Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA9 LHR-BKK, It Is What It Is

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by muoitrieu
Let's just say company policy keeps me in Y even though PE and sometimes discounted J would have been cheaper. Another thread I'm sure.
They keep you in Y and put you on one of the worst BA planes. Are you sure they don’t try to get rid of you? 😂
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ermis177
They keep you in Y and put you on one of the worst BA planes. Are you sure they don’t try to get rid of you? 😂
I won't lie. The thought did cross my mind.
NoY, adrianlondon, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by mfgr
i flew 4 BA flights as required last year.
I will never fly with them long haul unless absolutely necessary.
Last 3 times i have not even had a hello from the crew and the plane has been filthy

CX / QR had CSD come to say hello on boarding and come check again just before landing - both in Y and J - they even brought me a glass of champagne before taxi on QR when i was in Y!
and on UL they brought me a piece of cake and a glass of bubbly for my birthday - 5 minutes after midnight - just after we reached cruising altitude.

i'm not sure if it's the effects of the endless BA/Unions back and forth, but onboard service on BA has really has plummeted over the last 5 years
A real shame as i always looked forward to a little piece of home when boarding in the far east each time
You are not required to do 4 BA flights. You can do 4IB or 4 BA codeshares on other airlines instead. You can maintain status without ever setting foot on BA.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

BA to the US was so far always ok alas the planes sometimes where old. IAD was super old, the screens where those tiny square ones but the A/C was clean and the service very good. LAS was brand new 777 outbound and and tiny square IFE inbound but both ways it was clean and the service was great.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
Indeed.

The worst flight I have ever experienced on BA was to EZE; frankly disgusting crew in CW.
BKK and EZE get the same aircraft. the NAS-GCM flight too. It's the Rolls Royce powered 3-class 777-200s [G-YMMA/-R/-S-/T-/U]. Club hasn't been updated since 2006 and WT and WT+ since 2000. These birds are pretty much last in the Club suite & new-IFE upgrade schedule, so don't expect this to change any time soon.

BA fly significantly newer products on all their leisure routes from LGW, so BA's management are being pretty clear they don't want your money on these routes. There's a reason Norwegian started flying LGW-EZE
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I've skimmed this thread and haven't seen anyone mention this, so I'll try and explain a couple of issues -

As you're likely aware, BA don't offer every seat for upgrade like AA do. They'll happily fly with empty premium seats rather than let people upgrade. A lot of people like this about BA, as when you pay for CW or F you're not suddenly surrounded by last minute upgrades. Of course, the flip side is the one you're commenting from. Also, flying Y there's a cabin between you and CW - WTP. It's not always possible to make a two cabin jump at the airport - even for cash. Similarly that spare CW seat could have been allocated for crew rest.

The wifi going out for 4 hours towards the end of the flight sounds like it's probably as you flew over India. India doesn't allow any airlines to run wifi whilst in its airspace.

Other airlines such as JAL and QR are indeed fairly hot when it comes to seeking out OWEs. BA don't do this. They're supposed to make an effort to seek out pax who are Gold in BAEC, but this rarely happens - so OWEs have little chance getting much extra onboard. I'm not saying this is right; I'm just saying that's how it is on BA. Personally I find the verbal rimming that comes from QR crew when you sit down as a OWE to be cringeworthy; so I'm usually glad to be left alone on BA. That said, when AA treat me as CK key and I get SUVs to the plane, etc. as a BA GGL it's often really appreciated, so I get the hypocrisy of my comment about wanting to be left alone on other airlines.

However... clearly you've experienced some absolutely unacceptable things on this flight. As others have said, BA9 has an awful reputation, Those toilets are absolutely grim. The response for having no IFE or power is seriously lacking. And their response is derisory with a $50 voucher. I'd go back, remove the parts of the complaint that they can't help (wifi over India, no upgrades, etc.) and focus on the parts that your ticket entitle you to (working IFE, clean toilets and cabin, proactive crew when things go wrong, in seat power).

They owe you a lot more than $50, I reckon. The issue may have been that parts of your complaint that aren't necessarily complaints may be obscuring the parts of your complaint that are.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've skimmed this thread and haven't seen anyone mention this, so I'll try and explain a couple of issues -

As you're likely aware, BA don't offer every seat for upgrade like AA do. They'll happily fly with empty premium seats rather than let people upgrade. A lot of people like this about BA, as when you pay for CW or F you're not suddenly surrounded by last minute upgrades. Of course, the flip side is the one you're commenting from. Also, flying Y there's a cabin between you and CW - WTP. It's not always possible to make a two cabin jump at the airport - even for cash. Similarly that spare CW seat could have been allocated for crew rest.

The wifi going out for 4 hours towards the end of the flight sounds like it's probably as you flew over India. India doesn't allow any airlines to run wifi whilst in its airspace.

Other airlines such as JAL and QR are indeed fairly hot when it comes to seeking out OWEs. BA don't do this. They're supposed to make an effort to seek out pax who are Gold in BAEC, but this rarely happens - so OWEs have little chance getting much extra onboard. I'm not saying this is right; I'm just saying that's how it is on BA. Personally I find the verbal rimming that comes from QR crew when you sit down as a OWE to be cringeworthy; so I'm usually glad to be left alone on BA. That said, when AA treat me as CK key and I get SUVs to the plane, etc. as a BA GGL it's often really appreciated, so I get the hypocrisy of my comment about wanting to be left alone on other airlines.

