Feb Family sun using 241 Amex ?

Old Feb 19, 20, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Question Feb Family sun using 241 Amex ?

Hello

I am likely to have 2 companion vouchers due to be issued in the next 2 weeks, as both my wife and I will tip over the £20k Amex spend on each of our cards soon

We love our Winter sun, and want to take our two pre-school kids away in Q1 2021.

Where is good to go, with decent availability for 4 seats in Club World using companion vouchers? Kids are 3 and 4, so they will each need their own seat

I've looked at South Africa, Maldives, and Mauritius on seatspy.com and rewardflightfinder.com, but there doesnt seem to be any availability for 4 people in CW in Jan or Feb next year.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Have you looked at the Caribbean? BA flies to many destinations, innumerable hotels on various islands, and it’s a good time of year. We’re heading there in 10 days!!

Many hotels/resorts are child-friendly (we avoid those!!). Have a look at BA Holidays to give you an idea of what’s around - the 241 is a different matter, but at least that will give a convenient overview.

Of course, as BA only releases 2 seats at a time, getting 4 will be a challenge!
nollag likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Oman, and specifically the Crowne Plaza Muscat. Warm and sunny, pleasant local people, nice food, very family-friendly (Omani cultural life is very family-centered), no religious nutcase police to arrest you for kissing your wife/husband on the beach, overall not a very expensive place.

The Crowne Plaza has a pool and a private beach for sand and sunbathing. It's not great for going out and swimming (rocky in the shallows), but there are nearby beaches which are good for going in the water.

Off the beach, there are markets (the souk at Muttrah and others), shopping, ancient forts, trips into the mountains (an hour or two drive), etc. Rent a car, they're cheap. 4WD not required as all roads you might need to drive on are either good dirt tracks or very modern paved highway - just mind the speed cameras, they're as omnipresent as in London.

Wide-open in J on the direct flights in January and February.

If you need award seats then there are some on some flights but not 4 on any flight. 4 award seats on the same aircraft is going to be hard without a joker.

Last edited by flatlander; Feb 19, 20 at 7:46 am
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Would you consider splitting the family on two flights to the same destination? MIA, SIN, HKG, DXB, LAX, MCO, CPT, JNB all places whereby you could fly 2 + 2 within a couple of hours of each other - and then set an alert up and pay the small change fee should further seats appear on the same flight
nollag and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Some great suggestions so far - keep 'em coming.

What do folks think to LHR - KUL, with a week or two in Sabah? Is it going to be too much with pre-schoolers in tow?
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:47 am

If you're willing to take a second flight to your final destination, maybe the beaches of Thailand or Malaysia (assuming Coronavirus isn't still an issue then). There are flights available to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore then, and regional flights are usually very cheap plus they are also worth visiting for a few days. Or, you could look at Cancun with flights to Mexico City and then a connection (or flights to the southern US). There is also quite a lot of availability to Miami at that point next year - you could do the Keys, Florida beaches, or hop on a flight to the Caribbean or Cancun. And finally, how about the UAE or Oman?
nollag likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:49 am

I don't think there's many days with a release of 4J to KUL - it's a smaller 789 cabin. As noted, plenty of very cheap options from SIN
nollag likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
I don't think there's many days with a release of 4J to KUL - it's a smaller 789 cabin. As noted, plenty of very cheap options from SIN
20 Jan - 3 Feb works for KUL, think that's the only option at present though
nollag likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by nollag View Post
Some great suggestions so far - keep 'em coming.

What do folks think to LHR - KUL, with a week or two in Sabah? Is it going to be too much with pre-schoolers in tow?
How well do The Smalls cope with ‘foreign food’?
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
How well do The Smalls cope with ‘foreign food’?
Sadly - not very well - they are people of simple plain tastes, but I presume you can get plain carbs and fruit and veg wherever.

I am open to correction on this assumption
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:49 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
If you are looking for inspiration, you could give https://seatspy.com/ a try. It has a where can I go feature where you plug the dates in and ask it for 4 seats and it'll tell you what's available.
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stuart_f View Post
If you are looking for inspiration, you could give https://seatspy.com/ a try. It has a where can I go feature where you plug the dates in and ask it for 4 seats and it'll tell you what's available.
The only problem with that is that you need to be very exact on the dates. At the moment, we are wide open for any date in Q1 2021

Thanks though
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:59 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by nollag View Post
The only problem with that is that you need to be very exact on the dates. At the moment, we are wide open for any date in Q1 2021
Too much flexibility! You don't hear that complaint very often on FT I appreciate how that can be a problem all of its own.
Old Feb 19, 20, 9:08 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Another big fan of SE Asia here, but it’s a long flight with a significant potential for jet lag. They do have fantastic fruit & veg, and you can easily find good western style baked goods. Caribbean is also good with a shorter flight, though in my opinion uninteresting but with small kids a beach/pool might be more than enough excitement for the young ones. Another potential is Goa (45 mins via BOM), but to be honest I’d suggest the Canary Islands. Shortish direct flight, no jet lag but also very limited value of your 2-4-1.
Old Feb 19, 20, 9:17 am

What about TLV. Uses CW and F and has availability, could even do CW out and F back by the looks of it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: