Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

3rd Weekend of disruption.... Met office yellow warning

Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.

Seems the met office are warning of yet another disruptive storm, rain, winds etc, possibly hitting UK this weekend. Looks like it may only be the far West of the country getting it from current models.

Any insight from our amateur weather forecasters and BA ops experts. My declared interest is SOF/LHR/MAN Sat afternoon.
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:16 pm

something and nothing I think this weekend... would be my interpretation
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:20 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I go through LHR today and tomorrow so hopefully not. The prediction for tomorrow are windy and gusty, but in lines with the last few days.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Since storms have received names they get so much more attention.... it used to just be "unsettled" or "wet and windy"

So much more dramatic now
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Note well:

As it stands, the current rain and winds, arising from the sequence of occluded front, cold front, and troughs blowing through the skies above the UK, are not considered significant enough to be named, so as yet there is no "Storm Ellen".

As usual, a number of our more sensational rags (Express, Sun, etc.) are just taking the next name off the Met Office list and using it.

I've also flagged the thread with the Mods for a title edit. Hope the OP does not mind.
tuonopepper likes this.

Last edited by mjh0; Feb 21, 2020 at 6:01 am Reason: Flagging thread for title edit.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
If you want to find out more about why storms are named, and the series of names for this year, have a look at this article.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Since storms have received names they get so much more attention.... it used to just be "unsettled" or "wet and windy"

So much more dramatic now
I think the Met Office just felt a bit left out. You wouldn't want proper storms in the UK though.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Don't knock UK storms too much. If some of them were in the tropics, they'd be Category 1 hurricanes. Yes, I know hurricanes go bigger, but even Cat 1 is not to be trifled with.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:51 am

Not sure that hurricanes are bigger although they have higher wind speeds.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Not sure that hurricanes are bigger although they have higher wind speeds.
Well, hurricanes are circular, whereas the storm fronts we get tend to be linear. I could surmise that hurricanes cover larger areas.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Not sure what things are like at LHR but we recently boarded the 891 to head back from Sofia.

Everyone was on 5 mins before departure time but captain announced a 30 min departure delay due to ATC restrictions for high winds back home.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:49 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Business as usual at LHR. BA73 is delayed but this is due to a late arrival of the crew at the aircraft. Board is looking good. It is breezy but nearly parallel to the runways.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:11 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
In the West of Scotland it has been ‘blawin’ a hooley’ all night. We’ve had rain, hail, snow, sun, wind, thunder, lightning. Don’t think I’ve missed anything out!

Saw a tweet earlier from GLA airport advising passengers to allow plenty of time for their journey to the airport.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Blowing a gale up in MAN. Glad to be (still) on the ground.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:40 am

Tyneside has also been very windy overnight and this morning, with fairly heavy downpours at frequent intervals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.