Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is Zero to Silver from LON to NYC possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Centurion, Virgin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I have a CW reward flight booked from LHR to NYC the weekend 14-15th March. I am currently Bronze as I use Avios for 90% of my flying but it infuriates me that I cannot preselect a seat without a horrendous charge - even when travelling Club.

For this reason I would be happy to consider paying a cash flight to try and get silver which will last me another 20 months. Tax was £682 alone.

Issue is my TP balance is currently zero. Are there any reasonably priced options to get me to NYC from 12 or 13th March to 15th where I could either hit or almost hit silver? I can always do a quick European hop a few weeks after for some remaining TPs.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC
I got 280 tier points for a MAN>LHR>JFK (WT+) & JFK>LHR>MAN (Club world) so I would imagine you'd need a couple of J round trips to get it with a straight forward routing such as this. Not sure what an F return would get, I'm by no means a tier point aficionado but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Last edited by LBA_flyer; Feb 20, 2020 at 6:46 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If you are Bronze remembers you get free seat selection from 7 day same prior to departure.

An LHR --NYC return in club would net you 2x140 TPS, most European routes are 2x40 though some like LHR to HEL are 2x80

A HEL-LHR-JFK in club return would get you 440. Positioning flights another 160 so there is your 600.

no idea how expensive that would be.though.
groenroos likes this.

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by controlz
I have a CW reward flight booked from LHR to NYC the weekend 14-15th March. I am currently Bronze as I use Avios for 90% of my flying but it infuriates me that I cannot preselect a seat without a horrendous charge - even when travelling Club.

For this reason I would be happy to consider paying a cash flight to try and get silver which will last me another 20 months. Tax was £682 alone.

Issue is my TP balance is currently zero. Are there any reasonably priced options to get me to NYC from 12 or 13th March to 15th where I could either hit or almost hit silver? I can always do a quick European hop a few weeks after for some remaining TPs.

Many thanks!
In a word: No.

But how about going to Portland (PDX) instead? There is a good fare for that and you could start ex-EU and route via JFK for 640TP return for around GBP 1,200.

In addition to the 600 tier points you also need to have 4 BA/IB metal flights (cash tickets, not redemptions) under your belt.

If you're already Bronze then you'd be able to pre-assign your seats in CW 7 days prior to flight departure.

For the cash outlay needed in order to obtain Silver status, it's probably a good idea to weigh up whether the additional cash outlay for paid tickets to hit status stacks against the paid seat allocation price. Also worth looking at First redemptions as no charge for reserving seats in F.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Feb 20, 2020 at 7:00 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer

But how about going to Portland (PDX) instead? There is a good fare for that and you could start ex-EU and route via JFK for 640TP return for around GBP 1,200.
I wish I could but I need to be in Manhattan that weekend!
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
If you're already Bronze then you'd be able to pre-assign your seats in CW 7 days prior to flight departure.
There's very little choice by that point in time - certainly for my favourite seats anyway.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
@UKtravelbear beat me to it.

Start NYC trip from Helsinki making sure you travel both ways via London and position to HEL in CE. It isn't necessarily a cheap option but if you are making the trip anyway you can do some creative accounting in your head to make it seem better. It was the trip I did to get Silver several years ago.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by controlz
There's very little choice by that point in time - certainly for my favourite seats anyway.
You have more choice than anyone who has to wait till OLCI.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
In addition to the 600 tier points you also need to have 4 BA/IB metal flights (cash tickets, not redemptions) under your belt.
"Eligible flights" don't necessarily have to be BA/IB metal. Any of these count as one of the four flights, so long as the flight earns Avios and TPs:-
  • BA code, operated by anyone.
  • Anyone's code, operated by BA.
  • IB code, operated by IB.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If you are Bronze remembers you get free seat selection from 7 day same prior to departure.

An LHR --NYC return in club would net you 2x140 TPS, most European routes are 2x40 though some like LHR to HEL are 2x80

A HEL-LHR-JFK in club return would get you 440. Positioning flights another 160 so there is your 600.

no idea how expensive that would be.though.
I was going to suggest the same routing. Just checked on ITA Matrix and departing HEL on 11Mar returning from JFK 16Mar returns a fare of €3,427. If you can delay until 7 April you can get a fare of €1,639.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

Hi Tafflyer

Just starting to play with ITA Matrix using the excellent advice on FT

Do you mind if I ask, where Ex EU would you be starting from to get the fare to Portland?

Then I presume its LHR, JFK, XXX, XXX, Portland(PDX)

​​​​​​Which airports would you suggest as the XXX's
to get the 640 tp's or there abouts?

Cheers
​​​​
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Fly AA instead of BA. Seat selection is included. You get the same amount of tier points and avios, with an all round better experience.
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
What about (EU/UK)-LON-US-US-US-NYC-US-US-US-LON-(EU/UK). You'd have to find a very versatile fare to support so much travel on the east coast, but it would land you at 600 TPs. e.g. AMS-LHR-MIA-CLT-PHL-JFK-PHL-CLT-MIA-LHR-AMS.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Fly AA instead of BA. Seat selection is included. You get the same amount of tier points and avios, with an all round better experience.
no you dont, you get less avios on AA

for example, a blue travelling LHR to JFK earns 4315 avios on AA in J or either 5187 or 8645 on BA. Once you get to gold this is 7767 vs 8645/12103 on AA and BA respectively.
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.