Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios announces new partnership with Barclays Premier Banking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios announces new partnership with Barclays Premier Banking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nunu73
ranged from ...k avios per month and a 2 for 1 voucher, ...k avios per month and a cabin upgrade voucher... Fees between £8 and £15 per month.
Would have to be substantial benefits at ~180 a year, especially when the HSBC premier Mastercard yields 0.5 avios (and the Amex PP is ~195/year with 1.5 avios and a companion voucher)
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Isn't it better to do the Citigold 100,000 avios if you can afford it?
Do Citi now and then switch to Barclays when it launches in a few months!
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Isn't it better to do the Citigold 100,000 avios if you can afford it?
What's this? I've been out of the loop for some time.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Yep. I'm sure some of us are trying to imagine what that would look like piled up on the kitchen table in used £10's.
OT, but when I first joined a bank many years ago, I remember filling up an ATM with way more than my annual salary.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Raffles
It is POSSIBLE, and this is pure speculation, that this is linked to the Amex credit card contract and the retendering / possible breaking of .... There are not many games in town if BA switches to a Visa / MC option, especially given that £1bn+ per month goes through BA Amex cards. Only Barclays and Lloyds (MBNA) could handle that volume.
So we need to be ready to trigger one last BA Amex voucher at any time?

I would normally presume that there would be some notice given before the current Amex partnership benefits are withdrawn, but I don't like to count chickens any more given how Amex has behaved in the last couple of years.

It would be interesting, though, if MBNA were to do this given that it has relatively recently withdrawn from the airline miles market.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X
What's this? I've been out of the loop for some time.
Found it... too rich for my blood.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:59 pm

£150k invested for 50k !
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:03 pm

So assuming existing customers get zilch in way of kick off incentive. Bummer as I’ve had a personal and business account with them for the past 16 years. Although it would be good to earn extra Avios on everyday spend.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:59 pm

I joined Barclays Premier following the offer posted by Raffles / Head for Points. When I applied, the website did state that the offer was limited to recipients of the promotion email - however Barclays still gave me the points.

Absolutely love the account - free English Heritage membership and since I have a Barclays mortgage and Hilton Barclaycard I get £36 a month in cash back for the first year.

In addition, I have a personal Relationship Manager (rather than the generic team) who is local and always willing to visit me either at home or at the office.

The fact that I'll also be able to earn Avios and possibly Avios related rewards makes me a very happy bunny. (and off topic: as does the fact that I get Hilton Gold with the Barclaycard without min. spend and for as long as I have the card).

Incidentally, the threshold isn't £75k gross income. Since people pay variable amounts of tax, the threshold is based on £3,800 being paid into your account per month.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Avallon
Incidentally, the threshold isn't £75k gross income. Since people pay variable amounts of tax, the threshold is based on £3,800 being paid into your account per month.
Is that an average (that you're aware of), or are they fans of that being a regular minimum?

I'm self employed, so some months it might be zero... others, significantly more.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:09 am

When I joined years ago I was recommended by a friend. The only check was them asking how much I earnt, I was below threshold at time so I ‘embellished’ my income figure. Since then I’ve had good and lean times, income had never been of questioned by them.
RG1X likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:13 am

duplicate
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:17 am
bzc

Programs: BAEC Silver
I believe you can already earn avios with HSBC Premier (which has similar entry requirements). Any idea which of these "premier" accounts is best?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bzc
I believe you can already earn avios with HSBC Premier (which has similar entry requirements). Any idea which of these "premier" accounts is best?
HSBC Avios earning is through the credit card, 0.5/£ for the free 1/£ for the paid the latter of which gives lounge access with no guests. The free travel insurance on the HSBC Premier Current account is very good as it can cover, albeit with potentially an additional fee, existing conditions. We'd need to see the terms of the new Barclays account to know for sure.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X
Is that an average (that you're aware of), or are they fans of that being a regular minimum?

I'm self employed, so some months it might be zero... others, significantly more.
It is an average over a year. There's no automatic mechanism for you to be disqualified but they may ask for proof of income upon opening of the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.