Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA9 LHR-BKK, It Is What It Is

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
It would be good to know whether BA CC have specific responsibilities in the toilet cleaning department. Only once have I encountered something that I found really unacceptable (in a Y toilet on BA to HKG, close to the end of the flight). I raised it with an FA, and was politely told: sorry, it's not my responsibility to clean the toilets. Maybe that's just the way it is?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
The thing is, I doubt things will change for this reason...

If BA makes a good profit then they think ‘Why do we need to spend money improving our game, we make good money and loads are fine’

If people stop flying BA and their profits fall then they will say ‘We need to reduce costs to make us more profitable, so cleaning and maintenance gets worse’
In other words a self-perpetuating decline. From other threads I've read I think it started a long time ago. It's a shame as I want to see my 'home' (Subjective!!) airline do well. When I read negative views of FT'ers on here whom use BA but not necessarily British by nationality It makes me wonder what they think of my country in general if that's the attitude of the national airline. Q. Am I opening a can of worms here and is this narrative going Off Topic?
ML
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
In other words a self-perpetuating decline. From other threads I've read I think it started a long time ago. It's a shame as I want to see my 'home' (Subjective!!) airline do well. When I read negative views of FT'ers on here whom use BA but not necessarily British by nationality It makes me wonder what they think of my country in general if that's the attitude of the national airline. Q. Am I opening a can of worms here and is this narrative going Off Topic?
ML
Now’s probably not the time for that conversation - maybe in 5-10 years.

Back on topic, I’ve always avoided BA9/10 partly because the alternatives are always so keenly priced and so good. BA is very much my “home” airline, but when almost all the alternatives are significantly better and cheaper (some requiring a stop, obviously) I just don’t see why one would pick BA. My usual preferred is Qatar in J, but Eva and Thai do the trick pretty well particularly when I’m down the back in Y.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I would say because on the whole, London is many airlines key destination, so you'll often get many airlines best / most modern aircraft heading to SE Asia, and the carriers that consumers typically use are superior in Y. To Bangkok / Thailand in the last 5 years i've used: BA, EVA, Thai (the 3 direct carriers), QR, EK, CX, SQ, MH and as long as I can avoid an airlines 10 across 777 or 9 across 787 I would put each and every one of them above BA in Economy. The one exception i've had is flying to Koh Samui via Singapore and using BA's A380 as the connections are good (and prices very decent).
But what has aircraft type got to do with not keeping the lavatories clean?

I don't think folk complain that the aircraft are old: they complain because their interiors are generally shoddy, not well maintained, and (specifically in this thread) because of filthy lavs. Other threads focus on the general grubbiness of BA aircraft. This careless, slipshod attitude to maintaining the cabin environment fresh and inviting seems unique among the carriers I fly with regularly.
muoitrieu and LiHS like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But what has aircraft type got to do with not keeping the lavatories clean?
Oh nothing at all, that's simply inexcusable.
IAN-UK and muoitrieu like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC
I don’t get why BA toilets are always so basic. They’re fine for WT and WTP (if clean) but I think CW and F could do with a nicer design to make them seem more elegant.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:39 am
Suspended

We’re mistaking BA for a business who cares.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by icegirl
I suggest eating on the ground and seeping throughout the flight. Maybe just indulge in a small nightcap before lights out and a light breakfast near to landing.
I'm not sure this would improve the cleanliness of the cabin let alone the loo
T8191 and icegirl like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft
We’re mistaking BA for a business who cares.
I get BA wants to make money but there’s a point where you have to stop as a ‘Premium Airline’.

BA could charge you to read the HighLife magazine, charge you for IFE but that would be ridiculous for a Full Service carrier. With regards to the toilets, an airline like BA should ensure the toilets are clean throughout the flight, at whatever cost.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I get BA wants to make money but there’s a point where you have to stop as a ‘Premium Airline’.

