Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Organisational overhaul - Catering & Service [Senior management recruitment]

Organisational overhaul - Catering & Service [Senior management recruitment]

Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Id love to take charge of BA menus, however Id get slaughtered on here when getting rid of afternoon tea.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Id love to take charge of BA menus, however Id get slaughtered on here when getting rid of afternoon tea.
Bin the dead under-filled sandwiches, serve a selection of decent cakes with good tea/coffee and the jobs yours. You may retain the scone/jam/clotted cream!
icegirl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I find the "Inflight Service Standards Technical Writer" to be an interesting role. The most widely-held view (probably) about BA on this forum is that the inflight service is inconsistent, and one of the most frequent comparisons with other airlines (QR, CX, etc) is that the service on the other airlines is consistent.

Now is this because of the people, or because of the documentation and training that they are provided?

In general, and in particular in the short term, one goes to war (or business, which according to some is only war carried on by other means) with the army one has and not the army one wants. One can train better the army one has, and part of training is good source and reference material - clearly written and well edited.
T8191 and icegirl like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by icegirl
They have done one thing and that's they canned Mark Tazzioli the former Menu Design Manager. A total nob if I ever met one.

Going forward I would like to see them bring in someone like Anita Newcourt MBE TD. A true British diplomat who used to run Heathrow's Royal and VIP ground services.
She was the lady on Airport wasn't she? I always thought that she had the best job ever
icegirl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
She was the lady on Airport wasn't she? I always thought that she had the best job ever
indeed she was! What makes her so unique is she is a British Army Officer - Lt Col.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by flatlander
I find the "Inflight Service Standards Technical Writer" to be an interesting role. The most widely-held view (probably) about BA on this forum is that the inflight service is inconsistent, and one of the most frequent comparisons with other airlines (QR, CX, etc) is that the service on the other airlines is consistent.

Now is this because of the people, or because of the documentation and training that they are provided?
Probably some of both, and enforcement as well. It's human nature to find shortcuts and if they can be done without consequences then the shortcuts will be used again, no matter what the official documentation says. If the people are not held accountable to the training and standards, then the inconsistencies will appear.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
It appears BA is in the process of doing a complete major overhaul for improvement for catering and service.

They are currently recruiting for a host of positions including.
  • Menu Development Executive
  • Inflight Hospitality Design Executive
  • Catering Operations & Performance Executive
  • Inflight Hospitality Design Manager
  • Catering Operations & Performance Manager
  • Catering System Pricing Analyst
  • Catering System Provisioning Executive
  • Inflight Service Standards Technical Writer
  • Executive Chef & Culinary Design Manager
  • Senior Performance Consultant

Reading through the job specs, they do seem to be very thorough and are not holding back. The one role that did stand out for me is the Inflight Hospitality Design Executive
They need all this to figure out that their onboard service would be improved by ditching buy on board I imagine.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
One of the bigegst criticisms I hear from BA cabin crew friends is that they gat asked to implement service changes - and they are not averse to improving the customer experience - is that have simply not been tested in in-flight conditions so are just not practical on board.

Working at a gaxillion star hotel or restaurent is not the same as working on a plane and they should be recruiting someone who has practical experience of that.

Remember the TV programme when some celeb chef designed a new menu that of course worked n a large kitchen on the ground but basically failed in the air. Remmber the 'nasal douche'?
I agree, pinch someone from the nunber 1,2, 3 in your own industry as the backbone and supplement from hospitality industry proven people. The latter will generate fresh ideas, the airline veterans will tell them which will/won't work.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
There does seem to be an abundance of champagne and caviar types..... Decent hearty food done well is fine with me.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:00 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by babats
All they need to do is read the threads on FT!
God help anyone that actually takes notice of what they read here. How do you actually gain a balanced point of view when you read description like revolting egg salads. ( not had one of those) not lumps of Brocoli, and not liking the yogurt starter with the tomatoes which I now do at home. Theyre all subjective and individualistic opinions which may not be bourne out by crew findings.

Clearly, change is afoot. It sounds to me that there are lots of fancy job titles, most of which ai really dont fully comprehend. Indeed why they have such a swathe is interesting as well. Personally I think that these are poisoned chalices that youd have to pay me a Kings ransom to even consider.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
In BA parlance, executive is the bottom ladder in management.
Indeed, executive as in to execute, i.e. to do. The more managerial one becomes, the less one actually does.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
God help anyone that actually takes notice of what they read here. How do you actually gain a balanced point of view when you read description like revolting egg salads. ( not had one of those) not lumps of Brocoli, and not liking the yogurt starter with the tomatoes which I now do at home. Theyre all subjective and individualistic opinions which may not be bourne out by crew findings.

Clearly, change is afoot. It sounds to me that there are lots of fancy job titles, most of which ai really dont fully comprehend. Indeed why they have such a swathe is interesting as well. Personally I think that these are poisoned chalices that youd have to pay me a Kings ransom to even consider.
Next time you actually fly BA (rather than just talking about it) go look at how many of the items I outlined go back on the cleared trays either rejected untouched or uneaten.

Also go talk to the crew who see the same stuff rejected day in day out when you have a chat about it when waiting for the loo. When you do that rather than make assumptions then it is noticeable that there are certain items most of the cabin does not eat. That generates huge food waste that an actual test and trial could have vastly reduced. And lets face it, airlines and their employees still really need to get their act together on waste.

All that said, if the phone isnt ringing or the inbox full, I wouldnt get too worried about any poisoned chalices heading in your direction.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
All roles have now been pulled... cost cutting?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Both BA and Easyjet were quoted in the news today about having concerns about losses related to coronavirus. Easyjet stated they were pulling all recruitment, pay-rises etc and offering unpaid leave. I wouldn't be surprised if BA do the same. So, I guess the roles could reappear if Coronavirus blows over quickly.
icegirl likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Ill put the positive spin on it and say maybe they have had overwhelming amount of applications and decided to pull the adverts. Or the adverts had a 30 day expiry. Or they have filled the positions. Just because they are advertised, does not necessarily mean they are open positions.

But as we know BA, maybe it is all just another quick rash decision based on....ohh how much is that
icegirl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.