Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you mean there’s no Campari?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:40 am
Original Poster

What do you mean there’s no Campari?

Said I in the F lounge this evening. Nor are there tumbler glasses available, just ‘hi-balls’. Now I am a very tolerant person but this is simply unacceptable. I shall just have to see how many more glasses of fizz I can quaff until my delayed flight is called.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It got deselected many moons ago, and though I gather it is now somewhat back in vogue, it may take a little while before the idea wafts in over Waterside.

Drink choice in the lounges is largely directed by mega-deals between BA and the large brewers and distillers. Niche items quite routinely get squeezed out.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Reading the original post I realised I didn't know the difference between a tumbler and a highball. Wikipedia says "A highball glass is a glass tumbler that can contain 240 to 350 millilitres...." so I don't feel any better informed now about the distinction the OP is making. Any clues?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:26 am

High ball is a tall straight glass like you’d get a coke in

tumbler is shorter and fatter

not sure that’s very much help!
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Reading the original post I realised I didn't know the difference between a tumbler and a highball. Wikipedia says "A highball glass is a glass tumbler that can contain 240 to 350 millilitres...." so I don't feel any better informed now about the distinction the OP is making. Any clues?
If I were to hazard a guess, campari + lowball/tumbler would be close to the required ingredients to make a Negroni.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by qasr
If I were to hazard a guess, campari + lowball/tumbler would be close to the required ingredients to make a Negroni.
Indeed. Unless you plan to make a Negroni, why would you need a tumbler for Campari. (Ok, there are a few others...)
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:11 pm

If you want Campari you need to fly from Luton

Last edited by bricksoft; Feb 17, 2020 at 4:13 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
There's no soda water in the lounges any more, so I suppose a Negroni is the only option left ..
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bricksoft
If you want Campari you need to fly from Luton
That’s some price.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Never tasted Campari...is it similar to Fernet which seems to be the choice of drink amongst Boca Juniors supporters?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Highball = Tom Collins . Taller than its diameter by 3X or so. Easy to tip over.
Tumbler, more often called an "Old Fashioned" glass = old fashioned, on the rocks, etc. Diameter and height pretty similar. Hard to tip over.

Both stemless.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'd say these are first world problems..... but that is making light of first world problems. I really hope some of you never encounter real adversity.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Never tasted Campari...is it similar to Fernet which seems to be the choice of drink amongst Boca Juniors supporters?
Not at all like Fernet. Campari and Aperol are made by the same company but Campari is more bitter than Aperol.
Fernet Branca Menta reminds me more of Jägermeister but more minty.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by qasr
Not quite! Missing is gin and vermouth. My preferred ones are Tanqueray 10 and Punt e Mes. Plus a spritz of orange oil.

Doc Copper (at a cocktail bar somewhere).
expataus and TheChangingMan like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
the first and only time I had Campari I thought it tasted like one of the less nice cough medicines
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.