However... clearly you've experienced some absolutely unacceptable things on this flight. As others have said, BA9 has an awful reputation, Those toilets are absolutely grim. The response for having no IFE or power is seriously lacking. And their response is derisory with a $50 voucher. I'd go back, remove the parts of the complaint that they can't help (wifi over India, no upgrades, etc.) and focus on the parts that your ticket entitle you to (working IFE, clean toilets and cabin, proactive crew when things go wrong, in seat power).

They owe you a lot more than $50, I reckon. The issue may have been that parts of your complaint that aren't necessarily complaints may be obscuring the parts of your complaint that are.
Thanks. This is on point and helpful.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was about to make the same point as Wozza2404, in fact I would say that in order to have an involuntary upgrade - or even an AUP - normally I'd be expecting more than 1 spare seat. There are good reasons for having a spare seat available on departure.

For the Wifi, if you don't think you had good service, IAG readily refund complaints in full. They can check downloaded/uploaded data flows and if they look low then a refund is quickly provided, should take about 3 days.

For the problems with the seat, I agree £50 sounds too low (assuming the OP paid more than a trivial sum for the ticket), an Avios refund (if that is of value to the OP) may be easier to negotiate. However at the end of the day it's up to the OP to define what is the correct refund amount, which may well be based on the amount paid for the ticket. Some aspects don't count - failure to provide upgrade, self upgraders etc - but no power, no iFE - are definitely in scope. So the OP should work out what would be a reasonable, rational reimbursement, and then press for it. At least in the UK consumer law would largely support the OP in whatever was an appropriate determination.

Is this a routine problem on BA's services to BKK? It would seem unlikely since there are quite a few regular users, who clearly have alternative options. Equally, a set of problems like this could equally happen on a far shorter trip on a recently refitted new aircraft.
muoitrieu likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was about to make the same point as Wozza2404, in fact I would say that in order to have an involuntary upgrade - or even an AUP - normally I'd be expecting more than 1 spare seat. There are good reasons for having a spare seat available on departure.

For the Wifi, if you don't think you had good service, IAG readily refund complaints in full. They can check downloaded/uploaded data flows and if they look low then a refund is quickly provided, should take about 3 days.

For the problems with the seat, I agree £50 sounds too low (assuming the OP paid more than a trivial sum for the ticket), an Avios refund (if that is of value to the OP) may be easier to negotiate. However at the end of the day it's up to the OP to define what is the correct refund amount, which may well be based on the amount paid for the ticket. Some aspects don't count - failure to provide upgrade, self upgraders etc - but no power, no iFE - are definitely in scope. So the OP should work out what would be a reasonable, rational reimbursement, and then press for it. At least in the UK consumer law would largely support the OP in whatever was an appropriate determination.

Is this a routine problem on BA's services to BKK? It would seem unlikely since there are quite a few regular users, who clearly have alternative options. Equally, a set of problems like this could equally happen on a far shorter trip on a recently refitted new aircraft.
Excellent points. I'm incorporating these suggestions now. Thanks again.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Regarding recognition, I think part of the issue is just that there are, frankly, so many OWEs on the average BA flight it complicates things somewhat vs. other airlines, both due to i) OWE being much easier to earn on BA and ii) London itself having a high concentration of OWEs compared to many other cities meaning I think there are just a higher percentage of OWEs flying on any flight that touches London.

Looking at how difficult it is to earn OWE flying, say, a relatively discounted LHR-HKG J class ticket on QR:
- BA requires minimum 3 round trips (plus a couple of cheap BA short-haul flights)
- QR requires minimum 5 round trips
- CX requires minimum 6 round trips
- JL requires minimum 7 round trips (actually, it's not even possible to earn it here without a lot more flying as half of this total distance needs to be on JL metal only)

Not seeking to make excuses, but it stands to reason BA will find it more of a commitment to seek out all the OWEs on a particular flight. AA is slightly more difficult to earn than BA, but still requires less flying than any of the other airlines above.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Well here’s a data point if anyone from BA is listening. I have a business trip to BKK coming up in April. It would have born close to full fare J (although I always try to to economise for my partners!). There is no way on earth I am going to travel on that flight and I will try QR instead...
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:32 am

well having read this thread, i'm definitely not looking forward to my CW flight from LHR-EZE so much any more
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
A couple of alternative routes for those needing some more efficient to BKK. You have Thai who have a twice daily service and even Eva Air for a daily. Albeit not OW you should still get a far superior service and cheaper.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: BA executive club
No emerald deserves the flight experience the OP got from BA. But after reading all the comments above I wonder why the OP should bother to seek any further compensation from BA. The only reasonable thing to do seems to forget about BA in the short and medium term and to fly airlines with a better Y product (soft and hard) in the future. Further discussions and exchanges with BA will probably only lead to more frustration. In these days and on some routes you can still be a happy person flying BA if you keep your expectations very low. That's the whole secret.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ayearinmx
well having read this thread, i'm definitely not looking forward to my CW flight from LHR-EZE so much any more
I wouldn't pre-judge an airline product solely on the negatives posted to an internet discussion forum . To be fair even positive comments can often be misleading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.