Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MAN T3 [Fast track security eligibility for OW Sapphire]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Flying to LHR in morning sapphire OW so group 2 boarding will that get me through fast track at security
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:29 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
I'm not sure you would be better off in Fast Track. Fast Track yesterday was anything but fast. Long queue to get through the Fast Track entry vetting desk (I bypassed and then reentered by the scanners by showing the boarding card). The scanners were so sensitive that most trays were queued for secondary inspection. It even rejected my business suit. This took over 30 minutes before the tray got to the front of the inspection desk though they didn't bother to check - merely sending it round for scanning again. Incompetent security arrangements. Lucky I wasn't pushed for time.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LPQ
I'm not sure you would be better off in Fast Track. Fast Track yesterday was anything but fast. Long queue to get through the Fast Track entry vetting desk (I bypassed and then reentered by the scanners by showing the boarding card). The scanners were so sensitive that most trays were queued for secondary inspection. It even rejected my business suit. This took over 30 minutes before the tray got to the front of the inspection desk though they didn't bother to check - merely sending it round for scanning again. Incompetent security arrangements. Lucky I wasn't pushed for time.
sounds like fun! Getting there in plenty of time so hopefully won't be to bad not flying till 905 and due to get airport for 630 so will see what it's like
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Security at 2pm Friday was terrible. I was advised I wasn't eligible for the Premium lane (CE and Silver) and directed to FastTrack, although before the scanners it just merged with the standard lane. As LPQ said almost every bag had been pulled for inspection and the crowds waiting were awful (around fifty people per lane). Bags were being kept on trolleys in the central area as there wasn't enough space to store them while waiting. Fortunately, for some reason, an officer randomly picked mine up and passed it through the scanner again which worked, otherwise I suspect the wait would have been well over thirty minutes. Perhaps a busy day, but otherwise no wonder they got the award for UK's worst security!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by stevebintley
Perhaps a busy day, but otherwise no wonder they got the award for UK's worst security!

Sounds about normal for Manchester. There are days when it's a shade better, others when it's worse. Pity us regular users. Seems the remote inspection scanners are set to maximum sensitivity because of the bollocking the airport received after the pipe-bomb farce, and subsequent checks: might be an urban myth, but it's a comforting explanation to mull over as you wait for a blameless bag to go through a secondary search.

I believe the Premium security process you refer to is the new top-tier of payable access. I don't think any airline has shown willing to pay for it for even their most-loved passengers.

Those smart marketing bods at MAN had to make sure the regular security experience AND Fastrack were miserable enough to persuade folk to cough up for the Premium version. Flying out of T1 last week, our Fasttrack line now merges with the front of the regular line - as it has done for a long time in T2.

What was the dedicated Fastrack scanner position has become the Premium scanner: fully manned and waiting for punters - but not a single one went through it in the time I was there. That's Manchester's idea of efficiency

Your introduction to Manchester's dysfunctionality will come if you arrive by train, bus or tram - you'll find the moving walkways between the station/transport hub and the terminals are out of commission again. Flags were out when they briefly worked a month or so back, but they're now back to their normal stasis.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by stevebintley
no wonder they got the award for UK's worst security!
I can't think of anywhere in the world that I've been to (and I've been to a few places) where the outbound security processing is worse.

I'm just amazed that they get away with it (or maybe not).
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
It’s a conspiracy to make us all use the PremiAir terminal (which is lovely and on offer for Ł75 at the moment).
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Your introduction to Manchester's dysfunctionality will come if you arrive by train, bus or tram - you'll find the moving walkways between the station/transport hub and the terminals are out of commission again. Flags were out when they briefly worked a month or so back, but they're now back to their normal stasis.
With or without moving walkways, the improvised obstacle course from station to T3 is a shocker - a perversely roundabout route using a random mix of existing walkways, lifts, escalators, stretches of pavement with kerbs, ramps, pinch points and no continuous shelter from the elements. Navigating it in driving rain with luggage does not inspire charitable thoughts for Manchester Airports Group.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Here's the blurb on the new T3 Premium Security option:

Our dedicated Premium Security lane gets you straight to the front of the security queue, and our personal service gets you through security and into the departure lounge in under 3 minutes*. This is our fastest route through security for a quick, stress-free start to your trip. Security is a breeze with priority access.
  • From just Ł8 per person
  • Dedicated security lane offering personal service
  • Get through security in under 3 minutes*
  • Our fastest security experience
  • A stress-free start to your trip
  • Ideal for business and leisure customers
  • Open from 4am to 7pm
  • Limited availability
* Your baggage must adhere to aviation security requirements
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Crofton138

Our dedicated Premium Security lane gets you straight to the front of the security queue, and our personal service gets you through security and into the departure lounge in under 3 minutes*. This is our fastest route through security for a quick, stress-free start to your trip. Security is a breeze with priority access.
  • Open from 4am to 7pm
  • Limited availability

The ASA rapped airport knuckles for the three minute claim. They seem to have added some caveat to it, but the claim still seems ropey.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Crofton138

• Open from 4am to 7pm
  • Limited availability
Business and leisure customers, does that not mean litterally everybody?
Such a nice marketing speech
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SirToby
Business and leisure customers, does that not mean literally everybody?
Such a nice marketing speech
Yes, but it is designed to make people feel included rather than excluded by implication...
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Mods another MAN dysfunctionality thread!

Yes the airport is not fit for purpose IMHO - and that of many others.

But again this is a thread degenerating in to a list of personal experiences - - all believable -- perhaps a MAN forum outwith the BA forum may be a useful way for the mayor of Manchester to deal with his only local flight facility other than Barton?

IME T1 flying AY is fine other than the business class lounge. T2 for CX and QR is usually tolerable.
Telecasterman and PeteM01 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Modo
Yes the airport is not fit for purpose IMHO - and that of many others.

But again this is a thread degenerating in to a list of personal experiences - - all believable -- perhaps a MAN forum outwith the BA forum may be a useful way for the mayor of Manchester to deal with his only local flight facility other than Barton?

IME T1 flying AY is fine other than the business class lounge. T2 for CX and QR is usually tolerable.
Your complaining about people sharing their personal experience; that is directly relevant to many people travelling BA in the BA forum? Indeed as you point out security is better on the non-BA terminals and so I would suggest that this experience is particularly relevant to those flying BA from MAN.

This evening, no queue for security in Fast Track or normal queue and I was through in well under 90 seconds, in stark contrast to my usual experience.
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes, bizarrely 5.30pm generally seems to be a good time to go through MAN T3 security and as long as something doesn’t trigger secondary screening (a BIG if), then it’s possible to be through in a couple of minutes, Fast Track or not. With secondary screening, all time bets are off.

I’ve also never seen anyone in the “premium” lane.

oh, BTW to the OP, yes I believe that OW Sapphire and / or CE provides fast track..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.