Wiki Posts
Search

To check in or not check in?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
To check in or not check in?

We will be flying BA58 CPT-LHR tomorrow (boohoo). I was too late to get seats in J and the flight looks packed. There have been no offers of any POUGs. Just wondering If an online check in will scupper any remaining chance of an upgrade - what do the team think?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Checking in online as early as possible is believed to be neutral to positive, but not detrimental in terms of opup potential
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I almost always check in as early as I can; I've never had an op-up but I think resigning yourself to flying in the cabin you booked and 'securing' a reasonable seat is generally the right approach. If there was no J available and no sign of POUG I'd guess upgrade chance is pretty low anyway, I'm fairly certain they can still sell you an AUP at bag drop/in the lounge (assuming there's one at CPT, don't know the airport myself)
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Best to check in but not to save or print the boarding pass. That way you can still change your seat if a better one becomes available.

By checking in you are making it clear to BA that you intend to travel, so if anything an opup is more likely.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
We will be flying BA58 CPT-LHR tomorrow (boohoo). I was too late to get seats in J and the flight looks packed. There have been no offers of any POUGs. Just wondering If an online check in will scupper any remaining chance of an upgrade - what do the team think?
I do not think there is any difference in checking in or not (in terms of getting an upgrade), however what you could do, is when you get to the airport (with OLCI or not) head to a desk and ask if they have any upgrades that you can buy - you never know, they might offer you a price which is acceptable to you.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
There is one seat for sale in F if one of you is prepared to consider leap-frogging J!
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Starship73
Checking in online as early as possible is believed to be neutral to positive, but not detrimental in terms of opup potential
It is slightly positive. Generally BA prefer to do involuntary upgrades at the gate, when they know for sure what the situation is. But CPT is one of those often overbooked locations where they will do invols well before departure, often 20 hours out, and these will go to those who did OLCI. Checking in late, particularly if without seat assignment, has the opposite effect and should be avoided. Generally, however, people get what they pay for. If UuA appears on the day of travel then you would need to get offloaded before the UuA could be completed, that's the only downside I can think of now that POUGs (like AUPs) can be done after check-in.
gypsyjaney and Goldaviator like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thank you to all who have advised. I will do as I have been told directly OCI opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.