her phone and told her she was never to write to that boy who said he wanted them to kiss again and Mabel found out that the boy was a psycho and thanked her for it, so see?"

So I am sorry to confirm that Flyertalkers from all airlines in the world tend to report it on their forum when their airline does not deliver part of the service that it is supposed to and which they care about, just like all the little Mabels in the world tend to be unhappy when they find out that their Mum has read their texts without their authorisation.

PS: Several of us have also regularly chosen not to claim EC261 compensation on BA when we were affected by eligible incidents and would have been entitled to it but thought that BA had done what it could to reaccommodate us and we don't expect a medal for it nor post in the AF or LH forum to suggest that it means that it is only AF pax who make such a big fuss about cancellations and long delays. It is, ultimately, a personal decision based on one's continuing relationship with an airline as well as handling of specific problems and impact of specific incidents.
dodgeflyer and fransknorge like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 24, 2020 at 12:44 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
There is no BA-is-the-worst-airline-in-the-world brigade.
and the earth is flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.