BA could charge you to read the HighLife magazine, charge you for IFE but that would be ridiculous for a Full Service carrier. With regards to the toilets, an airline like BA should ensure the toilets are clean throughout the flight, at whatever cost.
In my case, even though I wasn't charged for IFE, I was essentially told to take a lesser seat or suck it up at the very last minute. I've been disappointed plenty of times about missing an upgrade, but to make the downgrade list randomly is definitely the worst. Sometimes accidents happen and we cannot control things, we've all been there. I get it. But BA could have proactively tried to make it up somehow, and it would have gone a long way to impress me that it's a premier airline. A bump to PE or Club at the start would have been amazing. But I understand this is totally discretionary and it's a total privilege, not a right. But other simple things like offering WiFi to stream entertainment content (BA.air had this feature), helping me recharge my iPad or just offering some champagne would have a gone long, long way for me. As they say in business, especially hospitality, always try to "create value" for your customers so that they have authentic, positive experiences. Instead, I observed and felt the "standard of service" package hit me one after another after being randomly being selected for the downgrade seat: lack of power ports, loss of 1/3 wifi coverage, refusal to help me recharge, seatmate gets away with sneaking into PE, and then the toilet situation. Not to mention, after writing in to customer service, I was offered a $50 coupon.

So here's a test, if you were selected for the downgrade seat, and offered a $50 coupon on your next flight with BA, how many among us would be utterly eager to jump at that chance?

​​​

Last edited by muoitrieu; Feb 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Let’s face it, much of BA (ground, air, staff, aircraft, IT) is shabby but functional much of the time. Any pretensions of being ‘World Class’ are a bit of a joke.

I readily acknowledge I’m not a frequent flyer, but typically 50k miles a year on BA gives me some perspective. It’s “OK” in the basic A>B transport aspect, but there’s no way I could ever enthuse about it. It doesn’t do what it says on the tin, and the Meerkat Bullshine really annoys me. It’s average, but makes money for the shareholders ... and people still fly with them. Regardless of rants on here about ‘never flying with BA again’ have pax levels dropped? Does BA still shift tonnes of freight every day?

I continue to use them for personal convenience, due to the route network and the FFP, but that’s about it. And we always travel with hygeine wipes!
muoitrieu likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
EZE is another route that regularly gets an old bird
Indeed.

The worst flight I have ever experienced on BA was to EZE; frankly disgusting crew in CW.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
I readily acknowledge I’m not a frequent flyer, but typically 50k miles a year on BA gives me some perspective. It’s “OK” in the basic A>B transport aspect, but there’s no way I could ever enthuse about it. It doesn’t do what it says on the tin, and the Meerkat Bullshine really annoys me. It’s average, but makes money for the shareholders ... and people still fly with them. Regardless of rants on here about ‘never flying with BA again’ have pax levels dropped? Does BA still shift tonnes of freight every day?

I continue to use them for personal convenience, due to the route network and the FFP, but that’s about it. And we always travel with hygeine wipes!
Alas, it is what it is.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by muoitrieu
Alas, it is what it is.
Yes, but as we only travel in J it is rather disappointing. The deficiencies in WT+/WT must be even more depressing, but I could guess that they have lower expectations.
muoitrieu likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:17 pm

I definitely wouldn’t accept £50 for poor service and a broken IFE, I would go back and try again.

Ironically, the more people who fly BA, the worse the experience will get. Not only will it lose some exclusivity (especially in the premium cabins) but the management will just see increasing loads with declining service, proving they can lower the offering and people won’t switch airlines.

Unfortunately us BAEC members can’t hold a strike (or could we ) and can only opt to fly with different airlines. However, this is quite hard for me who mainly uses European leisure flights, as BA is one of the only ‘Premium’ airlines flying direct to your holiday hotspots (Canary’s, Greek Islands, Croatia). I would like Virgin to fly to Europe and then maybe BA would have to up their game.

Also, by BA reducing services and thus flight prices (in some cases), they are able to capture some passengers who would have picked a LCC but are now excited they can fly BA.

However, at the end of the day I am studying Economics and understand BA just wants to maximise its revenue and they’re simply trying to find the point where they can operate with the lowest costs while retaining passengers and not driving everyone away.
muoitrieu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.