FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Avios announces new partnership with Barclays Premier Banking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2009404-avios-announces-new-partnership-barclays-premier-banking.html)

ringingup Feb 17, 2020 3:48 am

Avios announces new partnership with Barclays Premier Banking

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...emier-banking/

British Airways has today announced a new partnership between Barclays Premier and the Avios loyalty scheme.

Benefits of the new collaboration will launch “later this year”, and will include Barclays Premier customers being able to earn Avios through their current account “and other banking products”, as well as receiving “additional loyalty benefits and experiences”.

Exact details of the partnership have yet to be confirmed, with BA stating that “Barclays Premier customers and British Airways Executive Club members will be able to find out more details on the new programme, including eligibility and how to pre-register, later this year”.

According to the Barclays website, eligibility conditions of Premier Banking are “An annual gross income of £75,000 or more paid into a Barclays current account, or £100,000 or more saved or invested with us”.

Commenting on the news Andrew Crawley, CEO of the Avios Group said:

“We are always looking for new partnerships that will benefit members. Working with Barclays, their customers will be rewarded with Avios which can be redeemed in so many exciting ways including British Airways flights, car rental and experiences.”

ringingup Feb 17, 2020 3:49 am

Wasn't there some kind of promotion with Barclays recently?

I also remember many people actively discouraging switching to Barclays Premier back then.

mikeyfly Feb 17, 2020 3:53 am

I've had Barclays Premier for a few years, and the rewards have been cut significantly, so this is a great result.... I was previously having a Patisserie Valerie most days... some freebies from Thorntons...

gingerlucy Feb 17, 2020 4:24 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 32080991)
I've had Barclays Premier for a few years, and the rewards have been cut significantly, so this is a great result.... I was previously having a Patisserie Valerie most days... some freebies from Thorntons...

Same, I miss the free Pat Val coffees! And the Picturehouse membership used to be free, not 40% off. Ah well, here's hoping.

Raffles Feb 17, 2020 4:43 am

The offer in October was a trial. It was meant to be secret but FT and ourselves ruined it! To be fair to Barclays, they gave the Avios to everyone who applied even though they could easily have refused (they changed their website wording on the day we published our article to claim it was targetted but it was too late by then).

It was 25k Avios in October for opening an account so that is presumably what will be coming back.

Not sure how Drew Crawley is still issuing quotes given that he resigned before Christmas but there you are! Technically he is under contract for a few more weeks but I am told there is no sign of him.

ringingup Feb 17, 2020 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 32081068)
It was 25k Avios in October for opening an account so that is presumably what will be coming back.

And perhaps some day to day earning?

RG1X Feb 17, 2020 5:22 am

Hmm... if the Avios bonus comes back then I might consider opening an account.

nunu73 Feb 17, 2020 7:12 am

Interesting - I did an online survey a couple of days ago that mentioned those parameters along with the "what would you accept as a reward" to open the account.

Options ranged from ...k avios per month and a 2 for 1 voucher, ...k avios per month and a cabin upgrade voucher, carbon offset of all reward flights, 20 trees planted per year of holding the account. Fees between £8 and £15 per month.

Richardc77 Feb 17, 2020 8:13 am

I’d be interested in an account for 25k Avios sign on, not sure I need more than one companion voucher a year, but will be interesting to see what other benefits they might add in...

2ilent8cho Feb 17, 2020 9:02 am

Shame it is just Premier banking and not available for those who don't earn 75,000 a year + :(

Fatdickie Feb 17, 2020 9:27 am

Originally Posted by 2ilent8cho (Post 32081869)
Shame it is just Premier banking and not available for those who don't earn 75,000 a year + :(

Yep. I'm sure some of us are trying to imagine what that would look like piled up on the kitchen table in used £10's.

RG1X Feb 17, 2020 10:28 am

Would be nice in used 10s. Taxman wouldn't be getting it then. :D

fruitcage Feb 17, 2020 10:36 am

For some reason which I don't understand, Barclays have given me premier banking for years and I'm sure I don't meet their criteria nor even close. (No I don't have any corporate relationship with them either.)
Having said that I'm not sure I've ever had any benefit from it - just somebody phoning me to try to flog expensive financial products every so often.
So if I get some Avios or vouchers or some such to use with BA then I'll be very happy.

Raffles Feb 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by 2ilent8cho (Post 32081869)

I think there would be a run on Barclays shares if they started paying out £250 to Avios (plus another chunk to intermediaries) to get people to open standard loss-making current accounts!

It is POSSIBLE, and this is pure speculation, that this is linked to the Amex credit card contract and the retendering / possible breaking of .... There are not many games in town if BA switches to a Visa / MC option, especially given that £1bn+ per month goes through BA Amex cards. Only Barclays and Lloyds (MBNA) could handle that volume.

ahmetdouas Feb 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Isn't it better to do the Citigold 100,000 avios if you can afford it?