Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New route Podgorica

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:39 pm

The drive from Dubrovnik around kotor bay then through the mountains from budva to Podgorica was really stunning scenic drive, took me about 3 hours with a stop for a coffee
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:54 pm

I flew Montenegro Airlines from LGW to Tivat some 4 years ago. Very basic but acceptable for the short flight. At the time I think it was an all economy flight, no alcohol drink trolley service and dry sandwich for food. Tivat airport had a quick passport control and smooth exit. I left from Podegrica and after that would choose Tivat any day.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
I flew Montenegro Airlines from LGW to Tivat some 4 years ago. Very basic but acceptable for the short flight. At the time I think it was an all economy flight, no alcohol drink trolley service and dry sandwich for food. Tivat airport had a quick passport control and smooth exit. I left from Podegrica and after that would choose Tivat any day.
Interesting thanks they offer business class now but it's significantly more expensive than BA. They seem to only have 4 aircraft too! They often seem to get diverted if delayed as Tivat airport closes as it has no runway lights for evening flights! So would hate to book that then get delayed and diverted to Podgorica. I'm sure the drive is lovely in daylight and when not rushed.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:12 pm

The drive is interesting but there is a big drop in elevation from Podgerica to the sea. The main road down the mountain is smooth but has a few sharp hairpin bends that my wife hated. I don’t think I would really want to do the drive in the dark and after a long day. Podgerica city though is a bit of a dump and not the best place to spend a night.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
The drive is interesting but there is a big drop in elevation from Podgerica to the sea. The main road down the mountain is smooth but has a few sharp hairpin bends that my wife hated. I don’t think I would really want to do the drive in the dark and after a long day. Podgerica city though is a bit of a dump and not the best place to spend a night.
That's what I wondered we're both experienced drivers and travellers but is it too much in the evening? Thinking about staying overnight in a local hotel instead any thoughts on that?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:37 pm

As I said Podgerica is not nice and if I remember quite a drive from the airport (25 minutes?). If there is a close airport hotel that could work but as to where I can't help. Tivat is much better and the approach through the mountain valleys is one of the best you will ever experience.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf
That's what I wondered we're both experienced drivers and travellers but is it too much in the evening? Thinking about staying overnight in a local hotel instead any thoughts on that?
You really don’t want to be taking the mountain road in the dark, think Top Gear alpine switchbacks. But from memory the main road is the tunnel under the mountain anyway.

As for hotels, you’d be doubling back into Podgorica which doesn’t really make sense.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Hopefully within 2 miles of Kotor, Google maps says it takes 1 hour 45 mins, so by the time we've picked up the hire car that's probably over 2 hours so a very late arrival say about 10pm and driving a hard route in the dark. I just asked about airports and lounges so I knew what to expect. I asked about views on montenegro airlines as they land at Tivat in the afternoon and it's closer.
Tivat would really make a lot more sense then ... It's super close to Kotor .. Driving down from Podgorica and arriving at midnight trying to find your hotel isn't impossible, but if it's easily avoided then I certainly would choose to avoid it .. the main road (E80) with the tunnel and then up the coast is okay, but it's a ~90 minute drive and you won't see any of the nice views anyway at that hour .. there is no merit to staying in Podgorica anyway, it's a singularly uninspiring place ( but the rest of the country is lovely, good choice !)

If you do go to/from Podgorica definitely avoid the switchback road up the back of Kotor .. It looks shorter but it really isn't and would be quite dangerous at night. The switchbacks are okay and definitely good to drive up for a sunset view from Kotor, but the bit on the plateau after them is really narrow and slow and quite dangerous even in daylight.

Last edited by EvilDoctorK; Feb 22, 2020 at 10:22 pm
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Yes Tivat would be better but I'm unsure about Montenegro airlines reliability and their reviews are terrible, wish BA had picked Tivat instead! Who do you fly to Tivat with?
Google maps gives me 3 choices of route all very similar distances, one as you say approaching Kotor from behind around Lovcen national park, do you mean avoid that? Then 2 others both going through Budva firstly one form the north the M2.3 similar to the first route towards Kotor but then deviates south to Budva before I guess a sharp right back upto Kotor. The 3rd route which Google maps thinks is the quickest, goes to Vranjia across Skadar lake then to Petrovac then to Budva along the coast. Which route would you advise please? I've attached a link showing directions to a random place in Kotor, not sure it will work though. Many thanks, it sounds like you know the area well.

Last edited by paulaf; Feb 23, 2020 at 3:47 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
The route that Google chooses is the one to go for .. there's a long tunnel before it joins the coastal road which means unlike the other routes you avoid having to drive up and over the coastal mountain range

The northerly one through the national park is the one to definitely avoid .. to be undertaken at leisure in daylight it can be charming, but with the clock against you at night don't do it
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
The route that Google chooses is the one to go for .. there's a long tunnel before it joins the coastal road which means unlike the other routes you avoid having to drive up and over the coastal mountain range

The northerly one through the national park is the one to definitely avoid .. to be undertaken at leisure in daylight it can be charming, but with the clock against you at night don't do it
Many thanks that's very helpful. Still toying with flying with Montenegro airlines but the reviews are dreadful old aircraft and many delays.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Many thanks that's very helpful. Still toying with flying with Montenegro airlines but the reviews are dreadful old aircraft and many delays.
YM currently have 3 perfectly nice Embraer 195 planes (all around 10 years old) and one ancient Fokker 100 they're getting rid of after the summer (as well as a second Fokker in storage). It seems the F100 is scheduled on the LGW-TIV route, and I would definitely prefer to avoid it.

If you want to get to Kotor before nightfall, which is eminently sensible, you might want to consider connecting on LH in FRA or MUC to TIV (weekend flights only iirc), or on OS in VIE to TGD for a 14:15 arrival, giving you ample time to drive to Kotor. If you decide to fly to DBV and get a rental car you're likely to be charged a hefty fee for taking the car out of Croatia/EU; also avoid weekends as the border crossings usually have the longest queues then.

If you don't need a car during the rest of your stay in Montenegro, the TGD airport website advertises fixed-fare taxis to Kotor for 55EUR. Just a thought.
paulaf likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for this, yes I noted it was the Fokker too on Montenegro, presume you'd avoid due to its age and therefore safety?
Like the look of Lufthansa as it flies to Tivat, do you think 1 hour 20 mins is long enough to connect in Frankfurt and likely to get luggage through? Business class fare is not too bad either.
we're hiring a car and have put myself of DBV due to the border crossing issues.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
If you can buy the ticket with 1hr 20 as a valid connection time then in theory it’s possible. Reality might be different
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
If you can buy the ticket with 1hr 20 as a valid connection time then in theory it’s possible. Reality might be different
Yes I understand about MCT but is Frankfurt difficult to negotiate? suppose also depends if flying in and out of different terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.